Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Sigless Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Traded away my SP2340, regrets. Next best option.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Colt saa:

Is that a S&W 3rd Gen pistol,5th pic down in .357 Sig?

I didn't know that such a wonderful beast existed.

Looks similar to a Shorty Forty!

Absolutely Yes

It is the only Factory Original Shorty 357 known to exist

Manufactured and shipped from the Factory in 1993 for a gentleman in South Florida. I acquired it from his widow after he passed so I am the second owner

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Sure does. Colt let me shoot it once!

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Drool, that MP5 sure looks sweet

Ironmike57 is one of several Forum members that I have hosted at the range

This one brings a BIG smile to the face of Everyone that shoots it

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I loved the round but got out of it several years ago.

I did a FTF sale around 2009 with a local forum member on a beautiful mid-90's 229 in the caliber.

In 2010 rumor went out that Glock was going to drop the then-original FDE frames. Bud's put those on ridiculously low clearance and I grabbed my first-ever Glock, a 33.

I decided after some time to drop it due to ammo cost and availability, and the fact that my wife would not shoot it. I have always felt it's important for her to feel able enough to shoot my carry guns.

When I was trying to sell both locally you would have thought I was trying to sell real pieces of junk. No one wanted to touch them, even the classic excellent-condition 229. I ended up trading the Glock semi-locally and selling the 229 here.

I do miss it though- the sharp punch and the way it felt and hit.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The Sig 239 in 357 is a terrific handgun. For me a convenient package of size, weight and power. Don't shoot it a lot due to ammo availability but it's ready to go and has that extra oomph that adds to home security.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1556 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll repeat myself.... with a Sig P239 in either 357sig or 40cal all you need is a 9mm barrel to practice with 9mm. From everything I've learned about pistols here... it should not work... but it does...
Of course what is better is to just have a 9mm slide with barrel and recoil spring... that is what is in my range bag... P239 in 357sig with a Crimson trace laser grip along with a 9mm slide and a couple 9mm mags... even though 9mm will work in either the 40 or 357 sig mags....9mm mags do fit a little loose in a 357/40 grip which is slightly larger.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Funny; I'm old and behind the times. Just bought my first .357 Sig barrel today for a .40 229.

Cutting edge, bitches!!!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig has a nice ring on steel plates!

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope and look forward to the .357 Sig making a resurgence to popularity Like the 10mm has. It is somewhat expensive to feed, but sure is a hoot to shoot !

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
My 239 was my first 357
I recently bought a 357 complete slide and married to my Elite SAO frame, pure love.

My attraction was due to ballistics and the bottle neck design of the round
Real world LEO shootings didn’t have homie showing battle scars like 9mm
Homie shot with 357 was typically room temp

When I need it to go bang, I have never had a failure to feed
I sleep well knowing that

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
357 sig has gotten me into the habit of inspecting every self-defense round I load. Even 9mm. Bullet setback makes the 357 round Xtra spicy (assuming it's not more than ~1mm) Eek

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
357 sig has gotten me into the habit of inspecting every self-defense round I load. Even 9mm. Bullet setback makes the 357 round Xtra spicy (assuming it's not more than ~1mm) Eek

I've had a couple with significant visual setback. Enough that I removed them & didn't want to risk attempting to fire them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this a Factory loaded 357SIG round? Or are you a hand loader?

With my hand loaded 357SIG ammunition, I use a LEE Factory Crimp Die.

This LEE FCD die imparts a collet crimp on the cartridge which makes setback almost impossible. This style of crimp is usable on projectiles with or without a crimp groove

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Not hand loads. Mostly Gold Dots. It's been a while but I try not to cycle the same round if clearing the gun for cleaning or inspection. I was thinking of getting a bullet puller. A couple light taps might be better than tossing to round away?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:

Is this a Factory loaded 357SIG round? Or are you a hand loader?

With my hand loaded 357SIG ammunition, I use a LEE Factory Crimp Die.

This LEE FCD die imparts a collet crimp on the cartridge which makes setback almost impossible. This style of crimp is usable on projectiles with or without a crimp groove

Mine were all with Sig VCrown factory ammo

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had any interest in the 357 Sig because it has a reputation for being a bit "fussy"to reload and it's always been more expensive than the 40 S&W. BTW, those who think the 40 S&W is weak should think again, take a 165 grain Speer Gold Dot and load it over Longshot and a 1165 fps load out of my P239 is not the least bit "weak".

As for the 357, to me that means 357 Magnum. If you are feeling a bit foolish take a 357 Magnum case, fill it with 21.5 grains of H110, and then seal that case with a 125 grain Hornady XTP. It's a load with a muzzle blast as loud as a 500 Magnum and about 20 feet of muzzle flash down range with a 4 inch barreled S&W 620. Note a less foolish load is 16 grains of H110 with a 158 grain XTP out of a 6 inch barrel. These a a bit loud, VERY accurate, and with the B/C gap on my DW 15-2 set to 0.0025 inch no visible flash ring in daylight.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A report of a test that may be of interest here for those who haven't already seen it:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/5040007505

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post