SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 questions Login/Join 
posted
Admiring my German P210 Legend, I realized that I never considered what its finish is. Is it nitron or something else? I have one of the black ones, not the silver ones.

I know the old Swiss P210s are blued carbon steel for the frame and slide. The new American P210s are stainless slide and stainless frame with the nitron finish.

Which leads me to another question about my German P210 Legend: what material are the frame, slide, and barrel? stainless or carbon steel?

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 361 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carbon and that’s a much better material for tight fitted guns like the Swiss and German P210, especially Swiss.

Posts: 1329 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of King of Useless Knowledge
posted Hide Post
It's arrived but I don't have permissions to post pics

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: May 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King of Useless Knowledge:
It's arrived but I don't have permissions to post pics

You don't need permissions to post pics. You just need a photo hosting site. Upload your pics there, then you can post them here.

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: May 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Your new 210 is a beauty. Very clean looking with the fixed sight, no FCS and service style grip.

NRA Life

Posts: 1567 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
Carbon and that’s a much better material for tight fitted guns ....

Why is that?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Your new 210 is a beauty. Very clean looking with the fixed sight, no FCS and service style grip.

Thanks its been years since I posted pics anywhere so I need to find something better than the nightmare of photo bucket. Cant seem to get the URL to paste on this new thing just the goofy link

posted Hide Post
Looks good, please post a review after some range time.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Why is that?

He’s probably saying that because carbon steel, unlike SS, is a free machining (non-galling) metal. To avoid the galling problem, SS pistol manufacturers make the frame and slides with different hardnesses.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9015 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why is that?

It's not. Tolerances are a matter of the design, the milling equippment, the tools and the jig, not the steel.
Modern manufacturing technologies are much more advanced then what the average shooter/collector are believing to be the standard. It is about time to say goodby to the believe of tolerances being a random size that id controlled with gauges.
Also, if galling was a problem, one should really ask if the manufacturer had its technology under control or if an overly entusiastc geek was interpreting internet knowledge into somehing he has not seen before. In most cases it's the latter one of the two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OTD,

Posts: 3778 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have I mentioned it has a 3 lbs 7.9 oz trigger
https://imgur.com/mtNu7H3

posted Hide Post
I just bought a 210A Standard, everything King said, much more accurate than I am.
Does anyone make (affordable) grips for these? Will the Hogue grips for the Target fit? I have smaller hands/fingers & would like to try sanding a set of grips down to a smaller profile & don't want to use the ones that came with the pistol.
Thanks.

posted Hide Post
If you find other grips that fit let us know. The wood ones are nice but I wouldn't be against trying something G10 or thinner on it

posted Hide Post
King, looking, & talking, with Hogue on their P210A wood grips. They fit either the target or standard (same frame). Not cheap, but thinking of getting their grips & reducing the profile for a smaller grip. Haven't found anything smaller, or other material than wood.
Oh well, the "bleeding edge", if the pistol becomes popular we'll probably have 10-20 choices in 2-4 years.

posted Hide Post
Also looking at the EGW rear sight mount for a red dot. Had one on a Colt/Walther 1911 .22 that worked very well.
Have to find out if the rear sight cut is the same as the target model.

posted Hide Post
I spoke with Hogue & bought one of their smooth hardwood grips. In the process of sanding it down now & hopefully this will allow me to properly position my hand, otherwise the p210 goes down the road & I'm back to 1911's.

*** For anyone thinking about purchasing a p210 (or any other "unknown" pistol) if you have smaller hands I would look at one hands on before buying, I just learned my lesson <grin>.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why is that?

It’s a harder material and better suited for the application.

There’s a reason why 1911 manufacturers like Les Baer won’t even offer their best accuracy packages on stainless guns.

Posts: 1329 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe both of the US P210's can accept each other's grips. You might try the the factory target grips on your gun. They're bigger overall, true, but they are much more sculpted[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I'll see how the one I'm sanding turns out. Don't know about the target but Hogue makes the grip for the Standard. I'm not buying anything more without some hands on.

posted Hide Post
I've sanded down the Hogue grips to where I'm able to get a good grip & able to press the trigger properly. Most of the wood was removed from the "hump" on the rear & some from both side panels. Will probably use tongue oil eventually but want to shoot it some more & do some light sanding as I think necessary.
Not a good explanation but anyone encountering the same problem can reduce grip size, either original or after market, with careful sanding.