SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting Low With P365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Low With P365 Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
I love my P365, but I'm shooting everything low left because of the small grip and its angle. What's been everyone's experience in simply adding a few layers of grip tape on the backstrap to fill the hand a little more and tilt the barrel upward?

Thanks!

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Curved trigger or straight trigger? You 'may' find the straight trigger enables you to 'shoot straighter'. Wink

Sorry I couldn't resist, but it definitely can be a thing, as the straight trigger 'can' promote better trigger finger placement on the trigger shoe, resulting in a lower likelihood of 'pulling' your shot(s).

The Wilson Combat Grip Module may also help/work better for you as it adds palm swell and fills the hand a bit better than the OEM Grip Module, which is rather 'hockey stick' like. Personally, I like the SIG P365X configuration and added the XL Grip Module to my Std P365 right out of the case as I want (need!) my pinky on the grip for adequate purchase on the pistol! YMMV

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8894 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There are like a ton of grip modules out there I am guessing you could find one that would work better then layering tape.

That said you know what one of the marks of an experienced shooter is? When they say “I AM shooting low and left” and realize it’s the shooter and far less likely the gun. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this will help or not but I replaced my front sight to a #6, as the sight that comes on it is a #8. Once I did this, my aim/shots were where they should be. I really don't care for the combat sight picture, as my other guns are not set up that way.

If it is actually your grip, I would look at the Xl grip, as you can get a better grip on the gun.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
A #6 front sight would actually make your pistol shoot lower than a #8. (2 inches lower at 25 yds.)

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
There are like a ton of grip modules out there I am guessing you could find one that would work better then layering tape.

That said you know what one of the marks of an experienced shooter is? When they say “I AM shooting low and left” and realize it’s the shooter and far less likely the gun. Smile

This ^^^

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first got my P365 it also shot low and left. Looking at the top of the slide I found the rear sight was left of center so got out my digital calipers which confirmed that observation. A bit of time in a soft jaw vice and I had that rear sight on center and the pistol shooting low and on center. Previous experience with my Ruger LC9S Pro led me to try some 147 grain ammo that I use in the Ruger because that is what the sights were regulated for. By golly I now have a P365 that shoots spot on to the sights.

The lesson I learned here is to always check the sights on a new pistol, because much too often they are set to "good enough". The second lesson is try a variety of ammunition profiles and weights and see what works best.

PS; I currently have three 9mm pistols regulated for 147 grain bullets. They are my 9mm SR1911 CMD, my Ruger LC9S Pro, and my P365. With my TZ75 the sights are regulated for 125 grain bullets.

I guess I should get a bit specific. You may have a push flinch. Low and Left is very typical for right handed new shooters with a push flinch. Note, Lefties go low and right. If you are a relatively new shooter placing a snap cap in the middle of a loaded magazine will illustrate your flinch as soon as you pull the trigger on that snap cap.

If you don't have a flinch issue then it can be a sighting issue with the gun itself. The 9mm is a Defensive Caliber and pistol manufacturers will set up their pistols for what they feel is the best choice of a Defensive ammunition. As a result there is a rather high degree of elevation variation due to bullet weights used by the gun manufacturer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are anticipating/flinching. There’s nothing you should do to the gun; you need to work on you. My recommendation is to get yourself used to the bang and recoil. Train yourself that the pistol isn’t going to fly out of your hands. If you don’t believe this is the case, have someone load a mag for you and include a snap cap or two somewhere. You’ll find out you dip the pistol.

A lot of people suggest dry fire to ingrain the good fundamentals. And it can’t hurt (unless you practice bad habits). But what you’re reacting to can’t be simulated with dry fire. You need to start with a mag dump. Just get yourself used to the noise and feel.

The bad news is, it could be a compound issue. You could be flinching, snatching the trigger, peeking over the sights, or any combination. But I’d start working on your flinch. And double up your ear pro too.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, most likely it is shooter error expecting the recoil. At the range, rest the pistol on a block of carpeted wood or similar support. Try hard to hold the gun still, and pull only on the trigger finger. Also ask someone else to carefully fire a few rounds.

Once errors in the gun itself are resolved, practice the bump drill. Bump drill and dry firing should make a huge difference. I used to be a poor shot until I took a three day class from Jerry Jones at OpSpec Training. A two or three day quality class will train you to use proper trigger pull, and you will stop wasting ammo.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how often I read on gun forums guys complaining "the gun is
off". If I'm not shooting well, my first thought is that it's me, not the gun.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low left is usually technique. Low is sometimes due to Sig's habit of using sights calling for you to blot out the POI with the front dot.

A friend just yesterday asked me to shoot his P365 to see if it is him or the gun that is off center.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Low left is usually technique.

In a way. I own a gun that I shoot low left, unless I hold it in some strange, non natural way. Curl my thumb in tight and tuck it down as low as I can. Then it's okay. So yes, it's me and my grip, hand size/shape. But since I don't have this issue with a hundred or so other models, it's safe to blame it on the gun design as much as my hand.

I couldn't warm up to the 365 because it always feels like the heel of the grip is very high in the palm of my hand and the muzzle low. Yeah I have big hands, but no other gun feels that way to me.

We may not like it, but one size does not fit all. Some guns just don't work well for some people.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something cheap to try is the hogue hand all grip sleeve. I had this issue with a hellcat and a shield and put them on and it was just enough to fill in the thin grip and also gave me good grip and helped with the recoil some too. The hellcats rear sight was also off a little too so don’t rule that out for the left part. I confirmed it was off with a red dot, laser and also shooting my wife’s identical gun and shooting it straight compared to mine. It shoots good now. The low part was definitely me though. I developed an anticipation flinch somehow and just got it worked out recently. What worked for me was using a laser and dry firing, keeping the dot on target, and then repeating it with a live round right after. This also worked well for some newer shooters I was helping out.

Posts: 19 | Location: Strattanville Pennsylvania  | Registered: January 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Like others have posted, low left for a right handed shooter is usually shot / recoil anticipation.

It can also be the gun so I always recommend having another experienced shooter or two shoot it to see if they get the same result.

But it can also be an improper grip. When I first bought my P365XL, I shot high left when I gripped the gun naturally. I've got big hands and the stock 365 grip is small and narrow so I must have been heeling the gun. I had another instructor shoot the gun and it shot balls on for him. He has small hands. I swapped out the stock module with a Wilson Combat module and it instantly fixed my issue.

Just my experience and .02

Good luck!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mc45:
Something cheap to try is the hogue hand all grip sleeve. I had this issue with a hellcat and a shield and put them on and it was just enough to fill in the thin grip and also gave me good grip and helped with the recoil some too.

This is what made the P365 shootable for me. The factory grip was just too small for my hands, and the handall grip sleeve bulked it up just enough to give me decent grip purchase. If nothing else it's worth a try....cheap, easy, and makes no permanent modifications to the gun.

If that alone doesn't fix it, I'd suggest having another trusted shooter try the gun before you start making changes to sights or other mechanical components.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Low left is usually technique. Low is sometimes due to Sig's habit of using sights calling for you to blot out the POI with the front dot. Low is sometimes due to Sig's habit of using sights calling for you to blot out the POI with the front dot.

This

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post