SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shout out of thanks re: P239 Conversion to 9mm!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shout out of thanks re: P239 Conversion to 9mm! Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I just wanted to thank the SF members that clued me in on how easy it was to convert a Sig P239 .357/.40 S&W to 9mm! I bought my P239 used in .357 Sig when I saw it offered for a good price at my LGS. I couldn't carry it in that caliber as my department the .357 Sig, but knew that I'd only have to buy a .40 S&W barrel and magazines to convert it to a caliber which was approved.

That was about ten years ago. Although I didn't carry the piece (as a .40 S&W) very often, when I learned from fellow SF members here that these were easily converted to 9mm, I recently acquired factory 9mm barrel, and bought a 9mm recoil spring so I'd have that option too. Last week, I tried shooting a variety of factory 124 and 147 grain loads through the pistol using both .357 Sig and .40 S&W magazines. Not only did the pistol function perfectly (about 100 rounds through it), but it actually shot noticeably better than with the other calibers! Eek

I like the idea of having the flexibility of converting to another caliber when the need arises and am grateful that informed SF members passed the information on to myself and others that didn't know this was such an easy option with the P239!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
So just a barrel and recoil spring and mags?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
So just a barrel and recoil spring and mags?

I only needed the 9mm barrel and recoil spring. As noted by our fellow SF members, the .357 Sig and .40 S&W magazines worked just fine with 9mm ammunition in my P239! YMMV! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Most guns need a conversion barrel. Just dropping in a factory barrel usually doesn't work with the extractor and ejector.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thing I change is the barrel. No problems.

However, if you don't have a good grip, I suggest changing the recoil spring. As I've saw problems when fired by someone with a weak grip.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And THIS is why one always wants to purchase the .40 S&W version of any Sig...caliber change to 357SIG or 9mm is a barrel, recoil spring, and appropriate magazine.

Same applies to Glocks. Never buy a G19, buy the G23, or the G22 over the G17, etc.

The difference in rim size between the 9mm and .40 S&W is .030", which means .015" RADIUS or just under .4mm...that's 4/10ths of a single millimeter! This difference is well covered by the extractor's ability to grip the rim!

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 is an anomaly. A number of SF members have converted their .40 to 9mm using just a Sig OEM native 9mm barrel. GaryBF was one of the early adopters. My own P239 .40 experience:

1) Replace .40 OEM barrel with 9 mm Sig OEM barrel. NOT a conversion barrel, just a native OEM 9mm. Other Sig .40-9mm conversions require a CONVERSION barrel. Possible exception is P226 noted below.

2) Reliable with both .40 and 9mm mags.

3) Had Sig "Plus 1" kit installed on both .40 and 9mm mags. No longer available. It was recommended for use on .40 mags only. Didn't matter, it worked on both.

4) I use the .40 recoil spring with no problems.

The P239 is an anomaly because you can do everything "wrong" and it comes out right. Smile

Somebody will inevitably post that "conversions" shouldn't be used as serious defensive guns. I never got the point. If the damn thing is 100% reliable...it's 100% reliable. So what if it's a conversion? How many instances have we seen where unmodified pistols were unreliable? If it works...it works.

I've heard that the P226 can also be converted in the same manner. Haven't seen a lot of posts on that though.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
And the SP2340/SP2022 357/40 SIGPros.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
And THIS is why one always wants to purchase the .40 S&W version of any Sig...caliber change to 357SIG or 9mm is a barrel, recoil spring, and appropriate magazine.
Actually, to get to 9mm this is really only the case for the SIG Pro and P239, I believe all the others require a conversion barrel at a minimum... Extraction isn't usually the problem, in many cases it is the locking insert as well.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Now I'm looking for a 9mm barrel. Thanks a lot!

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I notice top gun supply says the 9mm barrel is not for use in the .40 or .357 slide. Any reason?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I notice top gun supply says the 9mm barrel is not for use in the .40 or .357 slide. Any reason?

Because Sig doesn't sanction this. The 9mm barrel wasn't designed to work in the larger caliber slides. In many (most?) cases it works but if you damage the pistol or hurt yourself you're on your own. Sig also doesn't sanction using .40 caliber magazines for all three calibers but that seems to work as well.

Posts: 60 | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone speak to their experience with running a 9mm barrel in their 40SW Sig Pro? I'd love to get a barrel for my 2340.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Can anyone speak to their experience with running a 9mm barrel in their 40SW Sig Pro? I'd love to get a barrel for my 2340.

Yes. I did it and it worked (sample size of one).

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5960010824

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post