SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Holster Advice for Sig P226 Elite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster Advice for Sig P226 Elite Login/Join 
posted
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and need some advice. The wife and I finally decided to buy our first gun, and I was able to get a great deal on a slightly used Sig P226 Elite:

I have been trying to do some research on finding a simple, yet decent holster for this gun, but a lot of the info I am finding online says that not all P226 holsters would fit this gun properly.

I am looking for something outside the waste band, with some form of retention. Can anyone please offer some advice. So far it seems the best option is the Safariland - Model 6378, but there seem to be a lot of sub models for this. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Posts: 7 | Registered: June 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on which 6370 series you want (with light/with out light) you have the choice of color, which hand, paddle mount only, belt mount only, and belt/paddle combo. There are some other options such as adding the QLS mounting system.

For example the paddle/belt mount combo for right hand in standard stx plain finish for gun only would be 6378-477-411.

The 477 is your gun with out the light fit code. 7742 is the gun with a light fit code. This will be constant thru out the 6370 series. Let me know if you have any more questions on the 6370 series.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!

So based on what you are saying - I need the model that fits a Sig Sauer P226R MK25 4.41" like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Safaril...31&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

Seems like for a regular P226 they recommend the 6378-77-411 model, the one you stated is for the MK25.

Does that look right to you?

posted Hide Post
honestly I really like sigs line of pistol holsters.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...ter-mitch-rosen.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...k25-owb-holster.html

I like the kidex units. Solid retention, easy in easy out.

Get a PROPPER gun belt.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruski91:
Thank you so much!

So based on what you are saying - I need the model that fits a Sig Sauer P226R MK25 4.41" like this one:

Seems like for a regular P226 they recommend the 6378-77-411 model, the one you stated is for the MK25.

Correct. The 477 model fits most all railed P220/P226/P227. The 77 model is for non railed P220/226/227.

You're welcome and welcome to the forum. You have a fine pistol there!

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice and welcome to the forum. My only advise about holsters is be wary of models with the SLS type hood that rotates over the back of the slide. May not work with the beaver tail. Mine barely clears my 1994 German P226

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
quote:
Thank you so much!

Correct. The 477 model fits most all railed P220/P226/P227. The 77 model is for non railed P220/226/227.

You're welcome and welcome to the forum. You have a fine pistol there!

Thank you so much! Looks like I will be picking this one up! I got very lucky with the purchase. I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to a sig 226 variant (elite, legion, etc), a Barretta 92fs, or an HK p30. The store I was finally able to get into at the start of the pandemic just happened to have this one used but in mint condition! Once I finally took it to the range, I was even more thrilled

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

To further confuse the issue, the SIG MK 25, along with a couple other SIG models, uses a different profile accessory rail, the 1913 picatinny mil-spec profile, as opposed to the 'standard' SIG proprietary rail profile used on models such as the Elite series. Some have reported difficulties with the different rail profiles fitting various holsters, depending on just how tight the individual holster manufacturer's tolerances are.

Here is a recent discussion of the issue:

Sig 226 MK 25 vs Sig legion 226 sao

I don't have any experience with the Safariland holsters, but I've owned and carried a number of P226s in various holsters. With a platform that has been in existence for almost 40 years you will find a huge selection of holster manufacturers and models to choose from.

If you are open to leather holsters there are a number of good quality ones such as DeSantis, Bianchi, Galco, Mitch Rosen, and Milt Sparks just to name a few. I've carried a P226 in both OWB and IWB, in Galco, Bianchi, and Milt Sparks leather holsters for years, as well as Blackhawk kydex and Blackpoint Tactical and High Noon hybrid holsters. Some worked better than others, but they all got the job done.

We have a few holster makers who are members of the forum, known for making good quality holsters, and you might consider checking out their holster models.

Welcome to the forum! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Safariland 477 holster and it fits my 226 SSE and my MK25 just fine .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have the Sip P226 SSE and use the Blackhawk Serpa Holster which has excellent retention and the fit to the holster is excellent.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions!

posted Hide Post
Blade Tech has a 25% off sale on right now .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My opinion,, that pistol needs the best and highest quality leather holster you can afford.

You might want to put it in something 'plastic' for practice and training but I think for everyday carry or especially a picnic / barbecue it needs leather....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not planning to wear it (yet) for everyday carry. Not sure if I ever will. For now I was just looking for something for training/practice etc. I think I am leaving towards the safariland for the time being.

If I were to get a leather one - with some form of retention, which would you suggest - Galco?