SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best .357 under $1000
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .357 under $1000 Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
What's the best 4 - 6 inch .357 / .38 revolver in your opinion? This will be just for range use, and because I think everyone should have a .357

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a used S&W Model 19/66 or a Ruger Security Six.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
GP100?
It's the only larger 357/38 revolver I have any range time with.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple, Ruger GP-100. Cheap and reliable stainless steel.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
The ubiquitous S&W 686 - preferably a 686-4.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda depends on use. I love my S&W Model 66 as a mid-sized utility gun, but if I was at the range all day or shooting a lot of magnum rounds I'd say GP100. Also hard to go wrong with a full sized S&W 686.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP 100. I prefer it to my Smith Mod. 19 as a utility / range gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far in this thread, only DA revolvers have been mentioned. If you don't object to a SA revolver, consider a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero. Both come in blued carbon steel or stainless steel.
The Blackhawk has adjustable sights while the Vaquero comes with fixed sights like the old school Colt SAA.
AFAIK, several barrel lengths are available in both the Blackhawk as well as in the Vaquero. They are: 3 3/4", 4 5/8", 5 1/2", 6 1/2". Also, a "Convertible" as Ruger refers to it, is an extra cost option. It is simply a Blackhawk with an additional 9mm cylinder supplied with the gun.

Right now I have a SS Vaquero in 45 Colt with 4 5/8" bbl. The quality is fantastic and the revolver has performed great so far. But you want a 357 Magnum which is a fine choice since it will give you the option of shooting 38 Special.

Back in the 1980s I remember reading that the 357 Magnum with 4" barrels using 125 JHP ammo had the best track record for one shot stops in police involved shootings. Can't remember exactly where I read that but am pretty sure it was in one of Massad Ayoob's writings.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the gp100 and 686 plus. Owned both in the past and regret selling them. I also still wish I had my 66-1 pinned and recessed combat magnum. Next you can get a blacked out Henry X series side gate loading 357 lever gun to complete the package.

Posts: 714 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 686+ but it is pre lock. I hate the locks. Any L frame Smith is a great gun. First two guns I ever owned were Smith revolvers, M17 and M67. That being said if I could only take one of my 357’s it would be a GP100. My 3 inch GP is my go to revolver but by your criteria I would get the adjustable sight version of the Match Champion and be very happy.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Daughter has a S&W model 640-1. It will get the job done also.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a wee bit shy of 4-6 inches. Lol

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If you want to use fixed sights at the range a 681 4" is great. Mine is a 681-1.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I also vote for the Ruger GP100. While perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as the S&W 686, what the GP100 lacks in good looks it more than makes up for in rugged durability. They are engineered well beyond the demands of the .357 Magnum cartridge and their out-of-box triggers are usually quite good. The ability to disassemble the Ruger into its basic sub-assemblies for cleaning and maintenance is also a welcome feature. PS: Ruger offers their model 1740 as a 5" distributor exclusive. They're a bit difficult to locate, though the barrel length sure hits the sweet spot. Enjoy!

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP100 or the S&W 686. Try to handle both and see which fits your hand best, each has a distinctive grip style. Both are tough but my money is on the Smith for ultimate strength. The 686 is based on Smith's L frame, which they also offer in 44 Magnum as the Model 69. Ruger offers their GP100 only as a 44 Special and a bit of an anemic one at that.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W’s 686 Plus (7 shot) Performance Center 5” barrel length, moon clip compatible (from the factory) pistol…..

Features:

Performance Center® Speed Release Thumbpiece
Vented, Ribbed Barrel
Interchangeable Front Sight - Orange Front Sight Included
Unfluted Cylinder
PC Tuned Action
Chromed Trigger with Trigger Stop
Chromed Custom Teardrop Hammer
Cylinder Cut For Moon Clips (Moon Clips Included)

I have this pistol and it is more accurate than I am and it can be purchased for less than $1k….

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/l-frame-11760

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the Ruger GP100 camp. Haven't shot it in a couple years since my son took a liking to it one day. Never seen a new shooter drill a target as he does.....it's a 6 inch barrel.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I already have a S&W 65 (fixed sights) with a 4” barrel that I got for a song. If I had to buy a new 4” 357, I’d go for the Ruger.

adjustable sights
Built like a tank

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Reading the title I was going to say a Mark I Desert Eagle.

I'll go with a GP-100 with an SP-101 a close second.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate stainless, and don’t see a point in buying new ever. I would find an older used S&W ( I like the more handy and light K frame compared to the L or N, but all have advocates) and have at it.

Even when I had some magnum guns, I most shot 38 special and as such the K frame worked just fine.
If you prefer stainless ( with the exception of living in close proximity to a swamp or salt water it is not a great advantage over blue, and blue looks so much better!) go ahead, but to me nothing beats a 4” model 19. I would suggest the 4” over the 6” as it is more versatile and can be used as a ccw which the 6” really is not realistic for

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post