SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wilson Combat p365xl grip issue with standard p365 slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Combat p365xl grip issue with standard p365 slide Login/Join 
Picture of ffhounddog
posted
Replaced the grip on one of my p365xl’s to the Wilson Combat Grip XL and wanted to see how the p365 standard slide fit and I could not get it to slide all the way back. It hangs up at 3/4 of the way. It fits on the standard P365xl slide no issue. Could it be tolerance stacking between the two?

The p365xl slide fits just fine on the p365xl Wilson combat grip.

Question:
What could be the issue?

Choices:
Slide differences
P365 vs p365xl FCU?
Grip issue?

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fcu’s are identical in the 365 lineup. Exactly the same in 365, 365 X/XL, and 365 Macro. That ain’t the problem. There is a small part/lever that can stick up and bind. Don’t actually know what it is. I would also check that takedown lever is in correct position. If not just nudge the slide release upwards and move the takedown lever to takedown position. If those don’t work I am out of guesses.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post

This might be the issue pedropcola is talking about.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
I tried It again replaced the grip back to factory and I was having the same issue with my p365 standard slide. It fits the Macro, Spectre, XL slides no problem just have issue with the standard p365 slide. I think it I will shoot the XL for a bit and see if there might be an issue with the rails. Just have 100 rounds out of the XL since I carry and shoot the Spectre Comp daily.

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Check to make sure the takedown lever bar is hooked behind the sear. When you move the bar it should pull the sear down and let the slide come all the way to the rear. I watched a video by a guy going by the name of rogue banshee, and it helped me get mine back together.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
The 365 slides is good to go on the 365 frame.

I had A thought of making a p365xish pistol or get an extended barrel.

I will take a look at the lever tomorrow after church.

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffhounddog:
I tried It again replaced the grip back to factory and I was having the same issue with my p365 standard slide. It fits the Macro, Spectre, XL slides no problem just have issue with the standard p365 slide. I think it I will shoot the XL for a bit and see if there might be an issue with the rails. Just have 100 rounds out of the XL since I carry and shoot the Spectre Comp daily.

Hopefully you solved the issue, if not, I suspect the L shape tail of takedown transfer bar had jumped in the front of the sear leg. It should be behind the sear leg. That keeping the sear up and you can’t reassemble the slide. It happens to me after a few disassembly bc the black pin that holds the bar inside the Fcu has loosen a bit. The trick is to hold both sides of FCU as you remove the unit from the frame. Keep the takedown transfer bar in place as you replace the unit into the grip module.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. The P365 FCU isn't intended to be as readily moved from module to module and back as the P320. You have to do it a bit more carefully with the P365 than with the P320, otherwise parts start falling off and getting jostled out of place.

The fact the P365's FCU requires punching out a pin, whereas the P320's doesn't, helps signify to the user that it's a higher level of maintenance action, and not a normal part of standard disassembly like it is on the P320.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is another thread where a guy keeps having the same part come out. Turns out he apparently is removing the fcu as part of his normal "field strip". wtf?

I have swapped these out a bunch because I couldn't decide which grip modules I would use. Stock, stock with Talons, GG's, then finally Wilson Combat.

I just bought the GG's flat trigger so I'm taking one of them apart. In general I agree that they aren't meant to come out of the FCU regularly. Or if they do you need to know how to put one back together Humpty Dumpty style.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
There is another thread where a guy keeps having the same part come out. Turns out he apparently is removing the fcu as part of his normal "field strip". wtf?

I have swapped these out a bunch because I couldn't decide which grip modules I would use. Stock, stock with Talons, GG's, then finally Wilson Combat.

I just bought the GG's flat trigger so I'm taking one of them apart. In general I agree that they aren't meant to come out of the FCU regularly. Or if they do you need to know how to put one back together Humpty Dumpty style.

You need a third and a 4th hand and whole lot of dexterity with the takedown lever, bar and the rear pin while putting it back together.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what worries me. I have taken apart and more importantly put back together many CZ decocker sear cages though so I have some confidence. Lol.

I bought that GG flat 365 trigger. I wonder if it is money wasted. It also requires taking that little pos apart. I’ve watched a bunch of videos. I would be lying if I didn’t admit the fcu seems a little daunting.

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I’ve done three trigger swap on 365, the two areas which give me the most problem are 1. Pushing the short sear spring leg aside with a pin punch at the same time trying to push a pin thru, and 2, installing the takedown lever, steering the front tab into the takedown lever notch while rotate it enough to position the L shape tail behind the sear leg, and at the same time push the pin thru so it captures the bar and the safety lever on the opposite side of the sear cage….

posted Hide Post
The SAS model gives me fits. The takedown lever is just a slotted screw. You can take it down easily, but sometimes the dang thing won't realign for reassembly. I no longer field strip it, I lock the slide back and use a bore snake. Eventually, I'll have to hand it on a string and spray it down with gun scrubber.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just installed the GG’s flat trigger. Some guy named Sig Guy has a new easier video of how to take these down. It was not that hard other than being freaking tiny. The manual safety was kind of in the way too.

posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen when changing to the Wilson , the problem was just what poster Pittwm said !!! He is right on with his info .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I had the same thing happen when changing to the Wilson , the problem was just what poster Pittwm said !!! He is right on with his info .

The take down transfer bar likes to work itself out of the FCU and the tail jump in front of the sear leg and it caused the sear to stay upright

posted Hide Post
Sounds like I got lucky when I installed the Wilson grip module onto my XL.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn’t get lucky. I’ve got 6 of these. I have swapped them from the stock grip modules to the Grayguns modules to the Wilson Combat modules. At an absolute minimum that is 12 swaps and I can tell you it’s closer to 30 swaps with all my tinkering, adding manual safeties to them all, flat triggers, etc.

One guy said it succinctly above. The 320 module is very robust and unlikely to come apart at all. The 365 is very small in comparison. The parts are smaller, the tolerances are tighter, they aren’t really designed to be bounced around outside of the grip module as 5he manual clearly states. Can you swap them? Of course you can but for fucks sake be cognizant of all the above.

You weren’t lucky. You were probably just a bit more careful which really is all it takes.

Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
Thing is I dis get it installed in a 365 module no issue just on a XL it’s having the issue. It’s okay now I just bought another p365 slide and it works.

Talking with Sig they said it could be tolerance stacking but they both function correctly on the correct stock.