SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Polymer framed handgun for all-around - Poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polymer framed handgun for all-around - Poll Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
19x for the overall, well, just because. But the PX4Carry is the best pistol out there right now.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 Gen 5
Beretta PX4 Compact best two choices for carry

If you want a Striker gun go Glock least complex simplest design.

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Why limit this artificial question to those four in particular?

That is a great question and to explain without detracting from the original question that was posted.

I have a friend who I love dearly but he is a moron, and instead of listening to me he thinks the gun store employees know more then I do. So he posted this post, and he is 90% sure you all are going to recommend the G45. The guns he has tried are all the ones listed in the post, no one had a MP 2.0 Pro 9mm, so no love for that gun as he wasn't able to shoot one.

He shot my Glock 17, and wants a shorter sight radius but loves the grip size. The same goes for my HK P30LS, just thought it was too long.

I recommended he borrow my 229 DAK until he gets comfortable with a DA pull.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well if your going to do a 'one and done' handgun buy the answer I give is always glock. There is simply nothing else out there that offers that combination of parts, aftermarket support, ease of user maintenance, local help etc. etc. And of all the glocks I have the one I like best at the moment is the 19x or the 45. The differences between those two are trivial. So I vote G45 because while I like poop colored guns not everybody else might.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if your buddy is reading, what is the purpose of the gun? Is it to talk about at the LGS counter? Is it to hope someone cares what you’re shooting at the range so they are appropriately impressed by you? Is it to feel really nice when you fondle it? Is it to look all sexy when it’s in holster covered by a shirt? Is it to pretend you’re some operator doing press checks in the mirror?

Or is it to shoot well?

I shot most of the current offerings a couple years ago. Some guns looked sexy, some had sweet triggers, some felt great in the hand. Even though the P320 and FNS weren’t tops in any of those, they are 2 of the 3 that I shot the best, the other being the VP9. Rapid fire, the VP9 dropped out of contention. I chose the P320 because it edged the FNS out with the ability to swap grip modules. So even though it wasn’t what I would pick just standing at a counter, it was the clear winner on the range. That’s what your buddy needs to find out for himself-what he shoots best.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Because this is the Internet and it's his poll.

And because this is the Internet, we are all free to show shade on his four choices. Big Grin

Really, jhe888, sometimes your lawyer brain gets the best of you and you overthink these things. Big Grin

Now I'm off to search for pictures of cats.

Maybe, but even by arbitrary internet poll standards, this one seems pretty far out there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Or for truly "all around" a Glock 29SF in 10mm. Not much bigger than the 19 but a lot more punch in the woods. 135gr for city 180gr for the outback.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Glock 45 or the P320.

The 19x has way too many detractors for me, and holds no advantage over the 45.

The P320 is a much better choice in my opinion, and the XCarry press check thing is only a thing if you want it to be. I press check a gun when it leaves my control. But in other circumstances, I think that it is silly to load the gun, press check it 100 times for really no reason at all. I load the gun looking at it. I watch the round chamber, so what is the need to THEN pull the slide back yet again to see if a round chambered, or if a little goblin stole the round out of the chamber after the slide closed. When I press check ANY pistol, like getting the gun out of a lock box at the jail, I give the slide a little tap on the back before it goes to the holster with any striker fired pistol.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Because this is the Internet and it's his poll.

And because this is the Internet, we are all free to show shade on his four choices. Big Grin

Really, jhe888, sometimes your lawyer brain gets the best of you and you overthink these things. Big Grin

Now I'm off to search for pictures of cats.

Maybe, but even by arbitrary internet poll standards, this one seems pretty far out there.

How is it far out there? It would be no different than if the poll said black or white, and you picked one based upon your personal feelings. Unless you wanted to give a diatribe of polls in general.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Well if your buddy is reading, what is the purpose of the gun? Is it to talk about at the LGS counter? Is it to hope someone cares what you’re shooting at the range so they are appropriately impressed by you? Is it to feel really nice when you fondle it? Is it to look all sexy when it’s in holster covered by a shirt? Is it to pretend you’re some operator doing press checks in the mirror?

Or is it to shoot well?

I shot most of the current offerings a couple years ago. Some guns looked sexy, some had sweet triggers, some felt great in the hand. Even though the P320 and FNS weren’t tops in any of those, they are 2 of the 3 that I shot the best, the other being the VP9. Rapid fire, the VP9 dropped out of contention. I chose the P320 because it edged the FNS out with the ability to swap grip modules. So even though it wasn’t what I would pick just standing at a counter, it was the clear winner on the range. That’s what your buddy needs to find out for himself-what he shoots best.

He is getting in to shooting IDPA competitions and has already signed up for several training classes. One of his favorite instructors is Travis Haley which is what I think lead to looking at Glocks more than anything else. A local gun store has listed on their website a LNIB P30 9mm LEM for $499, he is going to go look at it tomorrow.

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Polymer framed handgun for all-around? There isn't one. It is a matter a personal preference.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Glock 45 or Glock 19 Gen4.
HK P30 #2.

But it's price was a limitation. So, if you like the P30, you should also seriously consider the SP2022.Non-alloy P226/P229...with a stellar track record.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For "all-around" and polymer your list sucks. However, it's your poll, I went with the HK.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
G19 / G45. Whichever fits you better.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Add the Glock 19 and I'll cast a vote.

For me it's specifically the Gen 4 Front Slide Serrations model, but other versions will work.

It's the one gun that does everything... pretty darn good! (My opinion of course...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Thank you, he thanks you.

He purchased the P30 yesterday, $499 LNIB with the LEM trigger. The gun looks like it was never fired and he is happy.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The compact Glock frame is my idea of THE perfect-o all-around. I truly like the G45 and G19X but there's no way I'd choose to CCW either, and that would be my most important criteria in evaluating how "all-around" any handgun would be. If I've got to wear it for half the day it had better make itself as unobtrusive and inconspicuous as possible.

If everyday carry is excluded, then yeah I'd choose the G45. I can't stand the factory P30 trigger in V3 and while I like the V1 I don't dig it that much as to choose it over a striker. As for the full size TACOPS; I'm not much a fan of the standard bulging grip of the 320. The X-module is where I'm at. Plus, does SIG even make the TACOPS in full size anymore? I don't recall seeing it on the most recent dealer buy group spreadsheet, though I think the Carry version was listed.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for the G45. I would have voted for the HK P30 had it been DA/SA, or even the P320 X Carry had it been a choice. G45 is among the 4 choices and is a quantum leap for Glock! I have 2 gen 5s, a 19 plain and a 19 MOS. I don’t have the 45 for one reason; the grip is too long for my carry comfort. It is otherwise a 19. The barrel and the trigger make for a very comfortable, accurate gun, IMHO.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
HK P30L or VP9.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would choose the HK but also look at the VP9.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post