SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dry Fire snap Cap Option
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Fire snap Cap Option Login/Join 
posted
Want to get in more practice with my new 365XL and dry firing makes good sense rather than a trip to the range everyday.
I now see a new snap cap, the A-Zoom Striker Cap. These do not eject each time I need to rack the slide which is obviously required on a striker fired pistol.
Thinking of buying a couple of these.
Any downside?
Do they work as advertised or is this just more marketing.

Posts: 13 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: May 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have never really had issue with regular snap caps as it doesn’t generally take much to reset a striker.

That said I have a laser cartridge that has no rim to grab and I’ve never had issue with it.

I know that’s not an answer to your specific question but hopefully it helps.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t aware of the A-Zoom “striker” snap cap, so that’s good to know.

The standard A-Zoom snap caps tend to get chewed up pretty quickly with the anodizing chipping off due to the chambering and the extractor’s contact with the rim. The striker cap, though, looks like it would work fine. Although conventional wisdom is that a gun like a SIG or Glock doesn’t need snap caps, it couldn’t hurt to use one. It can also enhance safety by making use of the snap cap part of the practice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better option... Tap Rack Training Aids

Best devices I've seen and used. Don't have to keep looking at the "dummy round" just to make sure it's not a live device.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Tap Rack device is interesting and would be more convenient if we didn’t want the protection of a snap cap, but otherwise would not be suitable. And if that were what we wanted, it could be done for free by removing the spring and follower from the magazine (the floor plate could be held in place on the magazine with a piece of tape if it didn’t just stay in place by friction). Plus, depending upon the size/configuration of the grip it might not be necessary to use a magazine at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a variety of snap caps over the years and quality and durability vary quite a bit. A-Zoom have worked well for me.
But, for dry fire practice I went with an SIRT laser pistol. Mine is the model that approximates the Sig P320. I practice with it a lot more than I did with snap caps and since it wont accept ammo, safety is assured. You can swap out sights and it fits my holsters. You can do mag changes with it too. There are models that are similar to Glocks too.
Is it a perfect system? Nope. Mainly because of its price. But I have gotten my $$ worth out of in light of ammo cost saved and easier safe training time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tipton for me...when I use them. A-Zoom's soft aluminum and mean ol' Glock extractors just don't play nice together.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I use them and they work just fine.

No rim to get chewed up, and the bright orange color makes it easy to see they are not live rounds.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I use the Mantis Laser Academy for my dry firing. It works very well.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have the Mantis portable unit?

Posts: 13 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: May 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I use them and they are the shizle.
You don't have to keep picking up a snap cap off the floor every time you reset the striker a little too vigorously.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot more expensive than the A-Zoom snap caps(which I use extensively), the Cool-Fire barrel(www.coolfiretrainer.com) for my P320 allows me to not only dry-fire for trigger control and sight picture, but also experience similar recoil to live ammo so you can practice recoil control also. I find the Soda Stream CO2 bottles to work best for me since I already have a Soda Stream device. So far I have gotten well over 1000 shots from one bottle.

Probably not an option for every gun you have(unless you have a lot of money or only a few guns), so I do use the A-Zoom snap caps a lot, but I am glad I have the CoolFire barrel for my P320 as the training also carries over to the other 320s that I have.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USAFA71:
A lot more expensive than the A-Zoom snap caps(which I use extensively), the Cool-Fire barrel(www.coolfiretrainer.com) for my P320 allows me to not only dry-fire for trigger control and sight picture, but also experience similar recoil to live ammo so you can practice recoil control also. I find the Soda Stream CO2 bottles to work best for me since I already have a Soda Stream device. So far I have gotten well over 1000 shots from one bottle.

Probably not an option for every gun you have(unless you have a lot of money or only a few guns), so I do use the A-Zoom snap caps a lot, but I am glad I have the CoolFire barrel for my P320 as the training also carries over to the other 320s that I have.

I just checked out their website. WHEW! They do not list a unit for the Sig P365XL. Saved me some cash!

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frjeff:
Do you have the Mantis portable unit?

Mine has both the short and long tripod, the Standard I believe it is called.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are not terrible expensive so not much downside. That’s being said I’ve dry fired quite a bit and never broken a part.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've forgotten the name, but somebody makes a solid brass snap cap with a rubber "primer." They're practically indestructible. I don't have the original packaging, but I'll try to remember what they're called.

EDIT TO ADD: KP Tactical, but they seem to be "currently unavailable" or sold out everywhere I look.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post