SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions of the Surefire XC-1 light?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions of the Surefire XC-1 light? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I admit to having girly hands but are you able to activate with off hand thump with a firing grip? I find with the TLR-7 I need to use my off hand trigger finger even with a fairly thumbs forward grip.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My offhand grip must be different than yours.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Do you use a pretty aggressive downward cant of your support hand? You also probably have bigger/longer thumbs then I.

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to describe it. My support hand is farther forward, I guess.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have fairly normal hands & from looking at the videos and reviews on the TLR-7, I’m pretty sure I’d have the same problem as you CSlinger.

The buttons are often mentioned in several TLR-7 reviews as the big detractor - not that the XC-1 buttons are great, but they are closer to the trigger guard and work well for me.

I considered trying a TLR7, but even at $80 less than a XC1, that $$$ was needed for a holster and I’m sure I’d have the same issue as CSlinger.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Using your offhand trigger really isn’t bad. It didn’t take long for me to adjust to it. All in all I think the TLR-7 comes close to knocking it out of the park.
-single battery
-easy battery change/lockout
-incredible output
-really really tiny. It was smaller then I expected.

Honestly my only complaints are the button location and that was fairly easily overcome for me(although I was curious if Para had some mojo or trick I was missing) and the fact that a short press turns the light on where a slightly longer press is momentary. I would prefer either momentary only or some other method to turn on fully, again not a deal breaker for me but not my perfect option.

All in all the TLR lights have always been pretty fantastic and the TLR-7 appears to continue that legacy.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, I have TLR-6s on my G42/G43, so I'm not anti-TLR, just the button placement seemed to be a reoccuring theme on reviews.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
For those who have them, what's your experience.

I'm considering one for a 320 carry, probably riding in a G-code INCOG, so I'm looking for a small light and most holster manufacturers who make WML holsters seem to do the XC-1.

I've had great experience with several Surefire products over the last 15 or so years, but I saw a lot of bad reviews of this light on Amazon.

What are your experiences?
I'm a Streamlight fan, but if you want to use the G-code INCOG you're limited to the XC-1, as G-Code does not make holsters for the Streamlight competitor to the XC-1 (the TLR-7).

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Im currently using the XC-1 on my G19 and I use the Incog Eclipse and also have a custom XC1 holster by Zorn Holsters.

I'm planning on switching to the TLR-7 sometime and will be getting an AIWB holster made by JM Custom Kydex when I do switch over.

They have the XC1, TLR-7, and TLR-8 in their drop down menu for your SIG 230c.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-LB.html

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XC-1 blows mines going back. I love the size and how it looks but not much for stamina.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my third XC-1 (B-version) yesterday.

Rechargeable batteries make a huge difference from regular alkaline.

Considering that people used to swoon over the 170 Lumen X300, I'm really happy with the 300 that the XC1B puts out in a completely concealable package, you can't tell you are carrying a pistol with a weaponlight on it.

Would love to try a TLR-7 but I despise change for changes sake, and when considering holsters and such it's just not worth it to me, especially considering controls which I see as a detractor from reviews. I'm a creature of habit and my support thumb is for WML activation on pistols.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rechargeable batteries make a huge difference from regular alkaline

As a rule I try t never use alkaline batteries in anything. Lithium or rechargeables only simply because neither will ever leak. (Ok I am sure there are circumstances but as a general rule of thumb they don’t leak).

Try running Lithium aaa in the XC-1 and you will likely see a pretty good increase in run time as well as a tiny bit less weight.

I am with you on brightness. I remember clearly when 60 lumens was a retina melting “combat tactical light”. Now people get 500 lumens and are like.....well light X puts out eleventy billion lumens and that really seems about what I need to clear my 10x10 shed. Smile or my light won’t allow me to blind and engage the target 500 yards away.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am with you on brightness. I remember clearly when 60 lumens was a retina melting “combat tactical light”. Now people get 500 lumens and are like.....well light X puts out eleventy billion lumens and that really seems about what I need to clear my 10x10 shed. Smile or my light won’t allow me to blind and engage the target 500 yards away.

I wonder what is next, now that both Streamlight and Surefire have broken the 1000 lumen barrier in pistol lights...? Maybe the ability to focus it like a laser and burn people??? Wink

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I wonder what is next, now that both Streamlight and Surefire have broken the 1000 lumen barrier in pistol lights...? Maybe the ability to focus it like a laser and burn people??? Wink

As long as it's in the 40-watt range.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Run times have been creeping up. It seems like we alternate between better output and better runtime as things develop. I think reflectors are getting better, too, so smaller is going to keep being a thing.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post