SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Customizing a 1911 - Wilson, Nighthawk, or other?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customizing a 1911 - Wilson, Nighthawk, or other? Login/Join 
posted
I have a stock Colt Series 70 that I'd like some work done (trigger, sights, etc.) and am looking for recommendations as to where to send it.

I like the options Wilson has not only for their packages but also their a la carte services. Nighthawk is right there also and because both are within an hour's drive I'm leaning towards them. Any thoughts on using one over the other? Is it a case of six of one...?

Or is there somebody else out there that should be considered first and above all others?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jason in Arizona, can not remember his last name but does excellent work and will maintain the original look and design. Someone else will respond with the contact.

Posts: 19 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: July 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Possibly Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision?

https://www.heirloomprecision.com/q-a/

He’s arguably one of the best of the best, and appears to not be accepting new work at this time but does maintain a waiting list.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no rush on my part to make this happen. Just gathering information at the moment.

I've signed up for Jason's newsletter.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Good deal - as you may have seen, his work looks amazing.

I’d also mention Karl Beining / KGB Customs. I’ve done more “retail” business, if you will, with him in terms of buying items he’s advertised online that he may have tweaked a bit. I’ve seen, however, that guns he’s fully customized are very, very nice-looking.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've seen really nice works from Alchemy Customs as well.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last custom 1911 work was done by Don Williams of The Action Works.
Great job and good pricing, too.
Cylinder & Slide does good work too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Nighthawk update my Series 70. Smoked nitrite finish and swapped out the key components. They were selling modified a Nighthawk Custom Colt Series 70 and instead of just buying that one, I had them do the work to my pistol. Saved a couple of bucks and am very happy with the results. Bob Reeves is a great guy to work with.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My last custom 1911 work was done by Don Williams of The Action Works.
Great job and good pricing, too.

I spoke to Don around three weeks ago about sending in a Hi-Power that I just picked up. He didn’t state that the books are closed, but, (in my opinion) seemed reluctant to take on new work at this time.

I’ve had the pleasure of working with him on two previous builds and left it that I’ll follow up in six months or so to see where the wait list stands.

I currently have a Colt .38 Super build being done by Derr Precision.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted Yost used to be the man to go to, at Heirloom. He left there a few years ago, I believe.

He's considered one of the best, if not the best. His work brings top dollar.

I only had one occasion to stop in at Heirloom, and frankly, he was kind of a dick.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll offer this bit of advice. Consider what your end goal is. Do you want to customize this 1911 and keep it forever, or do you want a custom 1911? I've customized several 1911's and they can become money pits, which never return anything close to their full value when you decide to move them. If you just want a really nice 1911, look at the various custom makers and buy one that matches your wants.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All these big name centerfold gunsmiths are busy with large jobs and will not get around to you until the twelfth of never.

Ask on some of the real 1911 boards and maybe you can find somebody less famous doing good work.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with Nighthawk Custom pistols. Whenever I'd had even a minor issue, they took my concerns seriously and remedied the problem. I have a 1970's era Series 70 Colt Combat Commander that I'm considering sending to them for customization work. Wilson Combat does good work too, but they've been involved in some business practices that turn me off.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I have READ, Nighthawk seems a good choice to work on another brand than their own.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Clark Custom Guns in LA.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gone the custom route and dont want to dissuade anyone from building or buying a high end, high dollar 1911. But more often than not, when I carry a 1911, its my Ruger SR1911. Only custom work done to it was to send the slide off to Novak for better sights. It has all the features I want in a 1911 for around 700 bucks. Accurate. Good trigger. Reliably functions with all kinds of ammo and different makes of magazines. How will it stand up to many years of use and carry? I guess I will find out.
It would kill my soul to have to hand over a 3K 1911 to the cops should I have to use it on the street and its equally hard for me spend that kind of cash for a range gun. Competing professionally would maybe justify a high dollar gun. The next time I get the itch for a 1911, it will be a Dan Wesson. Which will be the upper limit of my budget.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post