SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New S&W Model 19 vs. old Model strength
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New S&W Model 19 vs. old Model strength Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
The original version had a warning (from users) about using too many 357 loads and/or the 125gr. round. Is the new Carry Comp version any sturdier than he original? The 2 1/2" unit has an appeal to it if it built stronger than the original.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC there was a weak spot in the forcing cone of original K-frames. This was the reason S&W didn't want them to have a steady diet of .357 Magnums. Also IIRC, that was engineered out of the new production K-frames. I would confirm this before shooting a lot of .357s through one, though.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had a carry comp. It went away because it was ridiculously loud, and blinding in low light. I figured out I don’t want a comp on a “carry” gun. Or anything else, really.

Posts: 26938 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I had a carry comp. It went away because it was ridiculously loud, and blinding in low light. I figured out I don’t want a comp on a “carry” gun. Or anything else, really.

It is stronger than the original. The forcing cone has more material and there is a ball detent for the lock up. Also, I wouldn't worry about it blinding you in low light. I don't think the comp makes it much worse than the flash coming out of the front of the barrel. Louder it is.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's stronger than the original. Shoot it without worry if you get one.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 19-6 from the original series. I sent the following to Smith & Wesson customer service:
quote:
Dear Customer Service:

I am the happy owner of a (new to me) mid 1980’s Model 19-6 with nickel finish. I have heard the rumor, more than once, that I should limit the number of .357 magnum rounds I fire through this gun, and typically use it with .38 spc.

Is there any truth to this, or will the cylinder and action take a lifetime of .357 shooting. I do not hand load, so I will always be running popular brand factory ammunition through the gun.

It fits my had beautifully and I look forward to enjoying it. Please advise.

Thank you very much,

They replied:

quote:
Hi, with the 19 we recommend standard .357 loads.

That said, I have largely shot 158 grain stuff, rather than the lighter, faster bullets.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want to see the issue, watch the video below. Skip to 2:15 to cut to the chase. This is about the current production 66 (vs old.) I would assume, but can't say I know for an absolute fact, it would apply to new production 19s.

Edit: I've found pictures of the new production 19s. They do NOT have the flat spot in the forcing cone. So they should be the same as the new production 66s.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, Sig forum is great way to gain information.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have the 19 K Comp and it’s very strong.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
If you want to see the issue, watch the video below. Skip to 2:15 to cut to the chase. This is about the current production 66 (vs old.) I would assume, but can't say I know for an absolute fact, it would apply to new production 19s.

Edit: I've found pictures of the new production 19s. They do NOT have the flat spot in the forcing cone. So they should be the same as the new production 66s.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bMVy-B0Oh6k" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

They are.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post