SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    At my friends gun shop the other day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At my friends gun shop the other day Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
He sent a damaged P228 back to Exeter for a customer about a month a go, the lower frame had a hairline crack running from the trigger guard to the end of the slide near the muzzle. Sig replaced the frame but the serial number on the frame according to the list here is a 229 frame it begins with Axxxx. Just curious if anybody else has seen this.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
He sent a damaged P228 back to Exeter for a customer about a month a go, the lower frame had a hairline crack running from the trigger guard to the end of the slide near the muzzle. Sig replaced the frame but the serial number on the frame according to the list here is a 229 frame it begins with Axxxx. Just curious if anybody else has seen this.

Nothing weird about it. P228 frame is the same as the old P229(9) frame. In fact, the very last batch of P228s that came out of SIG NH have the AHU-, AJU-, and AKU-prefixes.

Q

Posts: 26503 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q the slide is the exact same slide and barrel, always seen B numbers on 228's.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I always wondered why one of my 228s had a different serial number (AHU), now I know. Thanks for the education Q.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Another interesting factoid. Did you know that there are "B" prefixed serial P229s coming from factory that are floating around out there?

A few years ago, I saw a SAS frame "B" P229 from 2009 on GB and thought it was a FrankenP229, because I knew there were SAS frame P228s from 2009, and thought there were no "B" P229s. So, I contacted my SIG CSR to inquire. Turned out that it was not a FrankenSIG and did come from factory that way.

Interestingly, the SAS frame actually came from P229 originally, anyway. SIG, in 2009, just decided to allocate some of them frames to make the P228s, giving them frames the B serial numbers. But apparently, they had some of these B-numbered frames left over. So, what did they do? Gave them back to the P229 slides. So, now, you have the B-numbered P229s as came from factory. I forgot to capture the pics. However, I still have the serial number and email communications with the CSR Super about this P229.

Serial # B350345
Part Number: E29-9-SAS2B

Q

Posts: 26503 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Question: If it has a new serial number, do you need to do the transfer paperwork?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or, would you want to assert that the original SN did not change, but a proof or other mark was added? Don't know how ATF would look at this.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post