SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bonding with my CZ PCR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonding with my CZ PCR Login/Join 
posted
Was looking over all my handguns including my serious 9mm carry guns and thought I would share some of my thoughts about the best looking, most comfortable shooting, never malfunctioning, etc., CZ PCR (Police Czech Republic) 9mm.

I removed the steel magazine butt plate on all my 14 round magazines and am using some very nice, hard plastic, “Canik” butt plates. On the 16-round magazine, I am using an item that was sold by CZ USA which put a sort of rubber spacer on the butt plate area of the magazine to use in the CZ Compact models. CZ does sell some very nice hard rubber butt plates that are better than the stock steel plates, but I really like these old Canik items.

The CZ sights were slightly modified with just simple white paint dots on them. The original configurations were a little “skimpy”. The gun comes with some great, semi sticky rubber grips but I opted to install these very nice wood grips from CZ.

Several years ago, I started my CZ experience with a Canik 9mm which was a copy of the CZ all steel Compact model. Within a few months, I had a full-size CZ 75, an all steel Compact, a Rami, and this PCR. I have sold them all but this PCR, which isn’t going any place.

My “truck door” gun is currently a Glock 19 in a padded case (LCP in my pocket), but this PCR is the gun I usually drool over and enjoy shooting at the range (it draws a lot of attention/sort of a “barbecue” gun).

The PCR is just too nice to get marked up carrying it around in my truck (or end up in a Police property room in case there is a serious social situation that I may encounter).

Please share your thoughts and first hand CZ experiences.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 425 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The PCR is just too nice to get marked up carrying it around in my truck (or end up in a Police property room in case there is a serious social situation that I may encounter).

"Two is one and one is none." I don't know about availability of the PCR, but CZs tend to be priced in a way that if you like one it's easy to get a spare.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Compact Custom L models. They came with those grips, one has full checkering, the other half. I couldn't decide between them. Night sights, but traditional Sig action, that is, carry single action or lower the hammer with a thumb. They both shoot like a dream.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
Was looking over all my handguns including my serious 9mm carry guns and thought I would share some of my thoughts about the best looking, most comfortable shooting, never malfunctioning, etc., CZ PCR (Police Czech Republic) 9mm.

I agree. The PCR is the best looking, most natural and comfortable, most balanced, and best handling CZ pistol for me, when I was into the CZs. That decocker location is where the SIG decocker wants to be.
quote:

I will never understand this mindset. There is this gun that you are most comfortable with and that is ultra reliable, and you're worried about it getting scratched? The darn thing is designed for carry. And, worry about it ending up in police property room, should it get involved in a shooting? It's not even a collectible gun. Go buy another one. It's cheap.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I loved mine when I had it. (Why the past tense? Don't ask.) I later replaced it with a P-07, later added a P-01, but while accurate and reliable guns, they just don't tickle me pink like that PCR did. In fact, I spent $200 on the P-01 to keep it from beating up my trigger finger.

PCRs and P-01s are still selling in the high fives to low sixes last time I looked. I don't know of any quality all-metal handguns without spending a lot more.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
true that. I have the same gun the OP has, it's a keeper no questions asked, whether for carry, range, or safe queen, it's that good. AND, all steel CZ guns clean up very nicely.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
It’s honestly become one of my favorite guns. I also think the size to capacity ratio is awesome.

I know once you start talking 15rnd mags there are a lot of compact contenders but other than the Glock 19 I think it one of the sveltest 15rnd guns out there and yet it is still so comfortable in the hand with a full grip

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup ! They are great little blasters for sure !

Mine has got TruGlo sites and some Gray/Black LOK grips. I will be ordering the Cajun Gunworkes Defensive package just as soon as I finish some small bits on another pistola.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track, these are wonderful pistols. I own a P01 and it is totally reliable and easy to shoot well. The sights are perfectly regulated and the gun is very accurate. One really nice feature is the excellent finish. I have seen service CZ’s with finish badly worn and the pistol is still serviceable. The finish is pretty tough, so I don’t have to baby it or Worry about it.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My upgraded carry gun, I usually carry a S&W Shield, is a CZ P-01. An aluminum frame with rail version of the PCR. All I’ve done to it is change the hammer and recoil spring.

It shoots great. I just need more mags. MecGar makes a 15rd, as opposed to the stick 14, and with a plastic floor plate. The rubber floor plats snag my shirt.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I had a fully Cajanized PCR, it was an outstanding Lille gun. But for me, the decocker placement was an issue, and the hammer bit me every time I pulled the trigger. I even tried a different hammer style, still no joy. My buddy has it now.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That’s a purdy PCR the OP’s got there!

I was bitten by the CZ bug a couple years ago. I started with a CZ-75 Omega Convertible 9mm. I’ve kept it in the decoder configuration. Next came an SP-01 Tactical also in 9mm; heavy but well-balanced for me. Then came my P-01 Omega, which I tend to carry most of the time now supplanting my M11-A1. There will be more CZs in my future...maybe a PCR or a Shadow 2...or a Scorpion!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My PCR is a great member of the herd. Comfortable to carry, easy to conceal, and with the Cajun Custom Defensive Package, it's superbly reliable.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trooper Joe, My pcr has become my carry gun. Are the wood grips thinner than the stock rubber grips? They are nice looking.

I would prefer slightly thinner. I know very thin metal Grips are available, but prefer the look of wood.

The rubber grips feel ok but thinner would be nice.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the wood grips thinner than the stock rubber grips?

Yes, mostly due to being flat-sided with no palm swell.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Trooper Joe, My pcr has become my carry gun. Are the wood grips thinner than the stock rubber grips? They are nice looking.

I would prefer slightly thinner. I know very thin metal Grips are available, but prefer the look of wood.

The rubber grips feel ok but thinner would be nice.

Haven't measured them but they feel great when shooting the gun.. Bought them several years ago from CZ (I think) but it doesn't look like they carry the same thing any more.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 425 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at the range a couple of days ago (haven't shot the PCR for a long time). More accurate than I remember. Am really getting use to the decocking lever (starting to feel just as natural as my Sigs).

Gun fits perfectly in one of my leather snap top holsters originally made for a Sig 229.

Just ordered two MecGar 15 round, flat base, magazines,

Trooper Joe

posted Hide Post
I love mine to death. Probably my favorite pistol to shoot. I bought it here a couple years ago and it's been a comfotable and reliable tack driver ever since.

The p01 is also a cool pistol but I think the rail ruins the beauty of the PCR.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a IB tuck holster designed for a P 2000 HK. Fits very well.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What is amazing about the PCR/P01 is just how tiny it feels with flush mag base plates and thin grips.

Great guns in that Goldilocks size for me.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post