SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 frame rails
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 frame rails Login/Join 
posted
I have an M17 Bravo and it's hard not to notice that the frame rails are bent to less than 90 degrees and the outboard tip of the rail is the only part that touches the slide.
I checked a P320 at the gun shop, same thing.
Any reason for that?

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Looking at my 320, the "frame rails" appear bent at 90 to me..

I'm not sure what you're talking about where "only the outboard tip" "touches the slide."

I see four tabs riding in two slots...

You're asking a question best answered with "that is how the firearm is designed."

What kind of information are you looking for? This is a very similar situation to how Glock frame and slides meet.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rear view of the rail area.

https://flic.kr/p/2eV9gjr

posted Hide Post
The only other pistols with tabs I own are Glocks and their tabs are 90 degrees.
My first thought was that the P320 tabs were not bent properly.
I went to a gun shop and looked at their P320 and it was the same as mine.
Unless I keep running into problem guns, I have a normal gun, I just can't figure out why they are made this way.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Man, the frame rails are at 90. Take the gun apart and it is easily observed. The "rail" is partially obscurred with the gun assembled.

As to your "why is it made that way," once we establish that no, there isn't some strange cant to the rails.. Exactly what are you trying to learn abou how the gun is manufactured?

As far as making something from metal, a roll, which is what you're looking at, is stronger than a 90 degree corner like a folded sheet of paper would have.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Man, the frame rails are at 90. Take the gun apart and it is easily observed. The "rail" is partially obscurred with the gun assembled.

As to your "why is it made that way," once we establish that no, there isn't some strange cant to the rails.. Exactly what are you trying to learn abou how the gun is manufactured?

As far as making something from metal, a roll, which is what you're looking at, is stronger than a 90 degree corner like a folded sheet of paper would have.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147204051@N08/T8N1mp
A straight edge would contact more of the tabs if they were at 90 degrees. As you can see the edge of the tabs is the only part that makes any contact with the straight edge I placed on the tabs.
I am not satisfied that this is right and I am looking for more information.
Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I understand what you're saying, nraguy, and that would also bug my OCD as well.

Sorry man...don't have an answer for you, but I'm looking forward to one showing up on this thread eventually.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Just for clarity, have you had any problems with the gun? Have you shot it? Does it function? Or you are just concerned with how it looks?

Frankly I didn't put a straight edge on mine, but considering that I can't just rock the slide off the gun I'd say there is sufficient engagement of the slide rails. This is also after many hundreds of rounds.

Is there undue movement of the slide? Anything beyond "it doesn't look right?"

Arc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for clarity, have you had any problems with the gun? Have you shot it? Does it function? Or you are just concerned with how it looks?

Frankly I didn't put a straight edge on mine, but considering that I can't just rock the slide off the gun I'd say there is sufficient engagement of the slide rails. This is also after many hundreds of rounds.

The gun works great, I do better with it than many other guns, I even plan to buy more P320 pistols soon.
I don't care about looks, what I do care is that this condition may mean that there was a mistake that might cost me in the long run with excessive wear. If there's a mistake, I want it fixed. In the mean time I'm trying to gather information.
I have to send the slide back because it was shipped to me with dead rear sights. My P365 was shipped with a dead front sight. Given this experience, I can't put it past them to knowingly send out a badly made product.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
I understand what you're saying, nraguy, and that would also bug my OCD as well.

Sorry man...don't have an answer for you, but I'm looking forward to one showing up on this thread eventually.

Thanks.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nraguy:
quote:

The gun works great, I do better with it than many other guns, I even plan to buy more P320 pistols soon.
I don't care about looks, what I do care is that this condition may mean that there was a mistake that might cost me in the long run with excessive wear. If there's a mistake, I want it fixed. In the mean time I'm trying to gather information.
I have to send the slide back because it was shipped to me with dead rear sights. My P365 was shipped with a dead front sight. Given this experience, I can't put it past them to knowingly send out a badly made product.

Sometime tomorrow I'll stick a straight edge on mine, but at a glance it didn't appear strange. The tabs have a rounded appearace but looked like they plane out. It might be just like yours. If the gun runs fine and there is no unusual wear or loose fit frame/slide wise, then perhaps what you see is by design and not unusual.

To get a primary source answer to the "why" might be a tall order. Comparing a feature to how a Glock is designed only means it is different, not inherently inferior.

Arc.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

Same here. That definitely looks odd to me and intuitively makes no sense. You might want to contact SIG CS directly and ask, showing them the pic.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it doesn't look odd to me. They are bending a piece of flat steel. the more gently you bend it the better. the engagement surface is engaged to the slide at the end of the bend. There is no meaning to the bend radius as you can clearly see by the actual milling on the slide which is not a true 90 degree slot.
As long as the two mate you could have almost any reasonable angle.
I looked at several and they are all exactly the same so I don't think yours is at all weird or unusual.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

I will call CS, first I wanted to hear from P320 owners in case it is normal.
Same here. That definitely looks odd to me and intuitively makes no sense. You might want to contact SIG CS directly and ask, showing them the pic.

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Could it be (gasp!) that it was designed this way?

Perhaps the rails were meant to stress and guide the slide in a particular way. We're not talking about a pistol with full-length frame/slide rails.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have 3 P320s. The rail to slide engagement on all of mine look exactly like your photo. All three of them have been 100% reliable, and exhibited no abnormal wear over thousands of rounds. Your gun is fine. If it's functioning fine, leave it alone.

Posts: 8539 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I have 3 P320s. The rail to slide engagement on all of mine look exactly like your photo. All three of them have been 100% reliable, and exhibited no abnormal wear over thousands of rounds. Your gun is fine. If it's functioning fine, leave it alone.

This is exactly the answer I was hoping for.
I really enjoy this gun, it has worked perfectly since day one and I have plans for more.
Thanks for taking the time to check.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would look at the wear pattern on the rails and in the slide where it contacts the rails.
If that was as far out of spec as the pictures imply, I can't believe the gun would even go together or operate.
More likely is the radius is larger and that would make it less likely to fail at the bend.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not likely its out of spec. I looked at 6 guns, 92fstech looked at 3. they all look the same as the picture. The gun in question runs mint. I'm sure the bend radius is engineered to reduce the likelihood of failure at the bend. And obviously from the trials we know its not a long term failure point as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
not likely its out of spec. I looked at 6 guns, 92fstech looked at 3. they all look the same as the picture. The gun in question runs mint. I'm sure the bend radius is engineered to reduce the likelihood of failure at the bend. And obviously from the trials we know its not a long term failure point as well.

The gun in question is amazing, the more I shoot it, the more I like it, the only problem I have is with the nightsight, something that can be expected from SIG.
In fact I think that there is a double benefit to not bending them to 90. First it puts less stress on the corner and second it allows more room for debris.