SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    walther ppk/s old german vs new ppks question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

walther ppk/s old german vs new ppks question. Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
My wife has a ppk/s that in 22 lr that she loves to shoot and now my daughter wants one, I looked around on gun broker and found a few in the 800 dollar range but came across a new one for 429.00 current model. is there much of a difference that my daughter wouldn't notice? she just wants one and I'm sure she could care less about it being old and German. I need to get her something before this stupid oregon gun bill goes into effect and she has to go thru the hassle. both don't care to shoot a 3.80 or 9mm of anything. but give them .22 and they have fun. looked at the Rugar lc and they like the heavy metal of the Walther.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I would have to watch all the videos on reliability to know without first hand knowledge. I like my Bersa 22 and it works well but mags are pricey. Good hunting.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
PPKs have been manufactured in several instances.

I do believe the newest are made in Arkansas and not by Smith and Wesson.

I see the older .22 cal for sale all the time reasonable. American Interarms are just fine, German Interarms even better, non-import are expensive.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The current Walther PPK/s .22 LR models feature a zinc alloy slide.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
get the older model,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about the 22 specifically but the quality of newer 380s hasn’t been the best. If you can’t find an older one look for a beretta 87. Or a Ruger mk4 lite is a great gun. Or if she wants something smaller the beretta 21a is pretty good.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger LCP II in .22lr is an excellent option. I have 3 of them and they’ve been 100% perfect.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, Walther’s extensive use of zinc-based alloy (also known as zamak) in the slide and frame of the gun. While most of Walther’s full-sized rimfire pistols feature aluminum slides, the compact P22 uses a zamak slide much like the current PPK/S. Earlier versions of the P22 earned a reputation for being unreliable and prone to breakage, with cracked slides being one of the most common major failures. Because of this, zamak has a fairly dubious reputation among shooters.

The PPK/S offers a much thicker slide than the P22, especially around the muzzle and ejection port (weak spots in the older P22 pistols), so breakage seems unlikely. Zamak is significantly heavier than aluminum, meaning the PPK/S .22 feels much more like its centerfire siblings than many other rimfire replicas. A final point is that while the old .22 LR PPs and PPKs used steel slides and frames, Walther substantially reduced the thickness of the slide for reliable operation with common ammunition. As such, older .22 versions have visibly lightened slides forward of the serrations. The new model’s lighter zamak material allows a more traditional, centerfire-like slide profile.

One important detail to note is that the new production PPK/S does not share magazine compatibility with past rimfire versions of the pistol. If you own an old PP or PPK .22 and hoped the new model would bring extra magazines to market, the new magazines will not work. On a more positive note, the old magazines featured a noticeably less aggressive feed angle and were prone to jamming. Walther’s new design seems to be much more reliable than past takes on the PPK in .22 LR.

One of the drawbacks of the new PPK/S .22 is its barrel. Rather than opting for a traditional one piece unit, Walther used the same two piece design that is common in many of its .22 LR firearms. Not unlike an airsoft gun, the PPK/S features a thin inner barrel with rifling that functions much like any other. However, rather than provisioning additional thickness to the inner barrel in order to fit the pistol’s slide, Walther simply added an outer sleeve to the part.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if she wants a PPK/S let her have it. But I would show her a PPQ-22 (NOT P22Q) and SIG P322 first.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Go find a PP in .22LR

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
The current PPK/S .22 is Made by Walther's parent company Umarex in Arnsberg. It is not a "true" Walther. Those are made in the Walther factory in Ulm.

Posts: 612 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Check the DA trigger pull before buying one. The ones I looked at had an unusable double action pull-felt like 15 lbs.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Check the DA trigger pull before buying one. The ones I looked at had an unusable double action pull-felt like 15 lbs.

Absolutely agree here. I have a PPK/S in .380, purchased new in 2000 that has a DA trigger pull in the 20+ lb range. I actually strained muscles/tendons/fat in my trigger finger the first time I tried DA in dry fire practice. Took a week for my finger to recover.

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:
The current PPK/S .22 is Made by Walther's parent company Umarex in Arnsberg. It is not a "true" Walther. Those are made in the Walther factory in Ulm.

80% or more of all postwar PPKs were manufactured in France at Manurhin. The last series was made by FÉG in Hungary. I don't think it would occur to anyone to call a post-war PPK not a correct Walther.

This question would also apply to the Luger pistols. Are Luger pistols made by Mauser, Simson, W+F Bern or Vickers "true" Lugers?

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Also before you buy, look at the sights. My S&W made PPK/s in 9mm Kurtz is in stainless. The sights are really hard to use. But the beavertail S&W added, and the new Walthers use is a great upgrade.

But my other Walther is also made by someone other than Walther. My Grandfather's CYQ P-38 was made by Spreewerk in 1944. Funny thing is this guns sights are very usable.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:

80% or more of all postwar PPKs were manufactured in France at Manurhin. The last series was made by FÉG in Hungary. I don't think it would occur to anyone to call a post-war PPK not a correct Walther.

This question would also apply to the Luger pistols. Are Luger pistols made by Mauser, Simson, W+F Bern or Vickers "true" Lugers?

While the Hungarian FEG PA-63 may resemble the PP/PPK, it is not a bona fide copy of the original. Similarly, the current Walther PPK .22 LR models represent a departure from the original design. Current PPK centerfire models however remain faithful to the original pattern and may correctly be referred to as "true" Walther pistols. Years ago, Erma marketed a .22 LR pistol modeled after the iconic P.08 Luger. It would be a stretch to refer to this pistol as a "true" Luger.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
quote:

While the Hungarian FEG PA-63 may resemble the PP/PPK, it is not a bona fide copy of the original. Similarly, the current Walther PPK .22 LR models represent a departure from the original design. Current PPK centerfire models however remain faithful to the original pattern and may correctly be referred to as "true" Walther pistols. Years ago, Erma marketed a .22 LR pistol modeled after the iconic P.08 Luger. It would be a stretch to refer to this pistol as a "true" Luger.

I am not referencing the FÉG Model 63, but the PPK/E. The PPK/ was manufactured by FÉG for Walther and marketed as the Walther PPK/E in Europe. However, it is not an exact copy, because functional elements of the trigger system were taken from the FEG pistol. In the literature, it is treated as a variant of the PPK despite the differences from the original. If you add this variant to the variety that were made for Walther at Walterer in Zella Mehlis, Ulm, at Manurin in France, then it becomes very difficult to determine a "true" Walther from it.

you are of course right with the ERMA or the Stoeger. The issue with the Luger is simply another comparison. It can also be easily extended to the Swiss P210 without going into the German or American variant.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

80% or more of all postwar PPKs were manufactured in France at Manurhin.

A Manhurin will be stamped as such. Interarms did import them, however If it's made in Germany, it will be stamped as such with the proper proofhouse marks.

The non-Walther Interarms guns were made by Ranger Arms in Alabama. These were licensed from 1978-1999 and they are stamped Interarms, Made In USA.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OTD is correct. Most of the postwar Walther-marked PP-series pistols were assembled by Manurhin.

Posts: 107550 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ah, many of the made in Germany guns were parts sourced in France with German forgings.

Like some Swiss watches with sourced parts made to spec.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!