SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P-series MIM parts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-series MIM parts? Login/Join 
posted
I'll start by saying MIM doesn't necessarily bother me. I'm just curious. Do we know which OEM parts of the p-series pistols, if any, are MIM? Any knowledge of whether this has changed over the years?

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 465 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Need visual inspection. The two most obvious parts externally that you can tell right away if they are MIM are the hammer and the trigger. A line running right down the middle of the hammer indicates MIM. Hollowed back trigger, except the original P225 one, indicates MIM. The short reach trigger is MIM.

Q

Posts: 26764 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen on my newest SIG (an M11-A1 with a 2023 build date), the trigger, locking insert, takedown lever, hammer, and sear are all MIM. However, they don't have the faint mold line running down the middle anymore. Instead they have a little circular mark (likely where the part was broken off of its stem in the mold frame), which often isn't visible until the part is removed from the gun. Older MIM parts will have the line running down the middle though.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 379 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Most (all?) current P-22x SIGs have a MIM take-down lever. With a faux rivet head for that olde tyme look. Smile

And the MIM part is better than the original two-piece steel take-down lever. The pieces sometimes loosened, letting the thumb tab drag on the frame, scratching it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9122 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen some 3D printed 1911 parts at a "tech day" for a company that, among many other things, supplies 3D printing powders and resins. I'm going to venture a guess that 3D printing of small gun parts will replace MIM eventually.

Posts: 4769 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post