SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RMR and astigmatism
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMR and astigmatism Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I know there has been many great post of RMR/RDS on pistols but I missed if shooters with astigmatism were mentioned.

I am slowly replacing all my RDS with either LPVO or Prism scopes as the starburst has gotten so bad I have issues with zeroing at 50M with my RDS.

Anyway, has anyone with astigmatism used a pistol mounted RMR? Does it work for you or is it the same as a RDS?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
It’s no joy for me. I wish someone would make a prism type handgun optic for those of us with this issue.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have corrective glasses specifically made for shooting partly to correct my astigmatism. When I wear them, my right eye the dot is nearly perfect, my left (dominant eye) is adequate for precision shooting with an RMR. Without the glasses, my red dot becomes a red blob and still very capable of landing in the 4” A zone out to 15 yards at speed. It may not be perfectly centered but they are still great hits. I have both a 3.25 dot and a 6.5 dot RMR. I am leaning toward the 3.25 dot as being my favorite, however, I also like the gun it is on slightly better (g34 vs g17).

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I wish someone would make a prism type handgun optic for those of us with this issue.

The limited eye relief of prismatic optics is the limiting factor.

Unfortunately, if your astigmatism causes issues with a rifle red dot, you'll have the same with pistol red dots. The underlying dot projection method is the same.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Will optics manufacturers ever figure out a way to eliminate the problem that occurs with the reticle for people with limited astigmatism?

For years when people complained about fuzzy reticles in reflex sights I thought, “Man, I’m glad I don’t have that problem.” And then I started using my Aimpoints CompML sights for semi-precision shooting and had to admit I had some astigmatism. And when I got an ACRO and then went back and looked at my old Docter that had been lying in a drawer for years, it was, “Wow! I thought my right eye vision was about perfect.”

If the fix were possible, I believe it would be a huge selling point for countless shooters.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue. I've switched to Prism optics where possible. The only red dot I have left is my 320RX and I'm thinking of taking it off the pistol.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I found that bigger dots are better for me.
The Romeo0 was a fail for me, I suspect the plastic lens made it even worse.
My Romeo1 is usable for me with the 3 MOA dot.
Still fuzzy but usable.

I had a Romeo5 and Juliet4 but didn't like that set up and went with LPVO on my rifles.

I put an AR9 together and picked up a Romeo5 Predator to see if the triangle was better.
The green dot is much better than the red and the triangle shows up well too so I'm pretty happy with that.

I want to try a MRDS in green and see if that works better for those too or if it's just a Fluke.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dewhorse, laser surgery can correct astigmatism. No sense having to deal with it. Quick and easy.

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HODY905:
dewhorse, laser surgery can correct astigmatism. No sense having to deal with it. Quick and easy.

That's what I had done last month. Turned a star shaped red blob into a almost perfect circle.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a really strong astigmatism until I had my cataracts fixed. I have all RMR's and found the adjustable models running one or two clicks down from the auto adjust setting gave me a pretty clear dot. I prefer the 3.25 moa size so if it blooms a little the dot is still not to large.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

My astigmatism is eliminated when I wear scleral contact lenses. My astigmatism still exists when I'm not wearing the scleral contacts.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
The 32 MOA halo was the answer for me.

Circle/dot?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
The 32 MOA halo was the answer for me.

Circle/dot?

Circle.

https://www.police1.com/police...at-ThsjrwzFWvqze6Sp/

Holosun paid for the article, so before someone says something stupid, I turn more of these down than I accept. I only write the sponsored content articles I want to and I believe in Holosun's 507 and 508. I understand the hesitation involved with this brand, since it's a Chinese company. I really do, but these optics make people safer at a much lower cost.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Circle/dot?

Circle.

Like this:

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is that halo a selection in a Holosun optic with multiple reticles?

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. Some of the Holosuns offer multiple reticles, with you being able to cycle through 2 MOA dot, 32 MOA circle or circle/dot combo.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhh, ok, I was getting frustrated trying to find it on Holosun or retailer websites.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
You're probably all already aware of this, but looking at the dot inside does not give you the same experience as looking at the target, especially outside.

I thought all was lost with red dots, as everything I looked through was some level of smear/burst, and even worse with my weak eye that gets clusters of grapes/multiple dots. Corrective lenses has helped, but so has actually taking the sight outside and using it properly.

Just something to keep in mind if you're going to a gun store and looking through different optics. I try and look through a bright window and spot something outside to get a better feel of how it will look with a target focus outdoor. Yes, indoor it's still a smear, but I'm not trying to use the edge of the reticle to make hits at indoor/short distances, so it doesn't matter that much to me if it has a little comet tail or is a little oblong when using it in those situations. But at 25 yards+, everything is much more dot-like with a target focus and daylight conditions.

There was a triangle reticle on a pistol dot I looked through and really liked how sharp it was just looking at indoor, but I can't remember if it was an RMR, a DeltaPointPro, or something else.

Posts: 6032 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's also a difference between looking at (focusing on) the dot, and looking at a target with the dot interposed.

I have a slight astigmatism that is noticeable when staring at a red dot, but not noticeable when staring at a target through a red dot.

It's comma-shaped when I focus on the dot, but perfectly round when I focus on the target.