SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    There's just something about loading a single-action revolver.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There's just something about loading a single-action revolver. Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Loading my Colt SAA's is always best whilst listening to Ennio Morricone's Spaghetti Western compositions.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Was just shooting my Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt the other day and was thinking the same thing. So satisfying to just slow down and enjoy the process, the mechanics of things. Usually I’m speed shooting Glocks and such so it’s nice to change it up sometimes.

forensic anthropology hawaii

I have played with my Colt SAA some though haven’t shot her yet. Someday though, for the four clicks alone!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Fine lookin' Colt there, LincolnSixEcho. Smile

Your Ruger looks just like mine, stainless 4.75", but you got the factory grips I wanted. At the time, the shop I was buying from said they couldn't order one with the factory faux ivories in .357, so I went with the rosewood IIRC. I love rosewood and what showed up was less than impressive to me.

I ordered a set of faux ivories from Altamont that weren't an exact fit and they lasted until I had a minor mishap and knocked the gun off my desk and one of the panels split in half. Oh well.

I got a different set made by a fella who makes them out of epoxy and polymers that looks more like actual ivory than the other set did, but they feel like plastic. I like how they look, but not how they feel. I also need to do some sanding and polishing to fit them properly. Here they are (very difficult to photgraph in such a way as to properly show the "grain"):

At some point, I'd like to get a set of giraffe or camel bone (kinda looks a bit like ivory, but with some pinkish grain to it) or some stag grips that don't have too much of the brown grain in them. I'd love a set of real ivories, but that just isn't ever going to be in the budget.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Although I've never handled a SA revolver, I can tell you I enjoy shooting wheelies much more than bottom-feeders. A semi-auto is a tool; a wheelgun is a weapon.

And you're right...it all starts with loading. Slowly and thoughtfully. One round at a time. Almost in a meditative state. Speedloaders? Nah. Why would I deprive myself this visceral satisfaction?

semantics not withstanding, a semi isn't a weapon?

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragoon:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Although I've never handled a SA revolver, I can tell you I enjoy shooting wheelies much more than bottom-feeders. A semi-auto is a tool; a wheelgun is a weapon.

And you're right...it all starts with loading. Slowly and thoughtfully. One round at a time. Almost in a meditative state. Speedloaders? Nah. Why would I deprive myself this visceral satisfaction?

semantics not withstanding, a semi isn't a weapon?

Let's not do that in this thread, please. Thank you.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Y'all need to come play Cowboy with us!

Anybody in Georgia, we'll be shooting in Dawsonville this coming Saturday (Jan 4 2020) at the Riverbend gun club. Directions at www.rbrr.org

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think sometime in the next year, I’ll be headed out to visit friends and family in Georgia. My son has a great-grandfather in Cartersville that he hasn’t met yet who’s a helluva good guy, and I miss him. If we get something figured out, I’d sure love to come out to a SASS shoot with you, Rolan. Even just to sit in the peanut gallery and enjoy the show. I’ll bring my one gun and the ammo, but if I’m gonna play, I’ll probably have to rely on the generosity of the regulars. Honestly, it hurts my pride and makes me feel sheepish to show up with up-turned palms, as my grandparents used to say.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I think sometime in the next year, I’ll be headed out to visit friends and family in Georgia. My son has a great-grandfather in Cartersville that he hasn’t met yet who’s a helluva good guy, and I miss him. If we get something figured out, I’d sure love to come out to a SASS shoot with you, Rolan. Even just to sit in the peanut gallery and enjoy the show. I’ll bring my one gun and the ammo, but if I’m gonna play, I’ll probably have to rely on the generosity of the regulars. Honestly, it hurts my pride and makes me feel sheepish to show up with up-turned palms, as my grandparents used to say.

come on out, Smudge, we'll fill in anything that you need.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Fine lookin' Colt there, LincolnSixEcho. Smile

Your Ruger looks just like mine, stainless 4.75", but you got the factory grips I wanted. At the time, the shop I was buying from said they couldn't order one with the factory faux ivories in .357, so I went with the rosewood IIRC. I love rosewood and what showed up was less than impressive to me.

I ordered a set of faux ivories from Altamont that weren't an exact fit and they lasted until I had a minor mishap and knocked the gun off my desk and one of the panels split in half. Oh well.

I got a different set made by a fella who makes them out of epoxy and polymers that looks more like actual ivory than the other set did, but they feel like plastic. I like how they look, but not how they feel. I also need to do some sanding and polishing to fit them properly. Here they are (very difficult to photgraph in such a way as to properly show the "grain"):

At some point, I'd like to get a set of giraffe or camel bone (kinda looks a bit like ivory, but with some pinkish grain to it) or some stag grips that don't have too much of the brown grain in them. I'd love a set of real ivories, but that just isn't ever going to be in the budget.

Thanks 220 Smudge, I still can’t believe I actually own a SAA. Those grips on yours are nice! Giraffe bone would be beautiful IMHO. Mine on my Vaquero are pretty slick, not the greatest outside of looks.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five beans in the wheel!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ok, since we're now posting pics, I'll play Big Grin.

While I realize that the New Model Blackhawk may not be the most authentic looking or operating single-action out there, I think it's the best of both worlds. It'll safely handle six, it's built like a tank, and I definitely prefer the adjustible sights to a fixed notch...especially in a gun like my convertible where so many different loads are possible.

While I do covet some of the SAAs in this thread, I'm pretty happy with this old girl. Sure she got some wear and an ugly turn line, but it's from hours of enjoyment on the range. I have a 5.5" stainless single-six, too, but the big-bore .45 is just more fun.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve been jonesing for another Ruger single action.....i had a new vaquero in 45 colt but sold it to reduce the number of calibers I was riding herd over...I replaced it with one in 357 but sold that one too...that was stupid.

I’ve owned many many guns in my lifetime and have really only regretted selling a few....but I’ve had three SMLEs and sold two ruger revolvers...I want a new one in maybe a 44.... but I’ve not had a Blackhawk and that model is what the 44 is available in....so I guess I will wait till the next nearby gun show

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Thanks 220 Smudge, I still can’t believe I actually own a SAA. Those grips on yours are nice! Giraffe bone would be beautiful IMHO. Mine on my Vaquero are pretty slick, not the greatest outside of looks.

I'd love to own a legit Colt SAA of any generation, honestly. Thanks! Yeah, it's weird, they look (to me) great, but feel grippy like plastic (I guess because they are) and I really loved the super-slick feel of the Altamont bonded faux ivories. If these looked the way they do and felt the way bonded grips do, I'd be super happy with them. Not quite there yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
come on out, Smudge, we'll fill in anything that you need.

You're a good man. I appreciate it. I'll shoot an email your way when we start trying to iron out some plans. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Ok, since we're now posting pics, I'll play Big Grin.

Well, way to get in the game, man! Big Grin

That's a fine revolver, and I really like those grips. Maple?

And I have to be honest, whatever brand it's manufactured by, a .45 Colt just may be the next one I pick up. Because.

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I recently bought this Taylor’s Smokewagon SAA to go with my Winchester. When I took it to the range it put a smile on my face. It felt like a work of art rather than a gun.

By the way, does anyone know how to resize this? I’m using Imgur.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a fine revolver, and I really like those grips. Maple?

Yup, Maple. I got them from some guy off Ebay and did a little fitting myself, then polyurethaned them. I like the light wood with the blued steel, and am pretty happy with how they turned out. They are prettier than the factory plastic, and fill the hand much better.

I picked this gun up on kind of a whim one day. I was actually looking for a .357/9mm since I already had those calibers, and decided "screw it, why not try something new?" I blame it for getting me into .45 in a big way, and it spends a lot of time with me at the range...even came along for a backpacking trip in bear country that my wife and I took this summer.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like.

I’ve eyeballed a few sets online from individual craftsmen. I’d honestly love a set in quilted or, ideally, flamed maple and then fit, smooth, stain and seal them with urethane like you did and buff them smooth. Hard for me to pin down. The idea of a set of flame maple grips stained cherry red like my first real guitar is about as appealing to me as a blonde set. I’ve seen some box eldar sets as well that were pretty stunning.

I guess when it’s as simple as turning a screw or two, dressing up a nice revolver with different sets of grips is just like having a few other pairs of shoes in the closet. Smile

Scot818, that picture is awesome. Beautiful stuff, there. Nice Taylor Smokewagon, but that rifle has my eye. Fine wood grain, case hardening colors galore, and am I nuts or is that charcoal bluing on the barrel of that rifle? Who made it? Is that a Miroku Winchester?

posted Hide Post
As much fun as it is to load a SAA, and I have three Colts, you should try loading a Sharps rifle. Same primal satisfaction as the SAA but amplified ten fold.

Posts: 16 | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge

My rifle is a Miroku Winchester that I bought two years ago. The rifle and revolver are both in 357. One day I hope I can get a real Colt 1873 in 45lc. I told my wife I was going to put the rifle over the fireplace but she said NO so it sits in the safe...

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a damn fine looking rifle, sir. I feel and echo the regret over not being over to mount it over the mantle, but as a married man, I get it.

My (ex?) uncle that divorced my aunt had a few different SAA's he inherited from his side of the family that he'd mounted in wood and glass display boxes along with badges and pictures of the men who had carried them. Like my mother's side of the family, his had been in Texas since it was first "settled." I regret not having at least asked him about them. They had a high-pitched ceiling in the main family room and all of them, you'd have needed a good 15' ladder to get at, but I always enjoyed looking up at them in wonder. They were the real-deal "I was there and did the thing" article. Something about those classic firearms mounted high up on the wall. Just looks good to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Dav-az:
As much fun as it is to load a SAA, and I have three Colts, you should try loading a Sharps rifle. Same primal satisfaction as the SAA but amplified ten fold.

I'd imagine as much of that is the rifle as it is the cartridge. I fired a .45-70 once. Once. It was a New England Firearms single-shot break action that weighed about 7lbs with no cheekrest and high scope rings. You do the math. Big Grin

I never went to the range with those clowns again.

I really wouldn't mind shooting a nice Sharp's sometime. That would be a thrill and a half.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd imagine as much of that is the rifle as it is the cartridge. I fired a .45-70 once. Once.

Big Grin. I know exactly where you're coming from there, but don't give up on the .45-70 so quickly! The day I bought my 1895 Guide Gun, I couldn't wait on reloading components to come in, so I bought a 20 rd box of Hornady Leverevolution and went to the range. I made it through 12 rounds before deciding I absolutely could not shoot it anymore. It was like being smacked in the shoulder by Thor's hammer every time you pulled the trigger!

I have since learned a few secrets about the .45-70. One is that shooting it off a bench is far more painful than standing and allowing your whole body to roll with the recoil, rather than just hammering your shoulder. The second, and most important, is reloading. Most loading manuals have three levels for the.45-70..."trapdoor" loads that are safe in antique rifles, "lever action" loads for exactly what they sound like they're for, and "modern rifles" for strong actions like the Ruger No. 1.

I typically load my range ammo in the "trapdoor" range with a 405gr bullet. Trailboss powder is your friend here, and these loads are extremely easy to shoot. For hunting I load with the mid-range "lever-action" data, again with a 405gr bullet, and while authoritative, the recoil is not painful. The .45-70 is amazingly versatile when you handload for it.