SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Super Wrangler…I’m a little excited...Updated with Range Report...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Super Wrangler…I’m a little excited...Updated with Range Report... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Ok so since I retired I’ve started to get into .22’s. I know they’re not the sect Staccatos or anything but I just really enjoy shooting them…

I’ve always wanted a Ruger Single Six, but they are near impossible to find here and they are prohibitively expensive.

Ruger just launched the Super Wrangler, a .22LR and .22 WMR version of their Wrangler. And it’s affordable. I know what my next new toy is…

https://youtu.be/mRWTTy6fqBc

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcjwriter,

Posts: 1966 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I'm a big rimfire ho too. May have to check one out as well. Cool

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the 5.5 in barrel one in Silver finish , looks good shoots good , had a nice older leather belt and holster for it .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I just picked up the 5.5 in barrel one in Silver finish , looks good shoots good , had a nice older leather belt and holster for it .

Any pics of your setup would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 1966 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Ran into the local sports superstore and they had one left on sale…it WAS the last one…now my 10-day wait begins!!! Pics and range report will follow.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There are several on GB at the moment and the price is definitely right for anyone wanting a convertible .22/.22 mag but balk at the price the Single Six commands. This is a stroke of genius by Ruger and a boon for people seeking a sub-$300 fun gun.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So I took her out for a couple of outings...the Super Wrangler did not disappoint...

Steel at 25 yards was no problem, with both .22 LR and .22 WMR. At 25 yards it was absolutely accurate enough...off hand I was making 5" groups...not perfect but not terrible. I painted the front sight to make it stand out a little better. It was actually kind of nice to slow down and do the old fashioned loading/unloading through the gate. I did find that once you load up, you need to rotate the cylinder until it indexes...otherwise you have a dead trigger...

The .22 Mag definitely has more boom, but not a ton more kick...

22 LR...

22 WMR

Changing out the cylinders was easy. The .22 mag cylinder is marked well enough you won't mistake it. The only knock I could give it is the hammer is pretty heavily sprung. It's also MIM I suspect.

Overall, this was a great purchase...if you want a single action Ruger rimfire, and don't want to pay the big $$$ for a Single Six...I 100% recommend the Super Wrangler.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The first time I ever shot .22Mag from a pistol was from a Single Six and in my minds eye I expected a tad more recoil then .22LR. I was shocked at the boom and power difference. Like you said not a ton more recoil but whole lot more blast.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the Ruger Convertible for a few years now, and just haven't gotten around to getting one. Now these come out...
Much lower price, but still the same quality. I'm just a little leary about the ceracoat on the gun. But for a few hundred, meh... no big deal for me. If it wears off, it goes to CCR.

After hearing your pretty positive range report, I think I'm sold on the Wrangler.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are going to cost me money. A little bit. I have a Taylor & Co Uberti 22. 4 clicks, no safety, pretty cool repro. I love it. Can’t hit shit with it because I have never gotten good with those sights. It came with a wax paper wrapped 22WMR cylinder and now I want to try it. No good reason why but you guys have got me interested.

I always wanted a single six. The Super Wrangler seems like a smart upgrade to the Wrangler if I can’t find thee Single Six.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post