SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shops that can make custom revolver cylinders?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shops that can make custom revolver cylinders? Login/Join 
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted
Long story short, I'm working on a custom Colt Python project that requires the use of a non-fluted cylinder, which as I understand is pretty much unobtanium.

So the question is, is there any shop out there with the capability to fabricate custom cylinders? I imagine this requires some know-how as far as steel grade and heat treatment goes so I don't want to just use a random shop for something like this. I'm aware that this won't be a cheap expenditure.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Bowen Classic Arms
http://bowenclassicarms.com/

Thanks, I did reach out to them but doesn't look like they do Colt cylinders. Frown

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Bowen Classic Arms
http://bowenclassicarms.com/

Thanks, I did reach out to them but doesn't look like they do Colt cylinders. Frown

It might be worth an email. They will likely need the gun to time the cylinder

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They've done a colt for me. And several SW.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm curious why un-fluted? Unless it's just a cosmetic choice. Unless you increase the diameter, un-fluted won't really add any strength.

(With the offset notches on the python, I don't thing a 5 shot conversion in an option/answer either.)

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of an aftermarket Python cylinder. Smith, Ruger, SAA, yes, Python or other DA Colt, no.

I recall some commemorative Pythons with unfluted cylinders, you could cut one of those up, assuming this is a cost no object project.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I can't help you but I'd love to hear more about this...

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know Alan Harton works on Colts, but I don't know about double actions.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
'm curious why un-fluted? Unless it's just a cosmetic choice. Unless you increase the diameter, un-fluted won't really add any strength.

Short thread drift... I prefer an unfluted cylinder. It's purely aesthetic. I just like the look & it adds a smidgen of weight.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
I can't help you but I'd love to hear more about this...

Me too!

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
What about the Custom Shop inc.? I have seen some beautiful examples of refinishing that they have done, and they also repair Colts. Maybe call them up and ask? 406-375-5126
Colt sends repair issues to them. Not sure if they fabricate, but can’t hurt to ask.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Exactly. And if they can't fabricate, they will probably be able to steer you to someone who does.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post