SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Second handgun project completed today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second handgun project completed today. Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
I mentioned in this thread, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1570035574 about doing several handgun projects this year for something to do during COVID restrictions.

The Encore pistol muzzleloader project is due some field time in about 5 days when muzzleloader deer season starts here in my location.

The second project was completed today when the auxiliary revolver cylinder arrived from Michigan.

I purchased a used stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk from my local dealer several years ago. It had the standard "plow handle" grip frame, chambered in .38 Special/.357 Magnum, and a 4.625" barrel length.

This revolver had a modest amount of wear on the usual places, but didn't appear to have been shot much at all. It did have some minor pitting, but who knows what from. (wet holster, blood, outdoors?)

I carry it frequently when doing outdoor work at the hunting/recreational property. Doing manual labor, firewood, and tractor work it's easy to beat up a holstered handgun.

With this used Ruger, it really doesn't matter if it gets dinged, scraped, or abused.

I did find out rather quickly several items I didn't like. First, I was always getting the original plow handle grip frame hung up on obstructions when working,

and second, .38/.357 ammo is expensive and made from unobtanium.

I did a bit of research and eventually bought a take-off "Birdshead" grip frame, and a carbon steel cylinder chambered in 9mm. I just couldn't find a stainless steel cylinder in 9mm.

Over the summer I fitted the 9mm cylinder to the window in the main cylinder frame. It required lathe work, both on the front face (for setting barrel/cylinder gap) and on the gas ring. (to fit the frame)

Then I fit the used high polish stainless "Birdshead" grip frame to my revolver. The "ears" of the new to me grip frame were high on both sides of the hammer. By about 0.090" so quite a bit of fitting.

The used Birdshead grip frame came with the long discontinued black Micarta grips.

I also replaced all the screws on the revolver, and several springs/pins.

Fitting the grip frame requires assembly/disassembly many times so the slots in the screws get beat up. When assembling the last time, the new screws get installed.

When I completed the project, I went to the range and tested the 9mm cylinder. It's reliable, accurate, and allows usage of my 9mm cast lead reloads which are $0.137 per shot.

Then I had to do something about the unfinished steel on the cylinder. It required machining for the install so I needed to prevent rust.

I thought about hard chrome, and a variety of other aftermarket finishes. I decided I wanted the 9mm cylinder to be "strikingly visually different" from the stainless steel revolver/cylinder.

My thoughts were if the 9mm cylinder looks different, maybe that will be enough of a clue to bring the correct ammo for the applicable cylinder/chambering. I will let you know how that works out.

Months ago in this thread, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5870094374 the OP sent some work to Shuff's parkerizing. http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

That was it, I decided to get the 9mm carbon steel cylinder parkerized. It took just short of 90 days to get it done. The manganese phosphate parkerizing is flawless.

Enough typing, here are a few photos!

Edit: Cost for the cylinder manganese phosphate parkerize job was $35.
Plus shipping.

IMG_20201209_145533843 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20201209_145513722 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20201209_145418094 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cee_Kamp,

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I am getting so sick of plastic, characterless pistols. Nice to see someone still appreciates wheel guns.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice project! Love my Blackhawk Convertibles. I have two. One in .357/9mm and another in .45LC/45ACP.
Plink cheap with 9mm and 45ACP and still have the option for full performance loads.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was you, that would now be my favorite gun. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Doing manual labor, firewood, and tractor work it's easy to beat up a holstered handgun.

Ain't that the truth. Good looking SA.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I carried that same New Model for a couple hunting seasons in your area. Holstered just above my right butt and fed 158 grain half jackets. Primary wheel gun for upstate white tails was a Super in .44. I machined a Douglas blank in 50 cal and was seriously dabbling with the mechanics of 500 Linebaugh.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
David Lee,
I don't use the 9mm/.357 Blackhawk for deer hunting. Just for general varmint duty and protection.
Any handgun deer hunting on my property starts with a "4" in the caliber and goes up.
It's amazing how much punishment a whitetail can absorb, we can't have them running across the property line onto the neighbors land.
I did get a stainless steel Blackhawk convertible in 10mm/.40 S & W recently. It is less abusive to shoot (to the hand and ears) compared to the .44 Magnums.
It's more accurate than my SIG P220 10mm, likely due to the longer sight radius.
I have several Super Blackhawks in .44 Magnum. (one short barrel and the other is the Hunter model with the integral scope ring cuts in the heavy ribbed barrel)
When I really want to put the "smack down" on a whitetail, I break out the S & W 500 Performance Center revolver with scope and 10.5" barrel.
Or the scoped TC Encore pistol in 30-06. But both of those REQUIRE earmuffs and you don't always have time to put them on.
This year I will get a chance to try the T/C Encore pistol with the 50 caliber muzzleloader barrel. That one barks pretty good as well. I made the pistol barrel from a T/C rifle muzzleloader barrel.

NRA Instructor

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
OP, that is an awesome project! I have a 4 5/8" .45 Colt /.45 ACP Blackhawk convertible, and I love it. It's an awesome shooting gun, pairs well with my .45 Colt 1894 Lever-Action, and it is stupid accurate, especially in .45 ACP. Short semi-auto cartridges in single-actions extract really easily, too...a quick tap with the extractor rod and they fall right out.

I've always wanted to get my hands on a .357/9mm. I just "rescued" a .357 Blackhawk today (bought it at a sheriff's auction, sight-unseen). My goal when I bid on it was to get a 9mm cylinder and turn it into a convertible...but when I picked the gun up today, I saw that it was an unconverted three screw. This was unexpected...and awesome...but I don't think Ruger ever made a convertible old model in 357/9mm, and I'm not sure if the dimensions of the New Model cylinder are the same, so I may need to pick up a New Model if I want to do that.

I'm curious, did you have to make any changes to the ratchet to tune the timing of your 9mm cylinder, or just machine the cylinder face and gas ring?

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
No ratchet or pawl modifications. Just the front face and gas ring machining.
A full diameter range rod is used to check cylinder charge hole to barrel alignment.
Check all chambers.
The factory is pretty careful lining up the cylinder latch notches to the charge holes (chambers) and the ratchet "teeth".
Most auxiliary cylinders only require gas ring fitting.
Mine needed that and the front face needed some removal as well.

I got the screws, pins, and springs directly from Ruger.
The Birdshead grip frame, and the cylinder I bought used from a Forum similar to this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cee_Kamp,

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
You were right, cee - that contrast of finishes does give the pistol a unique look and speaks to "Tool", which is exactly what it is and what you use it for. I like it!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
OP, thanks for the info. It's encouraging to know that the timing most likely won't need to be adjusted.

I'm really impressed with the way yours turned out. The two-tone cylinder is a good idea...spoken as one who's shown up at the range with the wrong ammo before Big Grin.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
LOL, my older sister had that happen. We were going hunting and she brought shotgun shells that were incorrect for her new shotgun.

I've never forgotten that day.

NRA Instructor

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's an easy mistake to make. I own a lot of guns that look similar but are chambered in different calibers. Just so long as it gets figured out before it gets fired Big Grin! Never done it myself, but I've seen it happen. 9mm brass looks really funky after it's been fired out of a .40 Eek!

posted Hide Post
I really like the birdshead grips. I never cared for the appearance until I tried one, and found it very functional, and comfortable; it grew on me.

I'm afraid tha cylinder would annoy me. I'd have to get the pistol plated.

I'd put a super blackhawk hammer on it, too. lower, wider spur, more like a Bisley feel.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
cee_Kamp, all this SA show and tell reminds me of a Ruger at McLains Sporting Goods I never took home. It was 4 port Mag na ported, stainless with its cylinder flutes bright polished, a polished ring around its cylinder rear over bolt notches, trigger job and jeweled hammer, muzzle was crowned very deep and the thing I recall most, it wore black micarta stocks and colored C More sights. It was a slick up SA at a great price. Today, I never even hear or read of C More sights. Seppin for their electronic sights. Shoulda bought it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's really nice work.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Ruger! Very nice work. Really like the grips.

The contrasting finish has a S&W 'pinto' feel.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post