SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Left Handers which handguns have worked best for you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handers which handguns have worked best for you? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A P220, P226, 1911s (and 2011s) are pretty good.

Not as much fun as a Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty and I don't have problems with the P style hammer Sigs. I broke down and bought a couple P365s and a 322. I wouldn't mine the ambi slide release added to the 365 but it is not a must have for me.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I have gotten along just fine for over 30 years of shooting/carry with pistols that don't have a right-handed only thumb safety. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. The Gen 5 Glock 19 is perfect for southpaws.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am left handed, but I do some things right handed, including shooting. I am not ambidextrous by any stretch. I had surgery on my right thumb several years ago, and while recuperating, I decided to try left handed shooting. It was an interesting endeavor. One pistol that I became somewhat proficient with was an H&K P7M8 (not the PSP). It is totally ambidextrous with a mag release on both sides and the squeeze-cocking mechanism acting as a slide release.

Posts: 128 | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Lots of good info. Stag Arms was mentioned and I’m on their notification list for three different AR models that are lefty when they come back in stock. Might be a long wait but I’ve vowed no more rifle or shotgun money will be spent unless it’s a lefty.

For bolt actions I will only buy left-handed. There are enough options available. For 10/22 pattern, AK pattern, and everything else semi-auto, you can only get right handed ejection with some ambi features. Most newer semi-autos are OK. AK's are actually better lefty due to location of charging handle and safety.

For AR's I started with Stag, but they are just too limiting. Can't get aftermarket lefty barrels, and BCG's, and some handguards will not fit a lefty upper. Stag's factory offerings with the Aero-sourced hand rails aren't bad. And they finally offer a mid length gas action on a 16" barrel. But you can only get gov't profile barrels, or the odd "varmint" upper with a long-ass heavy barrel.

I have two Stags to sell now that I am building my own "ambi" AR's with right hand ejection.

I have a Stag LH pistol 10.5 bbl. and like it.
I'm RH- L eye dom. I shoot Handguns RH - rifle shotties and the Stag LH

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beretta92
posted Hide Post
My youngest son is a south paw & the pistol he likes the best is the M&P Shield 380EZ
It doesn't have an ambi slide lock/release, but I did swap the magazine release over to LH for him
He just loves the ease of slide manipulation & lack of recoil this pistol has...
He will be 31 next Friday BTW
We bought the EZ for my Wife & she prefers a revolver instead so my Ruger SP101 is Hers

Posts: 1861 | Location: Clarksville Indiana | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P220 and P229 SIGs worked superbly as lefty guns, and less well when fired right-handed. When fired right-handed, I had to be careful not to unintentionally touch the slide stop lever.

Glocks, until the Gen5, were/are similarly wonderful, for shooting lefty. Then, along came the Gen5, with that stupid slide stop lever on BOTH sides of the weapon, which gets in my way, whether shooting righty or lefty. My favorite Glocks have been Gen3 and Gen4.

The Third-Generation S&W autos, if DA/SA, normally have safety/de-cock levers on both sides of the slide, and the slide stop lever nicely located out of the way of a lefty’s thumb’s way. An “ambidextrous” slide stop lever would have messed-up that superb arrangment.

In each of the above cases, the mag release is operated with the left trigger finger.

To be clear, I am saying that a “right-hand” pistol can work better for a lefty, that for a righty, and that an “ambidextrous” pistol does not necessarily make a lefty’s life easier.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed but right eyed dominant.

I shoot right handed mostly. Just seemed easier to do that than swim upstream all the time.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post