SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 29-3 with 10 5/8” barrel. (Photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 29-3 with 10 5/8” barrel. (Photos) Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
This is one I’ve been thinking about for a while. I gave up on ever running into one so I went through one of the online auction sites. A funny sidenote to that is I checked the completed auctions and the most recent one that sold was from my local gun shop. I guess certain things never hit the shelves. I do understand why since there’s probably more money outside of Lancaster County,Pa than there is inside of it right now.

A bought it last weekend but it seemed like a race against time to get it into my possession. It was sent Monday morning via USPS priority two day but after leaving Colorado went four days without showing a single scan. Within that timeframe Pennsylvania gun stores were closed down, then reopened but the background check system was in complete disarray and then they were in limbo while the county figured out exactly what “lockdown” meant. Naturally my first concern was a disgruntled postal employee now has a long barreled 44 magnum and my second was if it does come in I won’t be able to pick it up for nobody knows how long.

Friday morning I was relieved to see a scan coming from USPS that it was on its way to its next destination. It finally arrived at the FFL/Dealer Saturday morning. The shop I use had made the decision to be technically closed but were allowing people to come in by appointment to pick up things that were already ordered in. I was pleasantly surprised when they contacted me within an hour after I got the delivered scan and told me I could come right over. The shop was relatively calm when I got there but it must’ve been a madhouse as there was a uniformed Constable watching over the place.

Fortunately it all worked out in the long run and I was able to add this unique model 29 to my growing collection. It’s also a plus when the used gun from an online purchase is actually in much better shape than you thought it was going to be.

According to a serial number look up the firearm was manufactured in 1985. From what I could tell it probably shipped from the factory with the speed loader cut out style stocks but the ones that came on it are in such good shape I’m not concerned about it. In the online photos there must’ve been bright lights overhead creating shine which I thought were bare spots in the bluing. There are a few minor imperfections but overall the firearm is in much better shape than I anticipated.

This rounds out my model 29 collection as far as the long barrels go. I started with a 6.5” model 629, then a 29-2 with 6.5“ barrel, then another 29-2 but nickel with 8” pipe and now this. Hopefully the current situation comes to pass and I can start the hunt for the shorter variants.

I know this was a long winded post just to show off a few photos but I have a hunch there’s plenty of us with enough time to read through right now. Thanks for looking and I’d love to know what you all think of it. Brian.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Be still my heart. What I've deemed to be one of the finest S&W N frames ever made. I've shot but never owned one. They've climbed in value. I believe its stocks are correct. I love its 4 position front sight. Same sight was on my Classic Hunter which wore a non fluted cylinder. The Classic Hunter was 6" barrel and its patridge blade front sight was wider than your 10 5/8". Your front blade is quite narrow which made it a fine tool for long range steel shooting, I cant spell it... Big Grin. I was offered a new 10 5/8" barrel here a couple years back by a gracious Forum Member. I dont expect to ever own one of these great revolvers. Your write up was very nice to read sir. You need quality, precision hard cast lead bullets. Lots of them. And there has never been, in a S&W a nicer match than their full target hammer and trigger. Shoot well.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I should give honorable mention to my 6" Model 686 which also wore a 4 position front sight. Very nice for the 4 firing lines of PPC.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to read the post and reply. I agree that the six inch barrels with the adjustable sight are a thing of practical beauty.
I’ll let everyone gobble up what’s left of the common semi auto handgun calibers and seek out those lead cast 44s of which you speak.
They always say hindsight is 20/20. Should I have known I would have some extra time on my hands books and equipment to start reloading would have been a good investment.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
For straight wall cartridges and, building accuracy loads, a nice single station press such as the strong Redding Ultra Mag, and I will varify that press name for you, is affordable and will last 3 lifetimes. I am not sure if Elgin Gates had anything to do with the development of this long barrel model but it made its presence known in metallic silhouette. There, I went and looked up the spelling of silhouette.. Razz. I also forgot about the 1st revolver I ever bought. Fact, it was my first hand gun. The Model 586 with 8 3/8" barrel and she had the 4 position front sight. I learned to shoot it one hand off hand. Silly things like dog food cans at 50 yards with wad cutters. I did load some heavy 180 Hornady bullets for shooting distance. You'll probably need at least one 45 Colt N frame in your collection. Dont forget the Classic DX as well. A beautiful N frame.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, Redding Ultra Mag. I will buy another someday.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You sir have just got one bad ass gun.
The smiths in 44 cal are my favorite.
I cast and reload for it for forty years +

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My, that is a long one. Nice find. When the bullet comes out of the barrel it's halfway there.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is like the Joker's gun in the first Batman movie.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
You need one of these grip/stocks for that beauty, like Lee Van Cleef

https://iv1.lisimg.com/image/1...-more-screenshot.jpg

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very fine addition to the Family

I sold mine long ago, it is a shame that production of those ended before the Endurance Package was introduced

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
What was the Endurance package?

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What was the Endurance package?
Remember, the Model 29 is basically a heat treated version of a N-frame design going back to around 1909

Starting back around the late 1980s, Smith & Wesson started making some changes to the N-Frame Revolvers.

The endurance package was developed because of shortcomings in the revolver design that became apparent when the 29/629s were used extensively for Silhouette matches. The original design never took into account pushing projectiles between 240 and 300 grain at the cutting edge of pressure limits (and beyond) on a constant basis

Additionaly you had the recently introduced Model 627 peening the cylinder notches because of the high mass from the unfluted cylinder with the 6 small holes bored in it

The easiest thing to spot, is the change to the longer stop notches and corresponding cylinder stop.

On Pre-Endurance package revolvers, the notch looks centered along that little ramp that the stop rides in. like on this older 657

On the post endurance revolvers the notch looks dramatically offset toward the muzzle like on this 657 snubby

Internal changes occurred as well. Diameters of some of the studs were enlarged and radiused, no I don't remember which ones Smile

These changes started with the -3E engineering revision of the Model 29 and the -2E engineering revision of the Model 629, the -0 engineering revision of the Model 627 received changes as well

As I recall the last of the 10 5/8" Model 29s was built during the -3 engineering revision

I bought a spare barrel and rear sight with the intent of making myself a post endurance package 10 5/8" 29. I just never found a donor gun to do it with. So like all good thoughts, he barrel still sits in my workbench

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is the beautiful barrel you offered to me to buy. I mentioned it in my above post. Maybe the future will see me having the funds to get it. Thank you for the information about the upgrades. I never knew this. That barrel mated to a Millett rear sight would put me in mild load lead bullet heaven.

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
To those S&W N frame lovers WITHOUT the Endurance package take heart. Your magnums will shoot fine with factory spec magnums with standard bullet weights. 240 grain .44 mags and 210 .41 magnums and of course 158 .357 mags. And of course any lighter or reasonable handloads. This is what they were designed to do and they do it well.
I would however avoid the heavy loaded "Boutique" companys like Buffalo Bore, Underwood etc. that load high velocity heavy bullets at very high pressures. These will put undue wear on you gun, and you!
The endurance package was designed because of the sport of Metallic Silloutte shooting. Where everyone was loading heavy bullets to maximum pressures to knock over 200 pound rams at extreme distances. And shooting a LOT of rounds every weekend, so the S&W revolvere loosened up...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post