SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    J frame IWB holster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

J frame IWB holster Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Looking for a comfortable minimal IWB (or possibly OWB?) holster for Smith 642. I saw one on one of the EDC pocket dump sites somewhere that was really cool but can’t find it now. I can’t remember if it was leather or Kydex or a combination of the two. Anyway what y’all got?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Two off the shelf IWB J frame holsters I like are the Galco Summer Comfort and the DeSantis Cozy Partner. Both can be had for about $100 +/- and have reinforced mouth to allow for a safe re-holstering.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m saving my money to try one of Lobo Gunleather’s IWB Offset Belt Clip holsters for a newly purchased SW 640. They start around $90.00. I’m currently using a Galco Stow & Go. The belt clip does not inspire confidence. I carry AWIB.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Ruger357, I'm going to email you a photo I have of one I never use. If you like it, I'll send it to you free of charge. It's a minimalist leather IWB made by Side Guard Holsters. It's for a 1-7/8" J-frame.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have an Alessi leather holster for my 642. It is excellent but was made when Lou Alessi was still alive. I wouldn't trust them now, if they are still in business. The last one I got from them just a few years ago was not well made and it took a long time to get. From what I understand, I was lucky to get it at all.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Don Hume makes one...I think it's called the S.O.O.T. Nice stiff leather and a re-enforced opening with belt loops that close with a snap. It's also very affordable, for leather. I typically prefer a sweat shield, but haven't found the lack of one to be a problem for a J-Frame. Mine holds the gun securely, and it's pretty minimalist, which I like as it matches the purpose of the J-Frame.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For simple I was also going to suggest Hume. Good stuff, very inexpensive. I mean you’re not getting an R Grizzle work of art but if you just need a good quality utilitarian leather holster Don Hume stuff fits the bill.

In kydex I’ve always liked Vedder stuff.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
High Noon Tailgunner

https://highnoonholsters.com/l...holsters/tail-gunner

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I have a Garrett holsters Silent Thunder for my j frame. Its an older one, they have changed the belt clip on them now.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst2r00.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
As usual, I'd recommend the Milt Sparks Summer Special II. If not in stock, it'll be a wait of several months, but well worth it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Andrew's Custom Leather McDaniel II. IWB holster with belt loop behind the trigger guard to maintain a slimmer profile. Sam makes quality leather goods.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions thus far so I will just add that for revolvers, an offset loop or clip goes a long way on reducing bulk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Bell Charter Oak Holsters has a good selection.

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Ordered a Barsony holster for a little snubby. We'll see.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite IWB Holster for my J-Frames is a Dark Star Gear Apollo--Very good retention, great concealment, as well-made as any Kydex Holster I've ever had, and Tom & Co. are a PLEASURE to work with--I like 'em so well I have THREE for various Wheelies!

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of Simply Rugged Holsters for my J frames, OWB and you can add straps to make it IWB, works well

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Falcon:
Bell Charter Oak Holsters has a good selection.

These are top notch and I highly recommend, had used them for Smith J frame and Colt D frame for years.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Ordered a Barsony holster for a little snubby. We'll see.

This one lookes like it will close on you when gun removed, making reholster difficult or a two handed operation.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ hopefully not. I could just stuff it in my jacket then I suppose. Cheap stitching. It's not a Michael Kole that's for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone and thanks again Bob for the offer. Leaning towards the one you offered except in left hand or the bell charter deep drop. I was not familiar with this brand.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post