SIGforum
Tell me about a Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9140047434

December 16, 2017, 07:54 PM
Lord Vaalic
Tell me about a Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm
There is someone in my neighborhood selling one for $400. It looks to be in good condition.

What are the forum opinions on this pistol?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
December 16, 2017, 08:10 PM
BuddyChryst
Though SA, Inc will never see any of my money, I did rent one to compare against other strikers.

The grip safety didn't bother me as much as I expected, but I did notice it. The grips themselves are decent. The real thing I disliked was the trigger. Just pure mush. The reset wasn't any better. Some may like that feeling, I prefer a clean, short take-up to a crisp break.

I shot it just fine (see below), but I'd rank it middle/bottom of the striker fired offerings on merit of the firearm alone. Add in it's imported by SA, Inc. and it drops off any list of firearms I will ever own.

This is actually the 3.8" barrel:

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
December 16, 2017, 09:15 PM
feersum dreadnaught
I like mine enough to have it as m6 main IDPA gun for the last 6 years. Changed sights and put in a powder river precision trigger kit. Has 0 failures in ~10,000 rounds...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
December 16, 2017, 09:30 PM
Jus228
Mine is my favorite centerfire pistol that I've ever owned. It just works for me. I shoot it very well. It's my primary house gun. I'm a huge XD fan, I've owned a half dozen examples of different models and calibers and they've all been reliable and good shooters for me.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
December 16, 2017, 11:14 PM
Dusty78
I know that the bi-tone models have been selling new for as low as $350 online. Seems to me like Springfield might be discontinuing them

December 17, 2017, 04:52 AM
Jus228
They are. I got my bi-tone 5.25" for a great deal because of it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
December 17, 2017, 09:18 AM
limblessbiff
I have the 4.5 xdm 9mm and it has been my night stand pistol for 8 years. I hate Springfield now but I do like this gun better than my glock out of the box. Plus 19 round flush fitting mags are nice
December 17, 2017, 09:32 AM
Lord Vaalic
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I know that the bi-tone models have been selling new for as low as $350 online. Seems to me like Springfield might be discontinuing them

Where are they $350? Id snap one up for that

December 17, 2017, 09:34 AM
mr kablammo
I have shot the 'old' 9mm Tactical and was impressed by the accuracy and reliability.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
December 17, 2017, 01:15 PM
JG
I’ve seen 40sw for $350 but not the 9mm. I have a 4.5 with threaded barrel and suppressor sights. I like it trigger is good, I like the grip safety and loaded chamber indicator. $400 is a good price.
December 17, 2017, 02:04 PM
Dusty78
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Where are they $350? Id snap one up for that

Looks like the few I saw as that price expired but here is one for $417

https://www.handgunhaven.com/p...ry-xd-m-706397905286

December 17, 2017, 02:20 PM
Lord Vaalic
Thanks!

December 19, 2017, 06:48 AM
soggy_spinout
Cheap XD/XDm prices doesn't surprise me. It's taken a while, but it does seem like quite a few shops around here are reluctant to carry as much SA product as they once did. As I said in the past, I certainly don't push the stuff, nor will I order it in.

That said, I will say that I never had any real problems with my old XDm 4.5 in 45AUTO. I didn't really bond with the gun, which is why I sold it a few years back: mushy trigger with no defined break point, silly, blocky grip texture that was completely ineffective, sights that were damn near impossible to push out by hand, a grip safety that...well...'tickles', and a grip angle not particularly friendly to my Glock-infused bones and muscles. Yet it still shot very well for me, and quite easily was it to do so with. However when I finally bought a G21 and put my universe once again back in alignment Wink, the XDm became quite expendable. So it went and even without Springfield's political shenanigans I won't ever miss it.
December 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
MeatMan
It is my wife's bedside gun for 4 years. She shoots it quite well. Points easy for her and shoots soft. I like that she has 20 rounds at her disposal when i am not home. It has been 100% reliable with ball and SD ammo. I shoot it OK but the trigger is in the bottom half of the striker fired triggers I have experienced.