SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    WWII SIG Pistol with Holster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII SIG Pistol with Holster Login/Join 
posted
My stepfather returned from the war with a SIG pistol and holster. He passed it down to me in 2007. My stepfather was a surgeon and attempted to save the life of a severely wounded German officer. This officer offered his gun in an effort to surrender…his wounds were too severe and he died on the table. The magazine is still loaded with the bullets loaded by the officer. One grip is broken and was that way when my stepfather received it.

Serial number: 430853
Marks look to be an eagle with an “N” beneath.
A second mark on the trigger guard is another eagle (maybe) over a circle with a “C” stamped next to it.

The holster:
Stamped inside with the year 1937 in a box.
Beneath the year is a number: 487 with what looks like a filled in 0.

I have photos, but not seeing how to upload them here…new to this forum.

Help with photo uploading would be appreciated.

Posts: 8 | Registered: April 11, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Would love to see some pics

Use Postimage

https://postimages.org/

Upload your pic and copy the "direct link"

Type in [img] insert direct link and end with [/img]

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is it a small pistol? Possibly a Sauer 1913?

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Sauer_1913#Sauer_1913

I know not a SIG but I’ve had folks think it is because of SIG Sauer.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Posting images for OP.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help!
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Would love to see some pics

Use Postimage

https://postimages.org/

Upload your pic and copy the "direct link"

Type in [img] insert direct link and end with [/img]

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That specific Eagle-over-the-N is the German definitive proof with smokeless powder used from 1939 to 1945.
See here (p. 2), https://cip-bobp.org/sites/def...-06/Allemagne_EN.pdf

Don't see info about the other mark (Eagle over something unrecognizable, with a C next to it).

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Cool, and thanks for the photos.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
No SIG. It's a late production Sauer moder 38H. The Waa style eagle with the "c" on the trigger guard indicates a Police acceptance marking, not army/Wehrmacht.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I was close. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Isn't that the decocking lever that SIG (and SIG Sauer, BTW) adopted for the P220? One could argue that a complete SIG collection should probably include a Sauer 38H as a granddaddy of the 22X models.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Isn't that the decocking lever that SIG (and SIG Sauer, BTW) adopted for the P220? One could argue that a complete SIG collection should probably include a Sauer 38H as a granddaddy of the 22X models.

Yes

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
The decocker is also a cocker for single action.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/ed...auer38_082306/138048

Posts: 1570 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the correction! Very new to this forum and the brand. I grew hunting with some target shooting, never really had many handguns/pistols.
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is it a small pistol? Possibly a Sauer 1913?

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Sauer_1913#Sauer_1913

I know not a SIG but I’ve had folks think it is because of SIG Sauer.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
CaptBill get that grip panel replaced, that is a nice specimen that deserves to be whole again.

Love the holster.

Congratulations, what a nice pistol

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I always wondered if I should fix it or leave it as it was…
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
CaptBill get that grip panel replaced, that is a nice specimen that deserves to be whole again.

Love the holster.

Congratulations, what a nice pistol

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I'm going to disagree with replacing anything on this amazing piece of history, if it were mine. Leave it exactly as it was, when it left the dying officer.

Btw, any posts by member OTD that are firearm related and coming from Europe, I would take notes. There is good reason his CUT is SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
. Smile

Q

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ I'm going to disagree with replacing anything on this amazing piece of history, if it were mine. Leave it exactly as it was, when it left the dying officer.

Btw, any posts by member OTD that are firearm related and coming from Europe, I would take notes. There is good reason his CUT is SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
. Smile

if the OP plans on shooting it, buy a set of replacement grips, and save the originals,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I see two choices... leave it as is and have a display case made with description of its providence or have a good gunsmith break it down... clean and lube and replace the grips (keeping the old ones) and then fire it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
The magazine is still loaded with the bullets loaded by the officer

I would like some pics of this

I would leave it as it is, what a great piece of history

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post