SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SwampFox Sentinel vs Holosun 507k for a Glock 43x
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SwampFox Sentinel vs Holosun 507k for a Glock 43x Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Thought I would check the hive wisdom here. I have a new Glock 43X MOS and have been trying to decide between these two red dots. I've never used a red dot on a pistol before so I have nothing for comparison. Online reviews I've watched and read seem to indicate that both are excellent, although it seems the Holosun seems to be the one chosen most often. I'm leaning towards the Sentinel because it doesn't require a plate to mount, whereas the Holosun requires a $50 plate or a permanent filing down of of the post on the Glock's milled area.

Any experience or wisdom to share?

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why Glock made the MOS style/design mount area the way they did. With that said, I don't know much about the Swampfox but do have experience with the Holosun brand and I like them a lot. The Holosun has a few benefits that others don't have like it has a side door for battery replacement which is a big deal when you are trying to sight in your rds and it has a good seal to eliminate any fluids getting into the unit. You have the option for x3 types of sight options-dot, circle and circle/dot. The windage and elevation screw adjustments are pretty solid and click/lock audibly, which can prevent any changes compared to the Swampfox. Lastly, they have a great overall reputation for durability.

The downside is, as you know, you need another plate in order for it to fit which can throw off your iron sight co-witness,which I prefer. I have seen a few people file down the rear pins on the slide, so the Holosun will fit without the adapter plate. You just have to figure out what is best for you.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Isn't this more an issue with Glock than Holosun (although on some non-Glock guns Holosun can be the problem.) On the P365 optics ready versions, Holosun K series optics bold on with now plate. With MOS, the vast majority of optics need plates.

Slimline optics ready guns seem to be standardizing on the RMSc/JPoint footprint. Glock won't play. Holosun sorta plays. They're a little bit off standard. Some guns are using their substandard (see SIG as mentioned above.)

quote:

<Snip>

The downside is, as you know, you need another plate in order for it to fit which can throw off your iron sight co-witness,which I prefer. I have seen a few people file down the rear pins on the slide, so the Holosun will fit without the adapter plate. You just have to figure out what is best for you.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've owned both. Overall, I prefer the Holosun, but I also prefer direct mount to MOS & similar plate mounting systems.

If you get the Sentinel, get the version w/ manual brightness adjustment. I'm not a fan of auto-brightness adjustment, b/c if you're in the shade aiming at something off the distance in the bright sun, the brightness sensor will adjust to the shade making the red dot difficult if not impossible to see.

At $150 or less, the Sentinel is a good value. More than that, I'd go w/ a Holosun.

As patw posted, the 507K has three reticle options. If those aren't important to you, go w/ the 407K; it's the same optic but only 6 MOA red dot. I'm guessing they're not, otherwise why would you be considering the Sentinel? Also, if you prefer green to red, green costs about $30 more in Holosuns.

407K costs $50-60 less than 507K. If you know where to look, you can find the 407K for a little below $200. SF member 'DaBigBR' is one of those sellers who can cut you a below MAP deal.

Since this is your first RDS, if I were in your shoes, I'd go w/ the more budget-friendly option and one that doesn't require permanent alteration of your gun. You may decide altogether to stick to iron sights. If you like RDS and want to try different models, MOS is great for that. If you end up liking a particular brand or series of RDS, then you can get your gun milled for direct mount (e.g., Holosun K series footprint).

It's worth mentioning that Holosun has an SCS series that's designed for direct mount to Glock MOS guns. They currently only have green-dot models for full size MOS guns, but I bet within 12 months, they'll have models for narrow frame MOS Glocks too.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sprung for a Holosun 507k purchased from the bigBR here on the forum for my 48 MOS. Great red dot. Yeah, you have to spring for a very thin plate but, it is a solid set up. As others have said. Holosuns are tough, have that easy Sid loading battery, solid clicks for elevation and windage, and the red dot w: the circle around it makes life easy. Just my opinion.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Thanks. for the input. I went with a Holosun thanks to DaBigBR's great pricing. I haven't found anything negative about the Sentinel, but the Holosun seems to have the edge according to all the info I could gather.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Thanks. for the input. I went with a Holosun thanks to DaBigBR's great pricing. I haven't found anything negative about the Sentinel, but the Holosun seems to have the edge according to all the info I could gather.

What do you plan on using for a mounting plate? I used a C&H Precision. Great made piece of equipment.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

What do you plan on using for a mounting plate? I used a C&H Precision. Great made piece of equipment.

Already on its way.