SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions about 1911’s, optics ready, and 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about 1911’s, optics ready, and 9mm Login/Join 
posted
Ok. I see some threads about 9mm 1911’s so I’m curious about some things. Are there any affordable ($1,000 or less) optic ready 9mm 1911’s out there that are reliable?

Or in this price range you will have to get it milled yourself for optics.

I have held, played with, and shot Marshal SOG issued full sized and compact sized Sticattos along w/ a buddy’s Sticatto. I have no illusions about in the above stated price range that I am going to get anything like that. Just a decent no major issue having 9mm 1911 preferably w/ the optics cut from the factory range toy and fun gun.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1000 is a tough price point for a pre-milled gun. I cannot think of anything that I would buy at that price. You run into two issues: a $1000 1911 is only in the territory of "okay quality mass produced gun full of MIM parts" and there is not much of a milled slide market in mass produced guns anyway.

I would find a 1911 that I like and have somebody experienced in milling them do the work. Impact Machine, Vulcan Machine, Monsoon Tactical, and C&H Precision all come to mind. Generally the 1911 slide width creates issues with direct mounting an RMR footprint optic (due to screw spacing), but does allow direct mounting RMSc/507K, RMRcc, 509T, and Acro footprint stuff. The 1911 slide can be milled VERY deep, which can come out pretty nice. If you're set on an RMR footprint optic, there are several plate type adapters out there with the Trijicon one probably being the most common. The Chambers Custom RDSM is also a solid plate system with variants available for several common optics.

Also speaking in generalities, most machine shops will mill a 1 degree angle toward the muzzle to align the optic with the bore. Most shops offering 1911 slide milling are experienced in it and understand this. If you somehow run into a shop that does not do this, there is a cheap delrin shim plate available for about $12 to correct for this.

I have seen that Dan Wesson is doing optic cut versions of some of their guns now. This will really stretch your price range, but Dan Wesson makes solid production guns with quality tool steel parts.

For what it's worth, I've got a couple 2011s with the Chambers RDSM, a Dan Wesson that Monsoon direct milled for a Holosun 507K (now an EPS on it), and have a couple buddies who have used Vulcan so I have a little experience.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Ok. I see some threads about 9mm 1911’s so I’m curious about some things. Are there any affordable ($1,000 or less) optic ready 9mm 1911’s out there that are reliable?

Or in this price range you will have to get it milled yourself for optics.

I have held, played with, and shot Marshal SOG issued full sized and compact sized Sticattos along w/ a buddy’s Sticatto. I have no illusions about in the above stated price range that I am going to get anything like that. Just a decent no major issue having 9mm 1911 preferably w/ the optics cut from the factory range toy and fun gun.

Thanks!!!

No

You’re not going to get a nice 1911 in 9mm with those features for that price. 1911’s in that price range are built with mostly cheap MIM parts. Some have features just to hit the hot buttons, but generally no optics cuts.

Maybe something built in Turkey does, but I don’t even count them as bonafide handguns, especially in the 1911 world. I know their quality is decent, but they’re just not for me.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
fuzz, you might look again at the Springfield Prodigy, I have seen CDNN and ArmsUnlimited run good prices on them. Not $999 but they were getting closer.

A buddy has one and loves it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Best option at that price point would be a decent ~$900 1911 (like a Springfield Ronin) that you then send off to be milled for ~$100, and come out just under $1k.

Otherwise, if it has to be a factory optic cut 1911 for under $1k, EAA/Girsan offers some cheap Turkish 1911s (~$700) with optic mounts and a crappy Chinese red dot. While the factory red dots are trash, I have no idea about the quality of the 1911s themselves. Could be fine for just a range toy.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
fuzz, you might look again at the Springfield Prodigy

I am six Steel Challenge matches in with my Springfield 2011 DS Prodigy, about 1k rounds. No issues thus far. While it does have some room for improvements/upgrades (slide stop, grip safety), it is a solid handgun in the $12-1300 range.
Red dot will be added soon, and the slide is already cut for it.
I’m liking the Prodigy the more I shoot it.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Ronin or the Prodigy may be what is needed.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If you're ready to spend more for a quality 1911 9mm with an optic look at the Ed Brown EVO. Very accurate and performs flawlessly. Bonus it's thing for concealed carry.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
If you're ready to spend more for a quality 1911 9mm with an optic look at the Ed Brown EVO. Very accurate and performs flawlessly. Bonus it's thing for concealed carry.

Rog.

posted Hide Post
If you shop around some (to include contacting your friendly SF gun dealers, you could probably pick up a Prodigy for around $1220.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger. Thanks.