SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Please tell me about the beretta cougar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please tell me about the beretta cougar Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Saw in interesting minty one at a local shop.

Don’t know much about them. Anyone like them?

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Cougar is an excellent pistol that could have been much more popular, imo, if Beretta hadn't screwed its design by having it accepting a different mag than the 92FS. The gun, a full size pistol, was born smack in the middle of the Klinton AWB era that can only take a neutered 10-rounder. That really killed it, imo. If they had designed it to take the 92FS mag, which was plenty available, its chance of success could have been better. Had the 9mm Cougar, and the only negative I found was the grip's back area near top, where the step off is quite abrupt, making it feel awkward.

Sure, the Stoeger Cougar is the Turkey gun now built on the same Beretta machinery, but the world has moved on.

Q

Posts: 26388 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have a mini Cougar, sweet shooting pistol, it's my wife's "truck gun" When I find a Cougar in inox, I will own that too

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago and it was a great shooting gun. I agree with 12131, that Beretta dropped the ball on it. It could have been a great gun going forward had they used the 92 magazines. Mine ran like a top and accuracy was perfect. I liked the grip/frame as I was able to get a comfortable hold on it. It was not as sexy as the 92fs,especially with the enclosed slide.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through a Cougar phase. They are good guns handicapped by the mag. Not using the 92 mag like the others have stated is pure idiocy.

That being said I still really like them. If you break into my house right this second my gun vault on this floor has a Cougar L, the compact version which I much prefer to the full size.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it could have been better with the 92's mags and even better without the 92's slide mounted safety. Check out the highly under rated Beretta PX4, it's sort of the polymer version of the Cougar. The PX4 compact is one of my favorite pistols.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've never had the opportunity to handle one, but if I found one cheap I'd be tempted to pick it up. I like interesting designs, and I'm intrigued by the rotating barrel design.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the slide mounted safety. It is a much better design than the 92. On the 92 you have to buy a conversion kit which works fine but is a bit of a bear to install. They actually send two of the tiny springs and recommend you do the install inside a ziplock. Good advice. I did it inside a ziplock after the first spring disappeared across my office. Still lost. Lol. On the Cougar you just remove a spring and tiny ball bearing and it’s jus a decocker. I hate slide mounted safeties. I have no similar hate for a slide mounted decocker. In fact, I don’t even understand why the hate. Worst case scenario with an overhand slide release you could decock, which isn’t the end of the world. Putting it on safe, end of world. Don’t understand the hate there.

Try out a Cougar. You’ll like it. PX4’s are great too. They never took off but they are a great sleeper.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The 8045 is very soft shooting. My friend bought (legally) both of mine. I am keeping my 8000 9mm mini Cougar. Grip is a bit chunky but 10 rounds of 9mm in a relatively tidy package is nice.

Two things to keep in mind:

1: Don’t shoot the Cougar dry, this is an unforgiving design for that. Always keep the Barrel lug and other parts lubed. Break free works fine, grease is better. I use shooters choice grease on my mini.

2. Especially with the 9mm models don’t run weak ammo in it. The rotating barrel needs adequate oomph to work properly. +P ammo is not needed but standard pressure 124gr. rounds are
A good way to go to help ensure reliable operation. Sellier and Bellot 115gr. Fmj also works in my 8000 mini.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they first came out I bought one in 40 S&W (Model 8040) because of the retarded 10 round mag capacity issue others have mentioned in this thread. My rationale being, if only 10 rds are permitted, then better a 40 than a 9mm. I totally agree that the Model 8000 would have been MUCH more popular if it used 92 mags. Then in 2004 after the AWB died a most deserving death, I sold the 40 and picked up both a 9mm Model 8000F version along with a bunch of factory 15 rd mags "LE" marked as well as a Model 8000L and several high cap mags for it. The 8000L is a most perfectly sized platform for the Model 8000 in 9mm!!! Great balance, compact, reliable, etc. Have a look at one if you get a chance and compare it to the full sized 8000 and see what you think.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had an afterthought. If your heart is set on a Beretta Cougar, you may want to consider a PX4 Storm Compact or "Compact Carry" which is a polymer framed version of the Cougar. I've not had the opportunity to handle one as of yet but it gets good reviews. Anyone have experience with this model?

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Just had an afterthought. If your heart is set on a Beretta Cougar, you may want to consider a PX4 Storm Compact or "Compact Carry" which is a polymer framed version of the Cougar. I've not had the opportunity to handle one as of yet but it gets good reviews. Anyone have experience with this model?

They may look alike, but holding/gripping the PX4 Storm is nothing like gripping the all metal Cougar. The polymer grip just doesn't feel right to me, maybe because I prefer more traction on a grip.

Q

Posts: 26388 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The North Carolina Highway Patrol used them as the duty sidearm for a few years.

They were not very popular as I recall. Didn't last very long.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker has a .40 Stoeger Cougar.

Compared to my 357Sig P320C, the Cougar is like shooting a 22. I imagine in 9mm, it's even softer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I have two 8357s. Love them...two of my favorite guns that I have. With that said, they wouldn't be high up on my list as a carry gun compared to other options out there.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post