SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done) Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I could go for some grip panels that remind me where I'm supposed to grip. Wink

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ll sign up for one of the “Commanders”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My advice is to wait and see if these dhortened HPs function correctly. I recall Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide offering a chopped High Power he dubbed the "Pathfinder" and if I recall correctly, the recoil spring had to be changed out every few hundred rounds. That tells you a lot.

Posts: 107237 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My advice is to wait and see if these dhortened HPs function correctly. I recall Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide offering a chopped High Power he dubbed the "Pathfinder" and if I recall correctly, the recoil spring had to be changed out every few hundred rounds. That tells you a lot.

My "chopped" Hi-Power (FM M90 Detective) functioned reliably with its dual (one inside the other) recoil spring system. Before BHSS made available spring sets in the face of zero availability from the factory in Argentina, CZ75 Compact single springs (Wolff #53917 17 lb) were successfully used (but be aware that there have been some reports of changes in the specs of these in recent years). They do exhibit a reduced life compared to the dual spring sets (BHSS improved set lasting much longer (claimed tested to >10,000 rounds but best practice recommended replacement every 5,000 rounds) than the OEM ones which were rumored to be said by the factory to be good for a minimum of 2500 rounds).

My point here is that a chopped Hi-Power can be functionally reliable with comparable recoil spring service life to the full sized version.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something I have wondered about (and Girsan has continued it) is the small oval area on the BHP frame above the trigger. What is that?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15995 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Something I have wondered about (and Girsan has continued it) is the small oval area on the BHP frame above the trigger. What is that?

Honestly never thought about it. It is present on both my FN MKIII and FM M90 Detective.

Went and looked at my firearms disassembly-assembly books and none specifically identified this.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Isn’t that the surface that cams the barrel down?
The compact model would be interesting with a TLR7sub rail, and compact red dot. Aluminum frame would be the cherry on top. I’m shocked that Sig USA didn’t make railed versions of their P210. Perhaps it’s because I have a few Hi Powers already, but a straight clone doesn’t interest me.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Minor whine: I can do without the "you could shoot yourself if you dont read the manual" billboard on the frame. Roll Eyes

There's only so much you can do before lawyers start barging in.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Minor whine: I can do without the "you could shoot yourself if you dont read the manual" billboard on the frame. Roll Eyes

There's only so much you can do before lawyers start barging in.

Yeah but many companies don't bow to this crap. Dan Wesson is a good example.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Or you could do it like Ruger or HK. Make it very unobtrusive. Ruger does tiny font under the barrel and HK its on the underside of the trigger guard. Refer to owners manual or something short. Beretta loves to tell me to read the manual, retract slide to see if loaded, and that it will fire without a magazine. its ridiculous.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
And don't forget that Girsan isn't importing these themselves. The importer is EAA, and at that point, you're stuck with doing what you're told.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, I was at the Gun Show today and lo and behold, look what I found:

One of the dealers had it on the table and they weren't charging over sticker price like a lot of the ads on Gunbroker. I also nabbed three more MecGar 15 round magazines and made out around $800.

After I got it home and get all the zip ties cut off, this gun is very well fit. There's no slide to frame play and the barrel lockup is solid enough I had issues taking the barrel out so I could clean and lube it.

The gun doesn't have a magazine disconnect and all of the magazines I bought for it drop free. I love the extended slide release which is similar to the RDIH (sp?) that also provides a nice place for your support thumb further out on the grip. The trigger is a little gritty and heavy. I'd guess it's about 5.5# with some take-up, but it has a very defined wall. The reset isn't anything special, but like a good 2 stage trigger, it's easy to get back to firing. I've heard in other reviews of the gun that the trigger gets better at the 350 round mark, so I'll be looking forward to that.

The grip feels absolutely amazing. That beavertail helps lock the gun to your hand without any possibility of hammer bite. The ambi safety flared at the right place to make putting the gun on safe easy and using it with your thumb to add extra support when shooting. It's not 1911 clicky, but from what I've read, none of the Hi Power safeties were like that. The G10 grips are both thin and very grippy in the right places. A downside I had with this gun I had before I got my hands on it is I wish there was some kind of front strap checkering. Honestly, this gun doesn't need it. The X5-ish undercut on the front strap along with the flare at the bottom of the grip locks your hand in place.

My first impression is I'm very impressed, especially at $700. This gun is fit better than Kimber or Springfield 1911s at $1500. Girsan seems to be one of the Turkish gunmakers that does it right instead of just cheap. Range report coming Monday.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some traction/skateboard tape would help the front strap. I wonder if Mecgar will restart production of the P35 20 round magazines.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the cross lug that is installed through the frame. The barrel camming ramp/stop surface is machined into the center section. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn’t, depending on finish of the gun. Parkerize ing hides it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the oval!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15995 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I picked one up & I’d buy another. Shoots on par with my Mk III’s..

That surprises me!
I honestly thought they'd be jam-o-matics. I'm going to have to give them a more serious look.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Wasn't able to get out today to the range. I'll probably make it out when I go on vacation starting Thursday.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
How is the trigger? These still have have the mag disconnect correct?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Match and the Ops have it removed while the standard one keep it since they’re going for clone correct.

The Ops that I have is about a 5# trigger with a well defined wall, but the reset is not short. It’s very much like a 2 stage trigger.

posted Hide Post
That shortened "PI" shortened version would interest me provided there isn't an issue with the potential problems already mentioned in this thread.
I'd like to think that if Colt managed to make a Commander version out of the full size 1911, there should be no problem here. But a 1911 isn't a High Power and I'm not a gunsmith.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post