SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    10mm vs Magnum caliber for Bear Country
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm vs Magnum caliber for Bear Country Login/Join 
posted
Black Bears have been seen on trail cameras, more now than ever. Not hunting, but just in case. Any recommendations....Thanks...

Posts: 900 | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I always carry my Smith & Wesson 500 when out on the trails. Never used it, but its what I feel comfortable with.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was thinking of a Smith 460, Dealer said can shoot 45 long colt as well......

posted Hide Post
We’ve got several on our property and have had a couple that likely pushed 500 lbs. and I never felt undergunned with my Glock 10mm. In fact, if I carried anything while bowhunting it was a compact 9mm, and even that was rare. Black bears are far more likely to be gone before you get anywhere near them.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5164 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many have said it comes down to many well placed shots of 10mm vs a few shots of 460 or 500

but the magnums have to be well placed..

we have one bad boy at 400+lbs walking around

posted Hide Post
Whatever you shoot better. I owned a 4 inch 44 mag and it wasn't easy to shoot fast. I would lean more toward 10mm with good bullet selection.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Once again I will just reiterate one man's opinion, all be it a guy who's opinion on such matters I trust, a guy who has killed a lot of bears, black and brown. His feeling was with black bears you just need to hurt them good and they will give up the fracas.

(this answer came when asked about .45 Acp for this purpose)

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Watch this guy's video and decide for yourself.

https://mtntough.com/blogs/mtn...r-a-providence-story

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1547 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It you want to use it at night, it had better be one that you can mount a weapon light on.

Posts: 9971 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the video cee-Kamp. G 20, thats the tool. And a spare mag.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I do believe shot placement wins over caliber more so in these tough ass animals even more so than humans.

I decided on 10mm as semi auto trumps a revolver for me and I can carry a 30 round Banshee as opposed to 1/3 or less rounds in a lever action.

I’d feel completely comfortable with either though.

Bear defense statistics

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a video of a guy on a snow mobile dropping a moose with a 10mm Glock. He put about 5 into it, but it was on the ground after one or two. Stopped it dead in its tracks, that convinced me to get one for dirt biking in West Virginia. I have a mag of Buffalo bore and a mag of Xtreme penetrators. A big bore revolver would be better if you’re just going to fire one or two shots but if I’m getting charged by a bear I’m letting the lead fly while I piss my pants so I’d rather have 16 vs 5

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a story (maybe here) about a unit in the Norwegian Army that patrols one of it's borders that is populated with polar bears. They recently went to the Glock 10mm. IIRC, they had carried a 9mm.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I carry a Glock 29SF in a chest rig that sits on my sternum. Loaded with Underwood 200 or 220gr.
Gun comes out in a second if needed. Feel very comfortable that if needed I could deal with a black bear. Having said that never need to test my opinion.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Black bears can get up to 600 pounds. The grizzly in cee-Kamps posted video was just 400 pounds. Some get 3 times that body weight. I think the 15 round 10mm is good insurence. I've always felt it best to have a back up gun on your person while in bear country. If for any reason you loose control of your main weapon, you still got your 2nd magnum at the ready. I personally will never go where grizzly bear live. Dont need to kill one and dont want to be killed by one. Two guns in bear country is better than one.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by searay215:
Thanks, I was thinking of a Smith 460, Dealer said can shoot 45 long colt as well......

It can also shoot 454 Casull

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Unless near Yellowstone, Glacier Park, or AK I don’t see the need to carry a boat anchor around. For most of us in the upper Midwest & similar areas with black bears, trouble is ‘close’ to nil.

Just seems easier to just take a somewhat normal CC gun into the bush. With most they make specialized hardcast ammo, or a version of +p.

I think one has to look hard to find an instance in the Eastern US where anyone fended off a black bear with any gun, or a handgun.

I’ve shot a few black bears during hunting season, helped a relative with his guiding operation.

Yes, even with an expected course of action, there is a small, unpredictable component.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone consider bear spray as a deterrent for bears as a first line of defense and a firearm as your backup? Sudden crisis situation from a bear charging, adrenaline pumping, tunnel vision, you may or may not have a unobstructed shot, shot placement is important so how many can get off a accurate kill shot before the bear is on top of them?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent answers.....Thanks to all, and bear spray is also a consideration............

posted Hide Post
I do. I am under no illusions about my ability to shoot a charging bear, much less with considered shot placement.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post