SIGforum
Red dot mounting on pistols ...?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9500002924

August 20, 2017, 04:30 PM
bpnkrtn
Red dot mounting on pistols ...?
I have an adaptor plate to mount a Deltapoint Pro on an HK P30. It has a dovetail mount that replaces the rear sight. The adaptor plate has two "posts" that insert into the DP-P.

1) Are the posts to assist the screws in holding the DP-P in place against the reciprocating forces acting on the sight as the slide moves during firing?

2) If the above is correct, if you have a slide milled for a specific sight (red dot) are these posts milled into the slide? It seems like most pictures I've seen of milled slides show a smooth milled surface, no posts.

Trying to educate myself as I move into the world of red dot pistol sights ... and I need a lot of education Smile
August 20, 2017, 09:08 PM
dcpd
They certainly help with inertia but I think the main reason is for the initial positioning. The alignment of the red dot sight has to be in line with the slide/barrel. The more of a slant left or right at the rear will only get larger once you get out to the target. It could be more than the sight adjustments can compensate. As far as milling the slide, its a permeant modification. If your keeping it forever, why not. I have the Trijicon RMR on a mounting plate for the rear dovetail like yours on a X5 Entry .40 for almost a year with no drift from zero.
August 21, 2017, 07:37 PM
bmo
I only have experience with the RMR, but really depends on who does the slide milling. ATEI for example (who's arguably the best at RMR milling), does mill in the "bosses" as they call them. L&M Precision on the other hand, another well respected optic milling outfit, does not include the bosses. Both mill the slide for a very tight fit on the RMR. When I got my RMR and slide back from ATEI, I can say I'd honestly feel comfortable shooting it without the screws in (at least for a few roundsWink ), the fit was that tight. If I had the choice, I'd rather have them than not have them from all the back and forth I've read about it (needing vs not needing).

August 21, 2017, 09:24 PM
bpnkrtn
Gentlemen ... thanks for the input/information. I do appreciate it.
September 16, 2017, 03:17 AM
Jjmcd
Of course, you can always do the trick "I" did. Go to a marine supply store and get some 5200 bedding compound. (Think White Plastic epoxy that sticks to ANYTHING).
Put a bead of it under the mount and then attach it to the slide Make sure you use thread sealer (Blue Locktite) on the screws because you don't want the 5200 to get into the threads.

Don't laugh. This stuff is a Permenant bond and will absorb shock transfer up to the Red Dot.

And you CAN get the sight and mounting plate off (with a lot of work) and reinstall the conventional sights if you ever need to.

Remember the 1st rule. It's always loaded.
September 16, 2017, 05:07 AM
IndianaMike
BMO
Did you have ATEI just mill your slide or did you have them do a full conversion.
September 16, 2017, 07:25 AM
bpnkrtn
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
BMO
Did you have ATEI just mill your slide or did you have them do a full conversion.

I don't know what "full conversion" is referring to? Please educate me.
September 16, 2017, 06:18 PM
Nframe
bpnkrtn, Wink

if you want to try one and have a glock 17 frame, I'll loan you a complete upper with RMR done by Suarez international.

just let me know
September 17, 2017, 01:41 PM
bpnkrtn
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
bpnkrtn, Wink

if you want to try one and have a glock 17 frame, I'll loan you a complete upper with RMR done by Suarez international.

just let me know

Nframe ... Howdy. I really appreciate the offer but it won't be necessary. An employee at a local range is letting me shoot his ... interestingly a Suarez built rig also. Again, many thanks for the offer!
September 17, 2017, 02:09 PM
IndianaMike
quote:
Originally posted by bpnkrtn:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
BMO

I don't know what "full conversion" is referring to? Please educate me.

I Was on ATEI's website and seen they do a ?? complete Tactical Gun ?( maybe I am misreading or not calling it the right thing? And I did not see anything about milling service