SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reset does not drive my bus. A thought that came to mind reading Jjones Semi Auto Rapture Thread.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reset does not drive my bus. A thought that came to mind reading Jjones Semi Auto Rapture Thread. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So as I was reading the thread asking what would you use if semi autos didn’t exist a thought popped into my head.

I wonder how many shooters born and raised on Glocks or really any modern striker fired handguns who live and die by running the reset would cope with running a DA revolver?

I mean I try to shoot to reset with whatever I shoot but growing up with DA/SA and DA revolvers as well as preferring DA/SA hammer fired guns today, reset doesn’t “drive my bus so to speak”. I mean, hell, I love my P30 and that trigger resets the Thursday after you fire it. Smile

I just wonder how long it would take folks to wrap their head around that LONG release of a double action trigger. I have always said crappy triggers speak to me......hence my HK penchant, Razz that said I feel like my being able to shoot crappy triggers let’s me run a far wider variety of guns then many folks I see at the range today.

Anyhoo, just a thought that came to mind. Millions of Striker owners suddenly trying to come to terms with pistols that don’t reset a muscle tremor away.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People can adapt to different systems if they are willing to practice. This ain't rocket science.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't have to have a short reset, but I sure do like it, and it definitely makes me faster. All of my P-series Sigs have an SRT kit installed, because I greatly prefer it. But I can shoot a revolver or a DAO semi-auto just fine, too...I'm just a little slower.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's doable. In my early career, my primary duty/carry guns had shorter resets (DA/SA Sig P-series and S&W 3rd gens, then Glocks) while my backup/pocket guns had longer resets (S&W 642 and Kahr PM9).

But I confess that I strongly prefer a shorter reset, and have moved fully away from DA guns with long resets.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For the record I was thinking less about the average member here as I would surmise the vast majority of us have experience with a wide range of platforms.

I was thinking more of the guy who has ONLY known his Glock(s).

I have taken many of those folks shooting and although, like was said, it’s not rocket science they do however have a REALLY difficult time with anything not striker fired. Many end up enjoying other platforms but most seem to be completely lost at first.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was lucky. I grew up with DA revolvers and 1911's. Stick in in my hand and my finger knows what to do.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Just curious if trigger reset actually plays much of a role in stressful shooting cituations? Or even heavy action gun shooting competitions? In a defence shooting, one would need to be near robot to actually utilize the reset or, removed completely from emotion. I suppose were it trained and practiced with every trigger pull one ever fires, with a particular weapon. All the posts and videos show empty, very slow reset of a trigger. Reset before and reset after some trigger/seer mods. If a bad guy was launching rounds at your carcass, are you, could you even be aware of a tiny trigger reset? I like the prospects but in reality...

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Just curious if trigger reset actually plays much of a role in stressful shooting cituations? Or even heavy action gun shooting competitions? In a defence shooting, one would need to be near robot to actually utilize the reset or, removed completely from emotion. I suppose were it trained and practiced with every trigger pull one ever fires, with a particular weapon. All the posts and videos show empty, very slow reset of a trigger. Reset before and reset after some trigger/seer mods. If a bad guy was launching rounds at your carcass, are you, could you even be aware of a tiny trigger reset? I like the prospects but in reality...

I have thought that as well. That said I tend to shoot to reset without much thought with whatever I am shooting. Now adrenaline dump.....I will probably be yanking the trigger damn near through the frame and repeating while screaming like a little girl(which we will just call my battle cry. Smile).

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Most of the shooting I have done, guess I just sort of accepted the trigger reset the gun came with. Over travel and trigger pull weight, smoothness and break have been a different story. I bet a guy like Hickok45 hardly uses the reset as he's discharging hundreds of rounds in various weapons every day. A lot of his shooting is fast engaging multiple targets. With all his talent, the reset probably plays into it very little. I would enjoy reading the thoughts of jljones or maybe that Beretta shooter who used to post videos here. Heck, a couple of the Pistol Smiths who are Members, sell the trigger reset mod so maybe they will weigh in on this.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I shot double action revolver and still do. I can appreciate a short reset and it feels great when dry firing, but when running drills at speed or in competition, I really don't notice it. The reset is not the main factor I look for in a handgun trigger.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Put several thousand (or maybe a few ten thousand) rounds shooting from reset, and that's all you'll do (going back to 'slinger's original point.)

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot a LC9 enough and anyone can be cured of Short Reset Dependence Syndrome.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
What I noticed in Force-on-force simunition training was it's all shoot-move-shoot. Reset didn't happen when getting off the x.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I do a fair amount of Force on Force training and instructing, and I can tell you that reset does happen in FoF, if you've trained with it enough. You need to have spent the time fully developing the ability to shoot to reset with that platform, in order to be able to perform that way under stress. If you have, then rapid accurate follow-up shots from reset come naturally under pressure. But if you have to think about finding the reset, you won't be able to do it under pressure, and will usually resort to fully releasing the trigger and then slapping it on follow-up shots.

The flip side is that, if you were to hand me a DA revolver or a Kahr today just before heading into a Simunition shoot house, I can basically guarantee that I will end up short-stroking the trigger at least once under pressure, since I'm wired for shorter resets through copious amounts of training with them, and haven't trained with long resets for years.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first began training with a sword, it felt like a golf club to me (and I don't play golf). More experienced hands could feel changes in the flex of the blade during a stroke, but I couldn't. Not at first.

Training to the fine edge of reset and no further during rapid shooting is honing of a skill. It's a fundamental, but a fine-edge one that is learning to use the whole envelope of the particular weapon. Some can slap the hell out of the trigger and not worry. Rob Leatham does that, and it doesn't slow him down or reduce his accuracy...but most of us aren't Rob Leatham. In fact, none of us are.

What works as habit or fine tuning on one platform doesn't necessarily work on another, any more than learning to cut with the sword makes me a better shooter. It doesn't.

Fine adjustments like finding the reset point and working off that won't work on a revolver, where short stroking will leave the shooter squeezing the trigger in vain, mechanically locked until it's allowed forward. Learn the weapon you're shooting.

When I started playing Native American Flutes, I found that they all differed; they're wood, they're not precision instruments. The best counsel I heard was to "play the one in your hand." Not the one on the shelf.

I think the same applies to firearms. Except keep them out of your mouth. Swords, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So sword wielding, flute playing, gunslinger........there is a movie here somewhere. Smile

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent replys and sharing of knowledge.

posted Hide Post
I'll be honest I didn't even think about trigger reset until the last couple years. I shot SIG classics, S&W revolvers and an M&P9, plus a smattering of colt revolvers and other things. I never though about reset and just tried to work the trigger smoothly. I knew the competition guys were serious about reset and it's effects on split times and the like but that was about it. Now that I've been told to think about it and practice it, reset is more of a big deal.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post