SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 9MM Mags, what do you guys use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 9MM Mags, what do you guys use? Login/Join 
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted
Hello All,

I haven’t had a P226 for a while (always seemed to gravitate to the 228/229) but I am picking up a couple this week (Legion DA/SA and the seemingly hated Zev). When I last had a 226, I liked the MecGar 18 round flush fits (use the MecGars in my Beretta 92s as well). Is there a better mag for the 226 now? What are you guys using?

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the MecGars are still the gold standard.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a better mag for the 226 now?

No.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree 1000% - And Greg Cote LLC (very active member and supporter of this forum) is the place to buy them. If he is out of stock hit the notification button.

From my personal experience with Greg - His out of stock items usually return to available stock pretty fast. Also Greg usually ships orders the same day, unless it is after hours or late afternoon, which in those situations he ships the following day (morning)……

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I guess I might be the odd man out... I only have and use factory mags....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I guess I might be the odd man out... I only have and use factory mags....

Me as well

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I use only the 18 round Mec Gars in my 226's. I really don't know if there's anything better because I never had to look.

In fact, the factory 15 round mags for my MK-25 & Legion 226 are still in the boxes, unused.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't "factory" mags actually made by MecGar.

I've carried an 18 round MG in my 226 backed up by a 20 round spare like forever.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If they were "Made in Italy," then they were made by Mec-Gar.

If they were "Made in USA," they were most likely made by Checkmate.

If they have dovetail or zipper backs and Triskelion logo, then they were made by Sig in Germany.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar AFC, 18 round, flush fit mags.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be picking up a dozen MecGar 18 rounders.

I pick up the hog legs on Friday, its the soonest I can get to the store. I love/hate it when my old job calls and says "we can get you a good deal on...."

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have a boat load of factory 15rd mags, Mecgar 17rd, and Mecgar 18rd mags that all work flawlessly in my P226s. My only complaint on the 18s is that they don’t have a positive ‘click’ when the mag is inserted. They’re locked in and shoot just fine, they just give me the feeling like they’re not locked in. I’d still buy more 18rd mags if I needed more today.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I like the factory made in Italy 15 round mags that are not parkerized.

The MecGar 17 round mags were flush fit and were awesome, but they discontinued the 17 rd mags.

The MecGar 18 round mags are decent and work. I don't care for the plastic baseplate or that they stick out from the base farther than factory mags.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 20rnd Mecgars for my 226 pistols.

Posts: 124 | Location: PA | Registered: October 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piling on with MecGars and Greg Cote for 226 mags.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking with a bunch of oldies that have the dovetail rears. Nothing beats the originals, IMO at least.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t own a P226, but I own multiple Berettas and P229s and I use MegGar mags in them all. If I had a P226 I’d use MegGar in it too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent service from the Checkmate magazines in my USA made P226's.

I use the original Sauer factory mags in my German guns, except for a late German P226 that came with Italian mags.

I have never tried swapping the mags from gun to gun so I don't know if there is a difference.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I use OEM & MecGar magazines. Oh, and the guy I got it from threw in a ProMag, which is just as crappy as you would expect.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think someone here needs to go to Italy and the MecGar factory and figure out who's factory mags they are making them for? I keep hearing that Sig and Ruger and possibly other company's 'factory' magazines are really MecGar's.... is there a way to prove this?

Not to put y'all 18 and 20+ round guys down... but for me after carrying for close on to 20 years... I'm happy with a single stack 7 and one in the chamber...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post