SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did SIG ever make a full Nickel P229 (9mm)? ** Magazine Karma **
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did SIG ever make a full Nickel P229 (9mm)? ** Magazine Karma ** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I know they made the full Nickel P229 in .40, but am pretty sure they never made one in 9mm. If they did, I've never even heard about it.

I have this factory Nickel P229 (9) mag that I bought from a member here several years ago by pure accident. He advertised a Nickel P228 mag, but then he realized he made a mistake (it was a P229 mag). But, I said I would take it anyway. Not only was this a factory Nickel P229 mag, but it has "P229 9mm" rollmark on it, has dovetailed back, and is pre-ban. Not sure I've ever seen another one like this. Confused

*** So, if you have a factory Nickel P229 (9), post a pic here with your forum handle written next to it, and the mag will be yours. ***

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
Does a Nickle Slide 228 Two-Tone with all Nickle controls NOV05 GOTM (Gun of the Month) count?

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easiest explanation would be that it’s a mis-stamp

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandPotter:
Does a Nickle Slide 228 Two-Tone with all Nickle controls NOV05 GOTM (Gun of the Month) count?

Only P229 (9) in full Nickel. That's the purpose of this thread. Wink

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
Easiest explanation would be that it’s a mis-stamp

If you're saying it was supposed to be a P228 mag, there are no P228 mags in existence that are stamped with the "9mm" right next to the model number. At least not that I've ever seen any.

And, a "9mm" right next to "P228" would be redundant. Wink

Q

posted Hide Post
Yes they were made. I bought it used from a Sig Forum member FTF here in Orlando in 2010.

My File photo. I have to to go locate the gun so I can take another photo with my Sig Forum identifier. Second photo to follow

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope I am not making a fool of myself by saying I have something I do not. The Sig Forum member I purchased it from (posted 7-26-10) said it was a full factory nickle gun that he had purchased from another Sig Forum member two months previously. In my experience it shows no signs of being anything other than what he says it was. The factory case it came with is period correct but had no confirming stickers to fully prove its provenance.

As one of the foremost experts on the forum I will leave it up to you to determine if it meets your guidelines.

Thank you.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Your 229 looks great.

I have a 226 in Nickel, and not sure what my 228 is made of, but I sure like them both.

Red...

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Yes they were made. I bought it used from a Sig Forum member FTF here in Orlando in 2010.

My File photo. I have to to go locate the gun so I can take another photo with my Sig Forum identifier. Second photo to follow

quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
I hope I am not making a fool of myself by saying I have something I do not. The Sig Forum member I purchased it from (posted 7-26-10) said it was a full factory nickle gun that he had purchased from another Sig Forum member two months previously. In my experience it shows no signs of being anything other than what he says it was. The factory case it came with is period correct but had no confirming stickers to fully prove its provenance.

As one of the foremost experts on the forum I will leave it up to you to determine if it meets your guidelines.

Thank you.

Very nice looking Ni P229(9).

I had two P229(9)s in blued, serial numbers AD 12937 and AD 12938 that were produced in 1994, before the AWB, that the mags had the date clock indicating they were made a few months before the law took effect.

Your gun's serial number AD 26988 would put it also in 1994 production year, but likely after the AWB went into effect? What does your mag look like? Anything like the mag in this thread? Is it original? and it does appear to have a date clock, from the second pic. Your gun should be in the original gray SIGARMS plastic case as correct for the year/period. Just as an aside, to see if this case is actually original to this gun, you can pry off the foam insert's right side and check for a hidden factory label there, like the pic below shows.

Since your gun's outer soft cardboard sleeve, which has the label with the relevant factory finish info, is missing, there is no way to know with certainty the original source of the Ni finish. But, I'm ok with it. This Ni P229 mag should have a better home anyway. So, email me your shipping address, and it will go out on Monday. Thanks.

Q

posted Hide Post
Upon further inspection, the case is not correct to the gun. The case came with the gun but is not the correct case. In addition there was no secondary hidden label on the side of the foam

The Magazine received with the pistol is not nickle but does have a date code of 01/1995. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if they were shipped only with Nickel magazines, I would assume they were.

The grip date code is 10/1994 which seems to come close the the serial number/date list and your information.

I am satisfied that it is a factory nickel pistol; but the other parts and pieces (case and magazine) give me some hesitation to accept your generousness Karma. Could we wait to see if anyone else has a more correct and better documented pistol so that this obviously uncommon magazine goes to the correct place.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
1/95 dated mag that appears to be full capacity? It's got to be LE marked?

Anyway, if no one shows up with a confirmed factory Ni P229 (9) by Monday, it's all yours.

Btw, if you check at the "factoids" thread in my sig line and look at the pic of the boxes/cases, the one labeled #3 is the correct case for the year.

And that gray case should come in the outer soft sleeve, as shown below, to be complete.

Q

posted Hide Post
The 01/1995 magazine, double checked, is a full capacity magazine, 13 rounds, dovetail; has no Law Enforcement Only markings.

I do have a spare #3 case; I appreciate your posting that. I will review your Factoids posting again. I obviously forgot that that information was there.

Also the manual that came with the pistol is the three language version.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 01/1995 magazine, double checked, is a full capacity magazine, 13 rounds, dovetail; has no Law Enforcement Only markings.

That's interesting. How did the '95 full cap mag escape LE marking?

Q

posted Hide Post
Not that I expect it happened, someone may have placed a later floor plate on an older magazine tube.

I mentioned the manual; it is indeed the 88-94 manual as shown in your Factoids. A bit of trivia; it is marked for the 229 only; the front cover is robin egg blue in color, not light red as for the 228.

I took a closer look at the magazine. It is exactly like the KC-KD Preban-KE magazine you show on your factoids so that puts it in the same general date range as the pistol. Could these pistols have been shipped with non-nickel magazines?

I scanned your factoids and did a search of the forum. Do you know what type of trigger lock came with this period gun?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, at that time, the P229 had its own blue manual. And, there were no locks included.
I don't know about the Ni P229, but all other P-series full Ni SIGs were shipped with Ni mags. P220, P225, P226, P228. The Two-tone guns, however, were shipped with blued mags.

Q

posted Hide Post
I got a factory nickel 229 9mm preban magazine nickel metal too
Bought it on this forum as well
Just got to figure out how to post a picture.

Posts: 64 | Registered: December 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about the Ni P229, but all other P-series full Ni SIGs were shipped with Ni mags. P220, P225, P226, P228. The Two-tone guns, however, were shipped with blued mags.

Interesting I have a 228TT that I bought used years ago that arrived with a Ni mag; I always assumed it was original, but now it would seem not.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

That's interesting. How did the '95 full cap mag escape LE marking?

Non-US magazines made during the ban did not have the LEO markings on them. I was living in Australia during the later half and the mags there were like that. Always thought about buying a few and sending them home.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazine generously offered by 12131 arrived today. It was perfect and deeply appreciated. I will have to look for another matching magazine; I did not know what was correct until; corresponding with 12131.

We all know that 12131 is one of our "Experts"; every day he shows what a knowledgeable and honorable man he is. Thank you.