SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 1006 getting harder to find
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 1006 getting harder to find Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
I’ve had several of these in the last 20 years or so, a couple new in the box
Always found something I wanted more and traded them off

Slowly building my 3rd Gen collection back up, this one is nice enough to have the box hiding somewhere, but alas it didn’t come with one

Had to trade a nickel 586 to get this one , neither one of us wanted cash lol!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My example, too, is in the TEV serial number range and has adjustable sights. Coincidentally, it wears Hogue grips, just like yours.

It seems there has been an increasing interest in the 10x25mm over the last few years. A new generation of shooters is discovering it. After all, it's a very interesting pistol cartridge.

Please forgive the pimpalicious background. The pic is from the guy who owned the pistol before me.

Half a pound heavier than the G21 and with half the magazine capacity.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Nice, twins!
If you have somewhat large hands the Hogues are a treat to shoot
I really like the stock grips for looks though, no one has really came out with an “upgrade” in my eyes
Maybe if VZ made some thin G10s for them ?!?!

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Had to trade a nickel 586 to get this one , neither one of us wanted cash lol!

I like the 586, but I think you came out ahead. Cool

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My biggest gun buying regret was not scooping one of those up when I saw it in the case for $350 back around 2004-2005. I don't remember if it was a 1006 or a 1076, but it was $350 and even young, stupid me knew that was a good deal at the time. I was about to buy it when lo and behold, I observed a stainless 6" Taurus Model .44 in the case for the same price.

This stupid kid had to get his .44 Magnum, and left the S&W in the shop. Being a Taurus, it turned out to be a POS (had timing issues) and was outrageously expensive to shoot. I got rid of it not too long after, and I still have never owned a 10mm, or a 3rd gen Smith.

I've since had the opportunity to shoot some, though, and the experience just rubbed salt in the wound. They are sweet shooting guns. A couple of beauties you fellows have got there...thanks for sharing the pics. And while I do like the 586, I'd say you came out ahead on that deal OP!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
ElKabong sold me one of his 1006 pistols many years back. I eventually got out of all 3rd generation S & W guns due to the lack of parts.
I packaged the 1006 and a 5906 up and had my FFL
ship them to a FFL where my Brother lives.
Those two pistols made a nice surprise gift for my Brother! I also had a 52-1 and a 1076 that I sold. I bought several German stainless frame SIG's with the proceeds.
Those 1006's above are nice looking!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had a 1006, do have a 1076 and a 1026.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Never had a 1006, do have a 1076 and a 1026.

I have those two as well funnily enough

1076,1006 and a new in box apparently unfired 1026

I guess 1046,1066 and 1086 are on the want list
1046 is ultra rare !

--Riff Raff--

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Please forgive the pimpalicious background. The pic is from the guy who owned the pistol before me.

Para's over here acting like he doesn't have his very own red velvet robe...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you keep this one. The 3rd gens are less plentiful now, especially in that condition.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Para's over here acting like he doesn't have his very own red velvet robe...

Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
ElKabong,
Very nice example

As it turns out mine is also a TEV, but it came with fixed sights

Like both of yours, mine is also wearing Hogue grips Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin to your's. It's a 1086, the first gun I was issued. This is one I haven't shot in at least 15 years but I'll never sell it.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
El K-
We need to get together and go shoot some spicy 10mm. I just bought the M&P 10mm with 4” barrel.
Would be neat to compare/contrast them.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
El K-
We need to get together and go shoot some spicy 10mm. I just bought the M&P 10mm with 4” barrel.
Would be neat to compare/contrast them.

Sounds good, I have a few toys to shoot
If work ever slows down, lol
I don’t deer hunt much any more, ranges are pretty empty once rifle season starts

Here’s the current 3rd (and 2nd) Gen collection
Like to have all the ones I got rid of over the years
Looking for mint and with box examples mostly now

--Riff Raff--

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 Smith AND 10mm. What’s not to like?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think starting in the early 1980s, S&W used that serial number convention for all their handguns (ABC1234, ABC1235, etc.), pistols and revolvers alike. It makes sense that a relatively low production item like the 1006 would have a batch of pistols clustered together in a given serial range.

I've also got one of the early 4506 pistols with the hooked trigger guard, also an adjustable sight model. Right before switching to Glocks in the early 1990s, I was using this 4506 as my house gun. That pistol is in the TDA serial range.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
This would sure be a thread for 18DAI. I’m sure there are better experts on S&W autos, but I never met one.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
This would sure be a thread for 18DAI. I’m sure there are better experts on S&W autos, but I never met one.

HERE! HERE!

It’s threads like this that I really miss his input. His knowledge on 3rd Gen S&W was always appreciated.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I love the Third Generation Smiths. The police department where I lived as a young person carried them extensively. The lady officers carried 3913 models, the men carried the bigger models. I love the 3913, it's a great carry piece. The decocker is a little fat by modern standards, but overall it's treat to tote.

Regarding the velvet robe, a 3rd Gen smith is the PERFECT piece to go with it, a true classic combo right there. Add a nice Port and a medium gauge stogie and you will have arrived.

Para should send us a picture.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post