SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    West German P series pistols parts - what isn't available?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West German P series pistols parts - what isn't available? Login/Join 
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted
I'm looking to replace some of my old West German P series pistols (P225/P228) and wonder what parts are no longer available.

Specifically, is there anything critical that might make me think about collecting versus shooting the ratsh%t out of them, as I am hoping to do?

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot a number of SIG classic P 22x series, but have never owned a P225 (among others) so my comments are more general to the line. I started stocking up on spare parts probably 12-13 years ago.

In some cases the OEM parts are difficult to find, but there may be some aftermarket companies producing a replacement part.

- Original SIG grip plates in good condition are increasingly more difficult to find. Aftermarket replacements shouldn't be a problem.

- Original SIG Von Stavenhagen sights in the correct size(s) can be difficult to source, although there is a good variety of aftermarket sights.

- Original SIG triggers are getting harder to find, but not impossible. Aftermarket should cover those.

- I've never seen many Locking Inserts, Breech Blocks, or Firing Pins on the secondary market, and I'm sure originals are going to be tough to source. I'm not sure about aftermarket sources for these. It wouldn't surprise me if someone was making firing Pins.. but the Locking Inserts and Breech Blocks? I just dunno.

- Not sure about the Trigger Bars, but I'd like to have a couple spares.

- Original (early) P226 Trigger Bar Springs were discontinued and redesigned to the newer style.

- Original Extractors for the carbon steel stamped slides are tough to find, but I've heard tell of one or two aftermarket ones. Same for the original dual split roll pins. The design has been changed and I can't recall if the newer Spiral roll pins will work in the older slides. I'm still working off my stash of originals.

- Original (early) P226 threaded grip frame bushings and the narrow shank screws for them are damn near impossible to find now.

I'm sure there are probably some others as well, but those are the first ones that come to my mind.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed reply Savage. Seems like maybe I should grab a new series P229/228 to shoot and just collect the early guns.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Roll pins for the breech block are tough to find. Haven’t heard for certain if you can replace with a solid pin.

FWIW my German stamped/welded slide P226 is my main match gun, and I shoot my German P220 and P225 very regularly. That’s what they’re for. They’ll go thousands and thousands of rounds without issue and if/when something breaks, I’ll try to scrounge replacement parts. Like driving classic cars. It’s a little more inconvenient, but it’s worth the trouble.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Extractors are darn near impossible to find, as was mentioned.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Extractors, firing pins and firing pin springs have been made aftermarket for many years now, sold through Robertson Trading Post you can find them on gunbroker.com and gunsamerica or just go to their website.

https://robertsonstradingpost....-Aftermarket-P6P.htm

https://robertsonstradingpost....-Aftermarket-P6P.htm

same with firing pins for the old ones and firing pin springs.

https://robertsonstradingpost....ies-Pistols-P6PT.htm

I see a number of "parts kits" on SIG's website, I see a SIG employee answered a question about the P225 kit being compatible with german/w german P225's, its out of stock, I didn't see similar questions on the others so I myself asked that question if they're backwards compatible and if so then you have about all the items you need to replace between a SIG parts kit and firing pins/extractors from the aftermarket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
On this topic, where can I find original sights for a P220?

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post