SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SAA and clone cylinder base pin bushing fitting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA and clone cylinder base pin bushing fitting? Login/Join 
posted
With all the threads around here about SAA's of late, I'm attempting to help a friend devise a fix for a dual cylinder Cimarron Model P made by Uberti.

The second cylinder appears unused, and possibly never fitted.

The cylinder base pin will not fit in the cylinder base pin bushing of the second cylinder.

If the base pin bushing from the primary cylinder is fitted to the second cylinder, everything operates fine.

Without access to a lathe or any machine tools heavier than an 80 year old table top drill press, anyone have any thoughts on the best way to enlarge the bore of the second cylinder base pin bushing about .005' to fit the pin in a non-hack manner that leaves the center hole concentric, does not involve great expense or a gunsmith?

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If both cylinders came with the gun from Cimarron, I would return the gun and both cylinders to them. It may need more work then is readily visible to be right. Why not have their gunsmith check it out and fix whatever is needed?

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
If both cylinders came with the gun from Cimarron, I would return the gun and both cylinders to them. It may need more work then is readily visible to be right. Why not have their gunsmith check it out and fix whatever is needed?

It was purchased 25+ years ago and paying all that shipping plus gunsmith fees would far exceed what the present owner is willing to spend on the project to shoot .45 ACP out of his .45 Colt.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The best way to fix this problem is to get the tight base pin bushing honed.
Since the base pin bushings are removeable, take both of them, along with the base pin, to a machine shop that has a Sunnen honing machine.
Any machine shop that is properly equipped will have a Sunnen honing machine. An automotive machine shop should also be equipped with a Sunnen honing machine.
Don't take the revolver or the cylinders to the machine shop as they may refuse to do the job because it's "gun" related.
Take only the base pin and both bushings. And only if they ask, the parts are for a 1938 Fordson tractor governor. Razz

Now, as far as doing that job yourself.
First, take a nice new fine cut mill file. Check the undersized base pin bushing for "hardness" with the mill file.
If the file "skates" across the bushing like it's made from glass, it's too hard for a "home repair" and you will need to get it honed. Obviously, do your file "hardness test" in a non critical location.

Now if the file actually removes a bit of steel, you may be able to do it yourself. You'll need a VERY good selection of drill bits. A twist drill can be used like a reamer if you're only taking out a thousandth or two. Use a micrometer to measure the existing base pin. Use the shank end of various drill bits (the end that goes in the drill chuck) and use them like a gauge pin for measuring the hole in the cylinder that fits. Your goal is to make the undersized hole the same size as the "good" base pin bushing hole. Use plenty of cutting oil, automatic transmission fluid works in a pinch.

Place the undersized base pin bushing in a machine vise that has a vertical "V" groove machined in the fixed jaw. It can be done on a table top drill press if you have the selection of sharp drill bits, and the machine vise. If you don't have the selection of drill bits available, it will be lower cost to get it honed vs buying the drill bits you'll need.

What is the selection of drill bits you'll need? Likely fractional, numerical, letter & metric. If you have only the eight piece set of fractional drill bits from Lowe's, take the job to the machine shop.

If you get the .45ACP cylinder to fit into the revolver, the "timing" can be checked using a range rod or brass bar that is a tight fit in the barrel. Check all charge holes in the cylinder.
What is the tight fit in the barrel? Tight enough you can move the range rod by hand, and little to none radial play.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
cee_Kamp

Killer response, cee_Kamp!

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the base pin bushing from the primary cylinder is fitted to the second cylinder, everything operates fine.

Isn't that the answer to his problem? Just swap the bushing when changing cylinders.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No drills needed, with only .005 to go.
Hone it at home with a hand lap and some clover valve lapping compound.
Nothing to it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lapping-tools/
You'll need to find out your revolver head space dimensions.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
GaryBF,
Yes and no. It depends on the OAL and headspace.
Yes, the original poster said the pin went through the bushing ID.
They did not say the end shake on the cylinder, nor the headspace, were within spec's when the bushings were swapped between cylinders.
Much better idea to keep the cylinders and bushings paired permanently, even if the bushings are removeable without tools.
Fix the existing problem, not create a new one.

Greymann,
That would do the job!

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
The best way to fix this problem is to get the tight base pin bushing honed.
Since the base pin bushings are removeable, take both of them, along with the base pin, to a machine shop that has a Sunnen honing machine.
Any machine shop that is properly equipped will have a Sunnen honing machine. An automotive machine shop should also be equipped with a Sunnen honing machine.
Don't take the revolver or the cylinders to the machine shop as they may refuse to do the job because it's "gun" related.
Take only the base pin and both bushings. And only if they ask, the parts are for a 1938 Fordson tractor governor. Razz

Now, as far as doing that job yourself.
First, take a nice new fine cut mill file. Check the undersized base pin bushing for "hardness" with the mill file.
If the file "skates" across the bushing like it's made from glass, it's too hard for a "home repair" and you will need to get it honed. Obviously, do your file "hardness test" in a non critical location.

Now if the file actually removes a bit of steel, you may be able to do it yourself. You'll need a VERY good selection of drill bits. A twist drill can be used like a reamer if you're only taking out a thousandth or two. Use a micrometer to measure the existing base pin. Use the shank end of various drill bits (the end that goes in the drill chuck) and use them like a gauge pin for measuring the hole in the cylinder that fits. Your goal is to make the undersized hole the same size as the "good" base pin bushing hole. Use plenty of cutting oil, automatic transmission fluid works in a pinch.

Place the undersized base pin bushing in a machine vise that has a vertical "V" groove machined in the fixed jaw. It can be done on a table top drill press if you have the selection of sharp drill bits, and the machine vise. If you don't have the selection of drill bits available, it will be lower cost to get it honed vs buying the drill bits you'll need.

What is the selection of drill bits you'll need? Likely fractional, numerical, letter & metric. If you have only the eight piece set of fractional drill bits from Lowe's, take the job to the machine shop.

If you get the .45ACP cylinder to fit into the revolver, the "timing" can be checked using a range rod or brass bar that is a tight fit in the barrel. Check all charge holes in the cylinder.
What is the tight fit in the barrel? Tight enough you can move the range rod by hand, and little to none radial play.

You said a mouthful!

I've got the next 10 days off, so I may be able to help the owner mess with this.

Machine shops in our area are pretty non-existent. Service Economy don't you know. There was formerly one right around the corner, but they sold out and a landscaping company bought the property.

Don't have a drill press vise, but have some ideas on improvising. This project further reinforces that I really do need a small lathe and a mill when move and get a larger workshop area.

I've got a million drill bits, when the bushing that fits was measured it came out right at 6.5MM which can be obtained relatively locally. The pin itself is slightly smaller, how much oversize should the bushing be vs. the pin diameter? Don't want to bore this out just to find that the existing bushing is worn oversize or something. I doubt it as this unit has not seen a ton of use, but you never know.

Files are not a problem either, have to test as you mentioned and see what happens.

Range rods, I swear I had a set, but where are they?

Thanks for the input!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:

Isn't that the answer to his problem? Just swap the bushing when changing cylinders.

Not ideal as, after firing some .45 Colt in the original cylinder, the bushing may not want to come out of the cylinder or go into the other cylinder easily either.

When all of this was originally being looked at and measured, the bushing took a little persuasion to come out of the cylinder until everything was deep cleaned.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
No drills needed, with only .005 to go.
Hone it at home with a hand lap and some clover valve lapping compound.
Nothing to it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lapping-tools/
You'll need to find out your revolver head space dimensions.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CQWaKFSov4E" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I like the lapping idea and I've already got some valve lapping compound in one of my toolboxes.

posted Hide Post
Remeasuring has been done.

Turns out center pin is more like .257" than it is 6.5MM. Since .257" is drill letter F, I just so happen to have one.

Also did some measuring on the OAL of the cylinders. Ratchets are the same height on both cylinders. With their respective bushings installed, the .45ACP cylinder was actually too long to fit in the frame window. It will need to be shortened a touch as well.

Progress, maybe.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but I just want to say I'm enjoying reading this thread. Great info here...looking forward to the resolution!

Posts: 8614 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bushing "reamed", "honed", shortened and installed.

Final function check after much trial fitting is positive.

Barrel to cylinder gap is right around .006", same as the .45 Colt cylinder.

Current hang up is not being able to find my range rods (which may actually be a figment of my imagination) to confirm cylinder to bore alignment.

Time to grab a micrometer and start measuring the diameter of things around the workshop to see how close I can get.......

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Take the .45ACP cylinder out of the gun.
Take your gun cleaning equipment and push a white cleaning patch into each cylinder charge hole from the back of the cylinder. (use the cleaning rod without a jag or tip)
Push the patches so they are about 1/16" short of the barrel/cylinder gap end of the cylinder. (goal here is six patches lodged in the charge holes, one patch per hole)
The "white patch" material will help illuminate.
Reinstall the cylinder.
Using a bright flashlight, or two, illuminate the barrel cylinder gap with the flashlight(s). Extra hands from an assistant or two WILL be helpful.
Look down the bore from the muzzle end. A "gross" misalignment will be visually noticeable. (human eye can see a couple thousandths misalignment when viewing concentric circles)
Check on all charge holes, with revolver cocked.
Don't forget to remove the white patches before firing with ammunition!
If it looks good visually, test with a lower pressure lead projectile cartridge on each charge hole.
You can place a sheet of copier paper sandwiched on a piece of manila file folder. (take file folder and cut it in half, 8.5" X 11" white paper added to each half of the file folder)
Shoot the revolver with the paper/manila file folder material located on both sides of the barrel cylinder gap. (about a foot away)
You can place the paper/manila file folder inside a cardboard box of the appropriate size and shoot the revolver inside the box after removing some cardboard top and bottom.
(cardboard box is a simple holder for the paper/manila file folder material)
Any "spitting" from the barrel cylinder gap will be visible on the white paper, the manila file folder underlayment provides physical strength to the paper so the "gas" blast doesn't shred it.
FYI: NO steel or iron for a range rod.

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Take the .45ACP cylinder out of the gun.
Take your gun cleaning equipment and push a white cleaning patch into each cylinder charge hole from the back of the cylinder. (use the cleaning rod without a jag or tip)
Push the patches so they are about 1/16" short of the barrel/cylinder gap end of the cylinder. (goal here is six patches lodged in the charge holes, one patch per hole)
The "white patch" material will help illuminate.
Reinstall the cylinder.
Using a bright flashlight, or two, illuminate the barrel cylinder gap with the flashlight(s). Extra hands from an assistant or two WILL be helpful.
Look down the bore from the muzzle end. A "gross" misalignment will be visually noticeable. (human eye can see a couple thousandths misalignment when viewing concentric circles)
Check on all charge holes, with revolver cocked.
Don't forget to remove the white patches before firing with ammunition!
If it looks good visually, test with a lower pressure lead projectile cartridge on each charge hole.
You can place a sheet of copier paper sandwiched on a piece of manila file folder. (take file folder and cut it in half, 8.5" X 11" white paper added to each half of the file folder)
Shoot the revolver with the paper/manila file folder material located on both sides of the barrel cylinder gap. (about a foot away)
You can place the paper/manila file folder inside a cardboard box of the appropriate size and shoot the revolver inside the box after removing some cardboard top and bottom.
(cardboard box is a simple holder for the paper/manila file folder material)
Any "spitting" from the barrel cylinder gap will be visible on the white paper, the manila file folder underlayment provides physical strength to the paper so the "gas" blast doesn't shred it.
FYI: NO steel or iron for a range rod.

That patch idea is pretty good.

Not sure about range testing anytime soon. Owner isn't able to get out to the range often, so that might be a ways down the road.

I understand your comment about iron or steel in a range rod. That said, the Brownells range rods I'm familiar with are steel: https://www.brownells.com/guns...ge-rods-prod655.aspx

I've seen some brass ones somewhere years back, unless I'm confusing range rods with squib rods: https://www.brownells.com/guns...75000-1251-4411.aspx

posted Hide Post
And range rod heads are ordered now that the fine folks at Brownells have confirmed that they are 10/32 thread so I can easily make my own handles for much cheaper than store bought.

posted Hide Post
Success!

Range rod heads in .22, .38 and .45 calibers delivered from Brownells.

Handles made for all three from some 3/16" brass rod and plastic knobs.

Range rod worked a treat and this Model P passed all 6 chambers on both cylinders.

Thanks for all the advice.

Now on to replacing the magazine spring and follower on a Mossberg 500.