SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For those that carry reloads...what capacity?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those that carry reloads...what capacity? Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted
A few neighbors and I were discussing reloads the other day, in light of the recent craziness, and the topic of reload capacity came up.

One of my neighbors carries a Glock 26 as his primary EDC pistol. When he carries a reload, it's usually another 10 round G26 magazine. I asked why not a 15 or 17 round mag - and after a few seconds you could see it finally clicked that "yeah, I can carry more rounds".

So for those that carry reloads, what capacity do you carry?

The standard capacity for the pistol?
(E.g. - a 15 round mag for a Glock 19)

The greatest capacity for the platform?
(17 round mag in a G19)

Mag extensions?
(+2, etc.)

Multiple standard mags?

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
All of my carry rigs have the same.

Weapon in the holster has flush fit mag. Spare on weak side is the largest I can find without a huge extension. Ex: Glock 19 spare is a 17. P320C is a spare 17. P365 is a 15. I have custom leather rigs made for these with a light as well.

In my Truck, I carry the largest mag I can find that works. Ex: Glock 19, I have a couple 33's topped off. I can conceal it well and have always felt if I am going to make the attempt to carry, I'm going to do it well enough to get back to my truck.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I always carry reloads.

G19 has 1 G17 reload on the belt, although today I’m also carrying a Bladetech dual mag carrier with two additional G17+2 mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
If I’m carrying my G23, then I carry a flush (13 round) mag in the gun, and a 15 round (standard G22) mag as a reload.

If I’m carrying my G43, then I have an 8 round (Magguts +2 on an OEM mag) in the gun, and one or two 8 round (Vickers Tactical +2 on an OEM mag) mags as reloads.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
When I carried my G19 I carried a G17 mag with a +2 on it fir a total of 19 rounds.

With my P365 I carry a 10 round in the gun and a 15 Round spare.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have always carried with one spare mag (since we started carrying in the mid 80s). The spare mag is carried not because more ammo is needed, though it may come to that; but because the magazine is the weak link in the system. Mags can fail - feed lips get crushed, mag plate is damaged - resulting in the mag not being able to be seated, mag plate comes off, and other situations etc...

Since that is the case, our spare mag is the same as the primary mag. Neither of us have carried a "higher" capacity spare mag.

It doesn't matter what gun we have carried, its been the same process for the both of us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
The only time I don’t carry reloads is on my bicycle when carrying an LCR .38 in a belly band; otherwise, I carry two spare mags for pistol, or if carrying a revolver, 2 spare loads in Speed Strips or speedloaders. Depends on the platform, but for example right now I’m wearing a G19X with flush mag, and carrying two 17-rounders with +2 floor plates (for 19-rounders). Similar for any other pistol I carry.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard capacity magazine as a reload. If I have expended the mag in the gun, the reload will cover me as I run like hell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard capacity spare. P320 carry, 17 rounds + 1 and a 17 round spare.

Left the blazing dumpster fire of of taxes, corruption and tyranny that is Illinois, for freedom in Florida.

Posts: 13 | Location: Southwest Florida | Registered: February 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I carry the 320, I have a spare 15 round on the weak side and two 21 rounders under my driver's seat. My wife carries a purse with a 320 and two 21 rounders. When I carry the 365, I 15 round spare, weak side. Usually no spare mag at the gun shop, but there are 6 armed men there and a number of available weapons.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
15 rounds for my P365, 15 flush-fit for my P228 and uh, 8 for my 1911. Smile

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I usually do a New York Reload in addition to magazines or speed loaders depending upon weapon.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Glock 17 spare due to the fact that I have a 26,19, and 17. Doesn't matter what gun I happen to have since the 17 mag fits all of them.

An added plus is that the extra length of the 17 mag allows it to sit higher in my mag pocket of my pants, so it is easier to pull out.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If I'm carrying a compact/subcompact version of the platform, I'll generally carry full size capacity reloads.

I usually carry 2 spare magazines at any given time.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally carry two magazines, or two speed strips or speed loaders, regardless of what's carried.

With the G32, I usually. have G31 magazines as spare magazines, one carried each side. With the P365, I usually use one 10 or 12 round magazine in the pistol, and two fifteen round magazines as spares.

While it's unlikely I'm going to go through all the ammunition, there may be malfunctions to clear, a magazine may get dropped or lost in movement, or I may end up dropping one magazine to load a fresh and not recover the rounds; it's better to have more than less.

It's extra weight, but if weight was the concern, then I probably wouldn't be carrying in the first place. Having made the decision to do so, then it's a matter of finding a way to carry, and I'd rather have the extra magazine and capability.

With a five shot pocket revolver, two additional loads of five rounds each are what I carry.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually the biggest mag that works in the gun and isn't obstructively large. For Glocks, it's traditionally been a full-size mag with a +2 or a 21 round Magpul. For the P365, it's the 15 rounder. For 1911s, a 10 rounder.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Standard capacity. Spare 10 for 43x. Spare 15 for g19. Spare 17 for g17 and g45.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same as before all this crap started. G19 with X-Grip 17 round mag. Two spare G19 15 round mags in belt carriers.

I've always carried two spare mags for ANY pistol. Worst case scenario: first mag jams, has to be dropped. Second mag hopefully ends the fight. Third mag in after fight ends while waiting for cops and hoping the perps buddies/neighbors/relatives don't show up.

Goal is to handle as many probabilities as possible. without getting ridiculous. It's a real PITA pushing around a shopping cart with my AR-15, 12 gauge semi shotgun and boxes of spare ammo. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Depends on method of carry. If it’s stuffed in a pocket, I’ll carry 15. If it’s in a mag pouch, extended capacity

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Depends on the situation. Preferred and standard carry was a full size with 18 + 1 onboard and a 15 rnd on the side. When the COVID-19 panic started I made an adjustment and now carry the same full size with 18 + 1 onboard, but now carry 2 spare 18 rounders weak-side for a total of 55 rounds.

Subcompact, which is not my preferred method or typical, is a different story. 8 + 1 onboard only...although I'm re-considering carrying a spare now.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post