New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holosun SCS Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I was curious if anybody has put hands on one of these yet, or if they're still just vaporware. I was intrigued when they released them at SHOT show this year, but I haven't heard much about them since, and I'm curious how they're actually performing in the field...if they're actually in the field.

I'm more interested in the concept that the actual sight itself at this point. I'm not a Glock guy...the only one I own is a G26 3rd gen, and I don't plan to cut it for an optic. The big interest for me is the low profile design, its seamless integration into the slide, and the ability to utilize standard-height iron sights. I recently picked up a Beretta 92x RDO, and while I really think the Beretta optic mounting system sucks, I could see a future development of the SCS that direct mounts and molds to the profile of the 92x slide being a viable option....if Holosun decides to make such a thing. And it's not just the Beretta...the low profile makes it an interesting option for carry guns across the board.

I realize there are some downsides to the design...the smaller window likely makes it harder to pick up the dot (which might be mitigated somewhat by the reticle choice). Also, as a night shifter with kids in the house I store my gun in a safe when I'm not carrying it, so it doesn't see much sunlight. As such, the solar charging battery is a bit of a concern.

I'd really like to hear some first-hand accounts of how the optic is working out in the real world if anybody's got one.

Posts: 8522 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still awaiting them. I don't have a ton of personal interest in it, but I'm going to put one on a test gun for the summer and put a few thousand rounds on it. The initial reviews from the guys with T&E optics are pretty favorable. Maybe that's not a big surprise. Aaron Cowan's video is up and I trust his stuff.

I think this optic represents what will push optical sights forward. Lower profile, no maintenance, no special irons, no plates, etc. The biggest downside is that it is specific to a manufacturer's optic cut. That means no moving them between guns of different brands and it means a bunch of SKUs for different cuts. It also is an issue for previously milled guns and I would hope that an RMR and DPP cut model are on the horizon.

As with all of the Holosun stuff, I'll try to have them available for SF members as soon as I can get them.

Posts: 5153 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
As with all of the Holosun stuff, I'll try to have them available for SF members as soon as I can get them.

Well that's good to hear...you've kinda become my optic guy, so I appreciate you staying up on stuff Big Grin! I'll have to watch Aaron Cowan's video and see what he has to say about it....I'm really hoping they get these out the door soon so we can get some real life day-to-day feedback on them. I think they're on to something really good here...at least good for the consumer. I can definitely understand how it would create something of a nightmare for the retail and manufacturing side, though.

Posts: 8522 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like the HK VP9 OR version shown at SHOT.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I'd like the HK VP9 OR version shown at SHOT.

So they e already released other versions? I wasn't aware of that...I thought they only had the one for the Glock. That's encouraging to know that they're pushing forward with development for different platforms.