SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What would you choose from Ruger if you could have anything?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you choose from Ruger if you could have anything? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
No reason, just always wanted one. Plus it would go well with my dads Deerstalker 44 carbine

This was going to be my recommendation. Because I have one. Also have a Ruger P89 but that loose tolerance beast is hard to recommend with today's standards.

Think I'm going to go with those convertible Blackhawks, which are now on my list to go with my two .40 239s with 9mm and .357sig barrels, and my .40 229 with a .357 sig barrel.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
I own more Rugers than I need I need but, Redhawk
model 5050 in 45colt/ 45acp (moon clips)

https://ruger.com/products/red...specSheets/5050.html

This is one that I don't yet have, but really want. I passed on one in the LGS a year or so ago for $850. Should have bought it. Current MSRP is #1300!!! Eek For that money I'll stay content with my Blackhawk Convertible...it was literally half that.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
I own more Rugers than I need I need but, Redhawk
model 5050 in 45colt/ 45acp (moon clips)

https://ruger.com/products/red...specSheets/5050.html

This is one that I don't yet have, but really want. I passed on one in the LGS a year or so ago for $850. Should have bought it. Current MSRP is #1300!!! Eek

I luckily got mine before the insanity hit, I think $850 is around what I paid for it. It’s a real fun gun that makes shooting .45ACP a blast.

If you get one buy TK Customs moon clips. The factory Ruger moon clips are okay but the TK Customs are far better.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nev:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
No reason, just always wanted one. Plus it would go well with my dads Deerstalker 44 carbine

Don't know what the problem is but I along with several friends had issues with Ruger revolvers. All relatively recent manufacture. All of them were sent back and came back with issues.
This was going to be my recommendation. Because I have one. Also have a Ruger P89 but that loose tolerance beast is hard to recommend with today's standards.

Think I'm going to go with those convertible Blackhawks, which are now on my list to go with my two .40 239s with 9mm and .357sig barrels, and my .40 229 with a .357 sig barrel.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Ruger products and completely support you buying something for the heck of it.

You mention a few options, and others have made some suggestions.

I don't know you enough to fine-tune recommendations beyond what you've found here but I have yet to find a Ruger that I didn't have fun with.

I will say that, if you are a bit persnickety about trigger feel [like I am. My friends think I'm a trigger snob- not a brand one, but one based on 'feel'.], you will probably find that you'll want the triggers worked on.

That should NOT cause you to not buy anything, but you should be aware.

The only three [new] Ruger's I've used that I NEVER felt needed to be worked on were: Mini-14, P97DC, LCR [either in .38 or .357- I LOVE the factory feel compared to many others out of box!].

I could go into plus/minus recommendations- but, I just don't know enough about what floats your boat to do anything other than write a browser long post assessing the qualities of every firearm they make- and that is far from helpful.

I will say, why stop at one?

Keep in mind that I believe the New Hampshire factory is primarily revolvers, while the Arizona factory is semi-autos, and I think their semi-auto rifles are Arizona or the new one in the south [north carolina? I forget].

SO, if you want one MADE near you, it will probably be a single-action revolver.

I bring this up from using the customer service lines when contacting them, as I have semi-auto pistol, SA revolver, DA Revolver, and semi-auto rifle- and I've had to get info from multiple locations at times.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
20ga Red Label O/U shotgun w/ 3" chambers and 28" barrels. I prefer the newer model with the stainless receiver and interchangeable choke tubes.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:
20ga Red Label O/U shotgun w/ 3" chambers and 28" barrels. I prefer the newer model with the stainless receiver and interchangeable choke tubes.

Umm, Didn't Ruger stop producing those around 2012?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you are in NH, I’d likely pick from the list of NH-made models:

LCR
LCRx
Bearcat
Ruger SP101
Wrangler
GP100
Super GP100
Single-Six Family
New Model Blackhawk
New Model Super Blackhawk
Redhawk
Super Redhawk
Vaquero

SP101 is the most iconic Ruger gun to me, so that would be my first pick. Bearcat would be my next choice. You really can’t go wrong with any of them..

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AC-556K……stock removed!

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have my old 200th year #1 Henry 45/70 back. I sold it to help pay for an engagement ring. The gun is long gone but I still have the girl.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The No. 1 is a very attractive rifle. I had one for a time, a Light Sporter (22-inch barrel with the front sling swivel on the barrel) in .30-06. However, when trying to shoot it off a bench, it beat my shoulder and arm numb.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The No. 1 is a very attractive rifle. I had one for a time, a Light Sporter (22-inch barrel with the front sling swivel on the barrel) in .30-06. However, when trying to shoot it off a bench, it beat my shoulder and arm numb.
Yeah, the light sporter in .30-06 will punish you.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ranch Rifle.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So many great options in this thread, and I think it speaks to the broad range of really good products that Ruger produces as a company. They make a little of everything, and aren't afraid to offer stuff in a wide variety of calibers and barrel-lengths, etc. I don't like everything they make, and sometimes I prefer a competitor's product, but it's undeniable that they have their finger on the pulse of the market and know what shooters actually want. My favorite gun is not a Ruger, but they are probably my favorite gun company.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SP101 in .357.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:

Umm, Didn't Ruger stop producing those around 2012?

Indeed....was referring to the newer of the old models

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Either the Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480 Ruger, or the Model 77 African in .375 Ruger.

If neither of those did the trick, I have always lusted after the Stainless Bird's Head Vaquero in .45 Colt.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything?
10/22 takedown with a bull barrel and Magpul stock. Stainless wouldn't be too much to ask for.

Ruger single action convertible .22/.22 Mag, 6in barrel. Again, stainless.

Yeah, when it comes to Ruger, my tastes are simple.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk my Grandpa left us in a useful caliber instead of .41 Magnum.

Posts: 4161 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I consider the .41 veryi useful. I would think you could sell those 2 guns for good money as not a lot were made.

quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk my Grandpa left us in a useful caliber instead of .41 Magnum.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post