SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 -10mm questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 -10mm questions Login/Join 
posted
I had a few questions for the Sig P220 10mm owners here…

Can you or have you shot 40cal/40s&w ammo through your sig 10mm? Any issues?

Are the 10mm mags for the P220 just 45acp mags with a modified mag lip?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but you can see the differences in the magazines on the sig website.

https://www.sigsauer.com/magaz...tols.html?model=1609

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It will usually work, but you'll be relying on the extractor to hold the shorter .40 S&W to the breech face; you won't be headspacing on the case mouth.

Some say it's OK, some say it's dangerous. I like to err on the safe side of things with my guns and won't do it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot .40s through it but that is just me.
I use 220 .45 ACT mags with zero issues.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...458-44522-p-543.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I have on occasion and had zero issues. As to is it safe? That is up to you to decide.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 570 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like you risk the possibility of catching the lip where the 10mm case mouth would headspace. Short jump so maybe low probability. IDK...

I wouldn't put this in the same class as shooting 38s out of a 357, where in both cases the barrel is set up to accept a bullet making the jump.

The 10mm mags have a rib that slightly narrows the inside of the mag vs the 45. But given Black's experience, I might try some factory 10 round 45 mags to see if they work OK.

At the end, you're still putting ammunition through a barrel that it wasn't chambered for, so if anything goes wrong, it's on you. Your call on the risk/benefit...

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I never tried the 10 rounders only the 8 rounders. I think folks may have had some issues with the 10 rounders if I recall correctly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post