Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 MK25 Login/Join 
posted
Anybody know of a reason why I shouldn't purchase a new 226 MK25 Sig pistol?

Supertac45
Thunder Ranch Commanche
Sig's
N.R.A. Patron Life Member

Posts: 867 | Location: U.P. of Michigan | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having owned two, they didn’t do anything a regular P226 won’t do. I didn’t swim in saltwater with them so I didn’t need the coated internals. But the biggest negative was the 1913 rail. This can limit some holster choices. Just my opinion.

Posts: 766 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant think of a reason not to. However, you might consider a used 226 and then send it in to Sig for the factory refurb program. Might add up to a cost savings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have a German made 226 in like new condition, just looking for another one. I live about 20 miles from Marquette.

Supertac45
Thunder Ranch Commanche
Sig's

Posts: 867 | Location: U.P. of Michigan | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Supertac45
Thunder Ranch Commanche
Sig's

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I would pick the MK25 over any other current production P226s for the simple reason that I hate the long external extractor. Nothing wrong with it, functionally. I just hate the look of it on the classic P-series SIG.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only reason I could think of is if you already have one but even then. I had to sell mine and hated doing it due to shooting da/sa guns with arthritis was getting hard to do. They are great guns and will always have a following.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't think of any reason/excuse.

Send us some pics when you have time.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My P226 MK25 is currently my favorite handgun. It does not come with a SRT kit but it has the short extractor which I prefer. I installed a GGI SRT kit and their fat strut kit and the trigger is perfect. It is every bit as good and probably maybe a little better than my P228 that Bruce worked on before he sold these kits.

My son likes mine so much that he plans to buy one in the near future. I already have the GGI parts waiting to install once he does.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Does the MK25 need a different holster than a 226? I thought the rail was different.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
Does the MK25 need a different holster than a 226? I thought the rail was different.

It does require a different holster than a regular railed 226. Most major manufactures will do a MK25 specific holster.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You could always build your own... Cool

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...720034684#2720034684

Not currently on sale but Osage has been known to blow out MK25 Slide/Upper Receiver Assy's in the past. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4630013684

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it then go for it....

My MK25 fit in the same holsters as my other P226s. Well that was before I did a little modifying on it.

Now it is chambered in 357 Sig and has a few other changes... but it is my walking in the woods handgun:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I love mine, I don’t think a generic Mk25 offers much special. If you can find an NSW serial number though it offers much more collectors value.

I also agree with Q that compared to current offerings I’d take a short extractor so long as I wasn’t paying a premium for it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6339 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I must have had mine for about 10 years now. I've had a bunch of SIGs, and do prefer the short extractor and M1913 rail. Mine has led an easy life. While I've not shot mine much, it has been literally 100% reliable with the several types of ammo I've used in it. In short, it just works; I like it..

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine a lot, but I bought it when they were priced more closely in line with the regular 26R-9-BSS model several years back. YMMV but I prefer the Mk25's standard grips over the E² one-pc that the standard P226 comes with, and like Q I also don't care for the fuglier long extractor look compared to the tidy extractor on past P-SIGs and the current Mk25. And despite my small hands and short nubs for fingers, I strongly prefer the Mk25's thicker trigger profile over the skimpy, thin, slappy short trigger that the BSS comes with. And if a gun is going to wear an equipment rail, I'd rather it be M1913 than some pseudo-proprietary design.

But is any of that really worth the upcharge?

Assuming that you're buying new, IF INDEED you can actually find a 26R-9-BSS in stock and in the mid 900s vs a roughly $1100 Mk25, you'll have to decide if the changes are really worth the approximately 16% to 18% upcharge, or thereabout $150ish. Since I like the changes to the Mk25, for me to make the revision to a BSS that I would be satisfied with, I'd probably sink another $70 to $80 into the BSS to sort-of get it to where I'd want it to be (that however depends on what it costs these days to find an old-school take-off SOLID thick trigger shoe), though I'd still be stuck with the curvy SIG rail regardless and that mile-long extractor. So for me the Mk25 is genuinely worth it. Again YMMV.

One other thing, which might be a deciding factor: for our shop I just placed an order with SIG for some P226s; right now they're not shipping the BSS. Only the BSE Elite, Mk25 and Legion models are now available for order (though I didn't specifically ask about the Equinox), the latter of which is where the BIG price hike really is. The BSS version that they will allow me--but didn't recommend--to order is the BSS-CA which is the bastardized California model, of course complete with neutered 10 rounders (which for WA is fine but I'm just not sure what else was done to the gun for CA's putrid requirements).

(edited to delete pricing differences between the models. I didn't order the Mk25 this time around and have forgotten what we paid previously and don't know if SIG has raised prices since, so I don't want to put erroneous thoughts out there.)

-MG

Posts: 2007 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't reason it all out; I thought it was cool and bought it. A couple of months later a neighbor was trying to fund a new roof, so I bought his as well. The used one has a factory threaded barrel. Kinda sucks since the threads are backwards, but...

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Only reason I can think of is it’s not SAO.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for 12-14yrs.?
It's like pointing my finger, hits where I aim always.
3500+ rds.

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mk25 is a great weapon, I live in SW Florida, and even though 2 of my 3 MK25s live in a safe the humidity down here is why I prefer it to the other P226s as a carry. I have 6 P226s in total because I love the platform almost as much as the P220. I have had no issue with any of my P220/226/229s and holsters.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post