SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A Kinetic Lunch And Some Musings Or Range Day Fun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Kinetic Lunch And Some Musings Or Range Day Fun Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
WARNING COMPLETE STREAM OF CONSCIOUS RAMBLING TO FOLLOW. MAY CAUSE SEIZURES AND BOREDOM. PLEASE READ RESPONSIBLY. Smile

So I took a little kinetic lunch today at my local range. I brought along with me seemingly two very similar guns. Both black plasti......errr high tech, high impact techno-polymer frames Big Grin both well known, both well respected. Basically I brought two pieces of highly regarded tactical tupperware.

What I found funny is just how immensely different these two guns are.

I brought an HK45C and a Gen 4 Glock 17. Like I said, both highly regarded pieces of tactical plastic.

What made me smile shooting was just how incredibly different they are. The Glock so simple, so minimal, so sleek if you will. It reminds me almost of the old saying "Your choice of color, as long as its black." Slinging its little 9mm projectiles that have had so much technology thrown at them in the past decade.

The HK being a completely different beast. It is a complicated piece of machinery that feels like its built like a tank. Levers and buttons abound. Its DA/SA action being almost anachronistic in today's striker fired world. It launches its comparatively giant, old school projectile.

I love both of them. I love the differences between them. I love shooting them both, yet I chuckle at the fact that to a lay person they are the same thing when in reality they are worlds apart.

You see I am a gun guy. They are my hobby. Much like cars they all have personalities and offer certain joys of shooting, of ownership. I am not a gunfighter nor do I want to be one. I don't TRAIN, I don't run drills, I don't prepare to kick doors in. I shoot, innocently if you will and this type of variety really adds to my joy.

All that being said one of the first things I tell people who are just getting into shooting is find a platform you like and STAY WITH it. You see because I like them all and I shoot them all I simply cannot build the skills necessary to become really good with anything. I am more or less passable with just about everything but that is about it and today really drove that home to me.

I started off with the HK and my first few rounds I was throwing all over the place before I settled into a groove. I grabbed the Glock and it took a mag or so before I adapted over to its trigger system, feel and sights.

All in all today was a fantastic example of both why I love shooting and why I so enjoy the differences and variety of guns I own yet also is a perfect lesson to those really wanting to learn to SHOOT that finding that one platform and sticking with it is your best course of action.

I also realize the older I get that I really don't like trigger dingus'. The Glocks get a pass because they are iconic, robust, simple and have a huge support network. My PPS gets a pass because its a better Glock 43. Other than that I think I am going ditch my other dingus having strikers.

Anyway thanks for indulging my rambling and sharing of a simple trip to the range by a simple shooter. Not an operator, not gunfighter, not somebody looking for high speed low drag skills. Not somebody trying to teach high speed low drag skill. Just a low speed, high drag dude who likes everything with a trigger that sends a projectile down range.

As always take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post