SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reading about all the new, lightweight pistols....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading about all the new, lightweight pistols.... Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
just makes me want to go back to shooting and carrying one of my P220ST pistols. Or my trusty old carbon steel P220R.
Is this weird? Or a genetic trait to resist change?
Or nostalgia?
Or what?
My last two purchases have been a SIG 1911 and a Ruger Gp100 3” (7 shot).

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think it’s fairly natural for folks to sort of fall back on what they know or cut their teeth on. Whether guns, cars, tools or processes and procedures.

I sort of figured out quite some time back that the ultra tiny semi autos are just too small for me. Doesn’t make them bad just my preference and like most folks the older I get the more set in my ways I get.

All that said these new micro compact 10+ shot pistols are marvels as are all the optics ready stuff even if I personally like my old school hammer fired iron sighted dinosaurs. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All metal guns are, and will always be, special, despite the latest and greatest. Heck, even SIG is bringing out the AXG Scorpion and Classic.

Q

Posts: 26395 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is kinda amusing when I see the metal framed options for plastic fantastics. Part of the reason for the polymer guns is to save weight. I get it, for competition weight can help. But a lot of these aren’t being used for competition.

That all said, I did go to the P320 from a P229 because it was lighter and I was faster to the first shot. And now I tend to pocket carry a P365 just because the tightness of the belt to carry a bigger pistol starts bugging my back.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
All metal guns are, and will always be, special, despite the latest and greatest.

Word up!

E.g.: I like my Walther PP2 M2 well enough. For its convenience, it's the one I carry more than any other. But I prefer my Colt Defender or SIG P239 SAS.

And, for full-size pistols: I like my P320F .45 ACP well enough, but I prefer my Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced.

So, yeah: I like my plastic wonder pistols well enough, but I truly love my all-metal pistols.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Every long gun I own for fun is wood and steel. Most of my fun handguns are revolvers and older semi-auto pistols. But I don’t consider nostalgia when I choose guns for personal defense. My HD guns are what is practically best for the task.

I just bought a new holster for my 3” GP100 10mm and decided to wear it around the house for a bit. It was comfortable enough but after a few hours I switched back to my P365 and the difference was night and day. I love that GP100 but it’s going to spend a lot more time in the safe than it will on my hip.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I don't own any plastic pistols. All of mine are metal framed and hammer fired. And I frequently get the urge to carry a heavier all steel 45. And I go ahead and do it.

And after 10 hours of wearing one and taking an Advil for the hip/back pain when I get home......I strap on my tiny CS9, for the rest of the week. Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with Pale Horse. Wood and blue steel evokes quality and durability to me. But my carry gun is poly because weight is a factor in all day carry. And most poly guns have evolved now into high accuracy, durability and reliability.
Compare the weight and capacity of a Glock 48 to the weight and capacity of an all steel 9mm Commander. Both are great guns but the G48 is considerably lighter and performs just as well.
I carry my 1911 (own 4 of them) or my 220 (own 2) from time to time and will continue to do so. But lets face it, the poly gun does what steel and wood does and for the most part, does it equally well.
I am as much as a traditionalist as anyone, but its a poly world now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had gone to polymer too. And I must say, my Gen 5 Glock 19 is a joy to carry and easy to shoot, and I'm getting used to the 365. That being said, earlier this month I came across a barely used Springfield Milspec Defender 1911 for under $500. I bought it and couldn't be happier. I won't be carrying it or anything. But it is something to be holding a Steel Warrior from the past. And it is accurate as all hell. Nothing like a classic.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fedsiguser
posted Hide Post
Carrying a heavy weapon can be uncomfortable but remember folks are always looking for the smallest lightest weapon to do the job. But at some point weapons could get too light and too small resulting in sharp painful recoil and difficult gripping force. This could result in lack of practice reducing effectiveness. CCW should be comforting not necessarily comfortable

US Army 5th SOG 1970-90
Federal LE 1990-2011
Blue Knights LE MC
NRA Life member (Benefactor)

Posts: 325 | Location: South Carolina. USA | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tested the waters with a Glock 21 back in the early 90's. Since then I have owned Springfield, Kel-tec, S&W, Ruger and of course Glock.

I have rented/shot others to determine if they will be my next purchase.

Articles and advertisements of new wonderous polymer handguns of minimal weight and maximum magazine capacity have tempted me.

At present I am sated with my Colt Cobra .38 (1st Series). Ensconced in a Wright Leather Works IWB holster it is indeed light weight and comfortable for all day carry. Even with my problematic back. I also have my all steel PPK/S and Kimber alloy framed Ultra carry. Not as light as the Cobra but manageable.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just an old dog that doesn't want to learn any new tricks. 9mm is as light as I will consider for a carry gun, and I will not consider a striker fired gun. I know, I know, but that really is it for me. Every time I see a plastic fantastic gun, I am reminded of the toy guns my son had as a kid. When I was a kid, my toy guns were made of metal. Big Grin
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree sig sailor.... I like to play with the plastic guns and have a couple small ones... but what I like to fall back on is metal and at least some size.... yes, it is a compromise with concealed carry...

In fact I just recently ended up with two Glocks a model 31 & 32... neither the striker fired mech. or the all poly frame really do much for me but in that they are companions to two rifles I bought that take the same ammo and magazines.... I had to go that route.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
After packing an all steel Gov't model 45 loaded with 230g Hydra-Shocks for 25 years, I don't mind the weight. Once I made the leap to polymer 9mm's I can't fault anyone for carrying them. So light you almost forget they are there.
Recently I've become nostalgic & decided to embrace my inner Boomer & now carry a DW Guardian in 38 Super. Commander size w/alloy frame is just about the right balance of weight to comfort for me.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve spent most of the last year carrying a Glock 19 and occasionally carrying my P365. I’ve recently put an XL GGI grip on the 365 and have been carrying that IWB for the last month. I purchased the AXG Scorpion and built a 320 XCarry on a Wilson grip and may start to carry that some. I took my P220ST to the range last weekend and enjoyed the heck out of shooting it. That served as my HD gun for the greater part of 15 years and I can still shoot the snot out of that gun. I too have been thinking about carrying some heavier/bigger guns, but a chronic hip &back issue are trying to tell me otherwise. Still, I can’t help but scratch the itch so I commissioned a new OWB rig for a pinned and recessed S&W model 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. I carried a 66 and then a 686 snubbie almost 30 years ago and felt adequately armed. I have some Milt Sparks leather for my 3” CS1 686s with the thought I’d carry one, but the balance of the 66 is so much better for carrying. On a recent range trip, the RSO couldn’t stop eyeing the old 66 and me training with it again. He was surprised at how fast and accurate I was shooting double action, and asked me about the trigger pull weight. When I told him it was about 7lbs, he looked at me like Roll Eyes and thought I was lying. I offered him the gun and said you’re more than welcome to take it for a spin. He came back to the bench with the biggest shit eating grin and said, “I think that is the best trigger I’ve ever felt on a revolver.” I’m fortunate to have many guns and holster options for carrying but I tend to train with one or two guns and don’t rotate my CCW guns. I am super excited to get this model 66 back on my belt and can’t wait for the leather to show up late August/early September.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post