SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P6 /225 mag question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P6 /225 mag question Login/Join 
posted
Since OEM mags for the older pP6/225 have dried up and are $$$ now. My question is are the newer Promag steel 225 mags still junk just like all the other Promag stuff?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 08, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to current ones but I had gotten one as part of a P225 trade some time back and it was everything you’ve come to know and love from ProMag. Wink

Things it was fantastic at
-immediate action trainer
-door stop
-airgun target
-Christmas ornament
-Booma without the rang.

What it was not especially good at.
-anything approaching feeding of ammunition into a firearm reliably.

So yeah there are my P225 ProMag mag thoughts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Promag is responsible for the biggest let-downs of the gun world. You find a hard-to-locate mag somewhere at a reasonable price, get all excited, whip out your wallet...then discover it's a Promag. Man, I hate that!

Posts: 8614 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a 225 GOTM at Cabelas in Dundee for a killer low price. When I checked it, it was in mint condition. Except for its only magazine. A ProMag.
I bought the 225 and threw away the ProMag.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
friends don't let friends buy promag

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You whats funny about ProMag. Even bad companies/products usually have a cadre of folks who swear by them. ProMag is so universally accepted as horrible they are up there with the greats like Comcast Smile it boggles my mind how they stay in business.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Mid Way $48
gunmag
https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...16174510070302008005

eBay

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
friends don't let friends buy promag

EVER!!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
Mid Way $48
gunmag
https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...16174510070302008005

eBay

Your Midway link is to a P226 mag and the GunMag link is to a P225A mag, which is not compatible with a P6/P225 one.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you now know, Sig mags aren't cheap but they are quality mags. Like the others have said, Promag of any kind is garbage. If you do happen to get one that works, it won't last long. If you plan on doing any serious job with the P225-h.d., ccw, etc., don't cheap out on parts or mags.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have not defended Pro-Mags in some time, so here goes. I have been on this forum 20 years this month. I bought a 9mm 229 about the time I joined and it only came with 1 10 rd mag. I started looking for 13 rounders and they were approaching $100.

Someone on here, said that the Pro-Mag tubes were good, but the springs and followers had to go. I bought some Pro-Mags and ordered followers from Sig and springs from Wolfe.

I found the home-made mags worked pretty well. In fact, I am still using them 20 years later and they have fed many thousand rounds. I found that new springs were mandatory, but you could use the followers that came with them.

My experience is they work with a few simple modifications.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried these converted P1/P38 magazines converted by Robertson Trading Post?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walth...4:g:-z0AAOSw4oBgOUsN

Even with the 1/8" protrusion would be okay for range use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up two Pro Mags with a P6 purchase several years ago and they work just fine.

I then really lucked out and found 3 NOS 225 mags that I keep as new.

Come to think about it, I have also made some Triple K mags work in the past. Sometimes Pro Mag and Triple K are the only show in town.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 426 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Some time back I bought a Colt Woodsman, and ordered Triple K mags for it. Yesterday tried fitting the mag and had trouble getting it out of the pistol. OEM mags (I have three) work great.
Had I read about Triple K problems here before ordering, I would not have bought them.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Has anyone tried these converted P1/P38 magazines converted by RTG Parts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walth...4:g:-z0AAOSw4oBgOUsN

Even with the 1/8" protrusion would be okay for range use.
Very interesting. The only thing I don't like about the P225 is the mag baseplate rubbing my pinkie. This may alleviate that. I may try to make that mod to some of my P1 mags.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3218 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Some time back I bought a Colt Woodsman, and ordered Triple K mags for it. Yesterday tried fitting the mag and had trouble getting it out of the pistol. OEM mags (I have three) work great.
Had I read about Triple K problems here before ordering, I would not have bought them.

The only thing worse than Promags are Triple K, IME.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3218 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys made me look at the price of P6 and 225 magazines as I have a fair number; I just about fell out of my chair.

I may have to hold on to them longer and look at them as an investment. Who thought that, when the P6's were being sold for well under $400.00.

Sig P6 magazines were being sold in bulk; a little time passes and your ROI is 300 plus percent. You're talking crypto currency type profits.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post