SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Realistic targets with IDPA scoring—anyone know of one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Realistic targets with IDPA scoring—anyone know of one? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
That’s what I’m seeking: A realistic, photo-type target, or even a semirealistic line drawing target with IDPA scoring zones marked.

I’ve searched with no luck, but hoping that if such a target exists someone on the forum will know of it. Thanks for all replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, here's an IPSC type target:

https://defensetargets.com/col...on-ipsc-paper-target

What is your intention with IDPA scoring?

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
In the meantime, here's an IPSC type target:

I’ll have to give that some thought. Not exactly what I’m hoping to find, but I might be able to make it work, so thank you.

I have developed various drills and qualification courses using IDPA targets. I don’t like the original scoring zones, but they are easy to modify to what I consider to be more realistic representations of human anatomy, and are better for the purpose than IPSC targets. I use the same targets for an intermediate range rifle qualification course that I developed recently, but it would be good to have something with visible features for longer distances rather than a plain cardboard sheet.

Thanks again.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know of anything that meets your stated requirements. However, a few comments/suggestions:

1) I don't shoot IDPA, so I have no need to use the circle as my neutralizing zone. Personally, I've always preferred the IPSC rectangular zone. Physiologically, it seems to have a better concentration of vital areas. Also centers on the spinal column, sternum, etc.

2) I have cardboard templates I can use to outline the IDPA or IPSC vital zone. Glued a small block of wood to them. Can do my own outline on any cardboard or paper target with a fat magic marker. Also on plain cardboard. Cheap.

3) We'll occasionally shoot defensive drills with a shirt draped over the cardboad IDPA/IPSC target. Range of colors from white to black/navy blue. More street oriented than cardboard. Most assailants don't run around naked with their vitals magic marked. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good idea about the cardboard templates.

For my courses and drills the zones are for scoring, and are not visible to the shooter. I agree that the 8 inch IDPA chest circle is unrealistically large, as are the other zones. As for the IPSC target the head A zone never made any sense to me. Of course, no one ever asked my opinion about such matters, but those are the reasons why I design my own targets.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Not quite IDPA but close

Oooh: That looks pretty good. The zones would have to be modified, but would be easier than starting from scratch.

I thought I had checked all the Action Target offerings, but did not notice that one.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Why an arbitrary match scoring zone? I have seen humanoid targets with the organs outlined. For combat training, they should not be visible to the shooter.

Of course that would bring up Cowboys and Indians type debates, assuming the heart head and spine are missed, which counts more, liver or kidney?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You mean like the USPSA target? With rectangular scoring zones vs the circles IDPA uses.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...erm=4584894776053439

I use them for rifle and pistol training. The A zones cover the T-box of shooting a human head and the A zone in the body covers the heart &spine.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As for the IPSC target the head A zone never made any sense to me.

IIRC it is meant to delineate the medulla oblongata...immediate stop

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy full size cardboard targets in a 25 pack and then do what Nipper does. And I only buy them when its free shipping or they are on sale. Same ones MikeinNC posted!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As for the IPSC target the head A zone never made any sense to me.

IIRC it is meant to delineate the medulla oblongata...immediate stop

Well, that’s my point. If that’s what it’s intended to represent, they’ve got it wrong. It would make more sense (but still not a lot) if it were rotated 90 degrees to orient the long dimension up/down to follow the actual orientation of the brain stem (which includes the medulla oblongata).

This is an illustration from an Army sniping manual. It shows the location of the brain stem starting approximately between the eyes and extending downward in line with the bridge of the nose.

My other quibble with the A zone in the head is that if a hit there would actually result in instant incapacitation as it’s oriented, why is it scored the same as the large A zone in the torso? That covers some vital organs, but a handgun hit there could not be guaranteed to cause instant incapacitation. The two A zones are hardly equivalent in that regard.

Yes, it’s a quibble and doesn’t affect me in the slightest, but all that is the basis for my comment. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
See if any of these meet your need:

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/printable-targets.html

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
See if any of these meet your need:

Thanks.
I didn't see anything there like I have in mind.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic, but putting an old shirt over an IDPA/USPSA target is a nice way hide the visual feedback from the target hole and potential increase some realism. You can also do shoot / no shoots depending on the shirt pattern/color.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Perhaps these targets from T-Rex Arms?

https://www.trex-arms.com/stor...iable-Threat-System/

They're infinitely variable (randomized computer program creates different "people", threats and poses to create different angles of attack to vital zones) and have a hit zone outlined.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Perhaps these targets from T-Rex Arms?

Definitely worth checking. Thank you.

6.4/93.6

— Plato