SIGforum
upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9450040684

April 07, 2026, 11:46 PM
MacGyver
upcoming Springfield Armory P-35 Hi Power
I've always been a fan of the HP in general. With the seemingly infinite amount of options these days, I think most would be surprised to discover that an all-steel, SAO hammer-fired, double-stack 9mm pistol is still somewhat rare to find, even as desirable as those individual features are.

This new 4" version is definitely a cool addition.

One small thing of note: Hammer Striker (the YouTube video) is correct that forgings exhibit much higher strength and durability than castings, when all other factors are equal. He is also generally (though maybe not terminologically) correct in his understanding about why this is the case.

It's a little different though when comparing forgings to billet. Billet can be just as "dense" (Hammer Striker's words) as a forging. The true technical advantage of a forging over billet is that the microscopic grain structure conforms almost perfectly to the contours of the part in question (a frame or receiver for example). The microscopic grain structure of billet only goes in straight lines.

However, with today's materials science, the difference in strength and durability between forgings and billet is essentially negligible. A company will select one over the other simply based on what is more convenient for them to manufacture.

Milling a forging removes less material because it starts off closer to the shape of the final product, resulting in less waste. However, forgings require a foundry and are slightly more difficult to machine to the same level of precision.

Milling billet removes more material because it starts off as a block or cylinder, resulting in more waste, mostly in the form of metal shavings that need to be recycled. However, billet only requires milling (no foundry needed, just a giant machine shop). Billet is also very easy to rigidly and precisely fix in place in a CNC machine, allowing for greater precision if desired.
April 08, 2026, 08:04 AM
clubleaf206
It isn’t that I don’t like compact pistols, for example I like Commander size 1911s, but for me chopping a High-Power spoils the aesthetics of the pistol. Along those lines I don’t like when a rail is added to a pistol that didn’t originally have one, such as the 1911. The exception to this is Glock, I think they pulled that off very well.


___________________________________________________________________________
"....imitate the action of the Tiger."
April 08, 2026, 06:50 PM
M1Garandy
Looks like SA Inc. released a promo for the 4" SA-35 yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcASwAg0ZQ

At about :36 in it appears the shooter/actor drops a partially loaded magazine out of the gun when showing a magazine change which struck me as a little odd.

I remember 25 years ago when SOG and others were selling DGFM High Powers in both full size and "Detective" lengths for cheap. Not anymore.
April 09, 2026, 05:14 AM
GCE61
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Looks like SA Inc. released a promo for the 4" SA-35 yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcASwAg0ZQ

At about :36 in it appears the shooter/actor drops a partially loaded magazine out of the gun when showing a magazine change which struck me as a little odd.

I remember 25 years ago when SOG and others were selling DGFM High Powers in both full size and "Detective" lengths for cheap. Not anymore.


Hopefully they will offer the 4” top end separately so I can retrofit my existing SA35. We shall see…..
April 09, 2026, 01:19 PM
7iron
The thing that always bothered me about the Browning was that timy safety. Small and mushy, never quite sure if its on or off unless you use two hands. I fondled the Springfield and it's a bit bigger, but not really better. Looking to try a Girsan. The safety on the FNH is great, but I'm not in a position to pay the asking price.


The most effective safety is between your ears
October 06, 2026, 01:53 PM
egregore
OLDER THREAD

FWIW, Now available in polished blue, 4-inch, with additional improvements. (in my e-mail)

quote:
Based on one of the most prolific and popular pistols in small arms history, the Springfield Armory® SA-35® gives today’s shooters a modern take on a revered classic. Featuring subtle but significant upgrades to John Moses Browning’s original P-35 design, the 9mm SA-35® captures the appeal of the “wood and steel” era of arms making, now complemented by a classic polished blued finish. Made in the U.S.A., the SA-35® features rugged forged steel parts for strength and durability, improved ergonomics and enhanced controls, a factory-tuned trigger, modern sights, an improved feed ramp design, and an increased 15-round capacity.


Remarkably muted language, and not a Grip Zone or "ecosystem" in sight. Big Grin
October 06, 2026, 01:55 PM
heydrich
I've got the standard SA-35 which I love but damn.......that 4 inch is just down right sexy!


“I'm fat because every time I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Is committed to helping to responsibly increase carbon emissions.
October 07, 2026, 07:37 AM
Minnow
[/QUOTE]
Hopefully they will offer the 4” top end separately so I can retrofit my existing SA35. We shall see…..[/QUOTE]

My hopes as well. That would be a nice compliment to what is already one of my favorites at the range.




"Prepared in mind and resources"
October 07, 2026, 08:29 AM
parabellum
SA, Inc has hopefully gotten their issues with the quality of the bluing straightened out.

My advice is to not buy a high-polish blue example sight unseen.
October 07, 2026, 08:32 AM
12131
A polished blue 4-inch HP with functional upgrades. Sweet!


Q






October 07, 2026, 09:40 AM
mrprovy
I'm heading to my LGS to get the ball rolling on a purchase today Wink


_____________________________________
P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 Legion, P230, P230SL, P239, 38H, P365, P365 faux Legion, M17X, M17 Full, M18, P210 Standard, P210 Carry Custom Works, SP2022
October 07, 2026, 01:14 PM
MacGyver
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
SA, Inc has hopefully gotten their issues with the quality of the bluing straightened out.

My advice is to not buy a high-polish blue example sight unseen.

What were the issues? Missing bluing (i.e. uneven color) and texture variation? Or something else?