SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225 - Revisited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225 - Revisited Login/Join 
posted
This past weekend as I was wrapping up a range session where I had been letting some old friends try various SIG, GLOCK and CZ pistols I broke out my old P225.

It had been a long time since the P225 had been shot and after I ran a half dozen magazines through it, I realized that my long-lost friend shot just as good as ever.

The left grip panel has a small crack between the top grip screw and the magazine release, and the night sights are long dead.
After cleaning it up, I thought about replacing the grips (Hogue G10 or Nills) and replacing the night sights.
Not sure of the night sight options but I do like the XS R3D 2.0 with the green front sight. I'm not sure if it fits the P225, so I'll need to check.
I have a couple spare part kits for the P225 and plenty of magazines as I also have a P225 "German Police Pistol".

I am thinking of carrying the P225 again.

Does anyone else have a love for the P225?

If anyone has a set of Nills that are gathering dust just let me know.

StarchedCover

Posts: 188 | Location: The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I have owned 5, not counting the 2 P225A1's that I did not care for. Now down to one classic P225, after thinning the herd in preparation for my advanced years. I took it on a canoe float/alligator spotting trip not long ago, and also on an overnight trip to a mountain cabin for some hiking.

They are my all time favorite semi-auto handguns, and I shoot it really well. No other gun grip feels that good in my hand. But I fully understand how the newer generation of shooters would scoff at the comparable weight and capacity.

I also appreciate that it is the intro photo for this forum.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1879 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my P6 that has a complete set of P225 springs installed.

When the Michigan State Police switched from revolvers to auto loading 9mm’s in 1989, the detectives were issued P225’s. A short time later they transitioned to the P228 models. When I found my P6 (about 2016), I found 3 NOS magazines at a Lansing area police supply company. They let me have all 3 for $30. They said they just about junked them since nobody knew what they fit.

Sometimes it pays off to be older than dirt.

Trooper Joe (retired MSP in 1989)

Posts: 460 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I love my P6. I sent it to Sig a number of years ago for new night sights and a spring refresh package (I want to say it was some Father's Day Special) and it came back with P225 springs in it which massively improved the trigger. Mine is a well worn favorite that has gone many places with me. It is always very accurate and fits my hand perfectly.

Posts: 634 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarchedCover:
<<snip>>
<<snip>>

I have a WG P-225 and dearly love it! It is still my all-around favorite Sig. Mine is box stock with the exception of Night Fission night sights; yellow up front with larger colored ring, and green in the back. It's one of those that will go to the grave with me!

Posts: 4784 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarchedCover:

Have you looked at the image at the top of the forum? Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
If I saw a P225(with mags haha) at a good price I would snatch it up, even if it was really beat up.

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think with todays constant onslaught of new products, tech and mediums to show/push them it’s easy to forgot that that “old” gun shoots just as good if not better today then it ever has and will serve you just as well today as it did in the “before times”.

Most of us are guilty of chasing the new shiny but those “old friends” are awesome and honestly in some ways better than that new shiny.

Take care, shoot safe and enjoy that P225
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I bought one from a Forum member a few years ago. I sent it to SIG for the SSP and bought new springs for all of the mags.

I just need to get out and shoot it, before I carry it.

If you remember years ago (pre P6 years), the P225 enjoyed an almost cult-like status.

If you wanted one, you would pay a premium, b/c most who bought them LOVED them. They just seem to fit most peoples hands quite well.

Hell, if you did not like it after buying one, you could most certainly sell it, for more than you paid for it.

Let's face it, a single stack, metal, mid-size 9mm. Many likely consider the P-225 a Dinosaur.

There is nothing cool, futuristic, or sexy about the P-225 and that is the point.

When I see someone carrying a P-225, it speaks volumes.

I like it and hope to someday soon, carry mine.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the P225!

Posts: 2025 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
I've still got my last batch P225 (well, I guess second to last batch - the 2009 manufacture German triple-proofed ones that preceded the ones marked "German Police Pistol"), along with a stash of springs, replacement parts, and even a spare OEM barrel that I had intentions of transplanting into a beater P6. I never did buy the P6.

I also have 4 unused mags still in the bags, plus I believe 8 or 10 excellent condition mags. And a really nice Nick Matthews IWB for the P225. At one point I carried this pistol routinely.

I'd have to check my logbook, but I probably have not shot that gun in a decade. Thanks for the reminder; I think I'll take it out next range trip!

Posts: 493 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
I have 2. An old WG with the original green box and all the goodies and an old Montage Suisse from like 80 or 81 I think. Great guns.

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1203 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite Sig, P-225 if chosen by the W. German and Swiss police it's my choice also.

Posts: 190 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My P225 remains one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range. Of course mine has been worked over by Bruce Gray so that certainly helps but even when I just had a basic P6 with no upgrades I liked the platform quite a bit. It got me into P-series Sigs and now I have a couple but the P225 remains my favorite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite pistol. I own 5. I carry one on Sundays often. I love the simplicity of the single stack, but I've occasionally wondered if a frame could be engineered with the same profile but accommodate a 1.5 stack mag. Either way, I wish Sig would bring this back--I seriously doubt they will--but if they did it like the 40th Anniversary P226 (as opposed to the A1 thing), that's be cool.

Posts: 490 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neex:
My favorite pistol. I own 5. I carry one on Sundays often. I love the simplicity of the single stack, but I've occasionally wondered if a frame could be engineered with the same profile but accommodate a 1.5 stack mag. Either way, I wish Sig would bring this back--I seriously doubt they will--but if they did it like the 40th Anniversary P226 (as opposed to the A1 thing), that's be cool.

The first 228’s were just about the same size as the 225’s only slightly wider to accommodate the wider magazine. That is why MSP changed from 225’s to 228’s for detectives the first year they started using them.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 460 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a P6 that I've changed the springs, hammer, and barrel out on to basically make it commercial P225 spec. I love the way the gun feels in the hand. The long-ish trigger reach and thin grip corresponds well to my long, thin fingers.

That said, my P228 and P229SAS also feel great in the hand, and hold more bullets in an overall package that isn't significantly larger...the difference is minimal enough that IMO it's worth carrying the double-stack just for the extra capacity. Still love my P6/P225, it just doesn't get carried anymore.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I have a P6 that I've changed the springs, hammer, and barrel out on to basically make it commercial P225 spec. I love the way the gun feels in the hand. The long-ish trigger reach and thin grip corresponds well to my long, thin fingers.

That said, my P228 and P229SAS also feel great in the hand, and hold more bullets in an overall package that isn't significantly larger...the difference is minimal enough that IMO it's worth carrying the double-stack just for the extra capacity. Still love my P6/P225, it just doesn't get carried anymore.

My P-6 has all P225 springs. It was made in 1979 and the stock barrel seems to feed most hollow point ammo with no problem.

Trooper Joe

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Mine is dated 03/79. It most definitely would not feed hollowpoint ammo, and would hang up against the base of the feed ramp very consistently. It was a carry gun for me at the time, so this was entirely unacceptable. I even tried some of the fancy EFMJ ammo that was designed to get around the stupid New Jersey law, but it had a flat face that also hung up on the ramp.

Ultimately, I just bought a P225 barrel which has a noticeably smoother feed ramp transition, and that solved the problem. I have a feeling that stuff like Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense could have worked ok in the old barrel, but that wasn't yet widely available at the time.

I still have all the original parts and it would be a simple matter to put it all back. These days for what it's used for I probably could and it would still work just fine with the ammo I'm feeding it. At the time I was a broke college kid and it was the second handgun I ever bought (the other was a full-size 92FS), so carry reliability was a lot more important than "original condition".

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post